Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best way for music streaming on home media server?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best way for music streaming on home media server?

So I have already running plex (not with music though). Wondering if there are any other recommendations? I also know about https://github.com/Kickball/awesome-selfhosted and will have a look later, too :P

Comments

• Ampache if you want to run with minimum resources. V4 is currently in pre-release, haven't had a chance to update, but it looks promising. Grab the Clementine player for Windows & DSub for Android and off you go.

Koel is also pretty nice, but lacks support for Windows / Android clients, it's just a web interface. Airsonic, Subsonic & other forks are written in Java and are resource hogging pieces of bloatware. They're great software, though.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • I use nfs to mount the filesystem, save playlists in .m3u format (which is essentially a text list of files), play it using mpv, and control the music from terminal or phone using mpv ipc server.

Thanked by 3Ympker eol that_guy
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited December 2018

@Jun said:
    I use nfs to mount the filesystem, save playlists in .m3u format (which is essentially a text list of files), play it using mpv, and control the music from terminal or phone using mpv ipc server.

Very useful and minimal indeed. However I was looking for smth a bit more fancy like spotify/tidal but for homeserver use :P

@solaire said:
    Ampache if you want to run with minimum resources. V4 is currently in pre-release, haven't had a chance to update, but it looks promising. Grab the Clementine player for Windows & DSub for Android and off you go.

Koel is also pretty nice, but lacks support for Windows / Android clients, it's just a web interface. Airsonic, Subsonic & other forks are written in Java and are resource hogging pieces of bloatware. They're great software, though.

Ampache and Koel look nice :)

Lol

• Let me know what you find

I am looking for something that works ar ARM architecture

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @noaman said:
    Let me know what you find

I am looking for something that works ar ARM architecture

mopidy

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • subsonic/airsonic/libresonic.

Thanked by 2eol Ympker
  • Anything with gapless playback?

• @dahartigan said:
    Anything with gapless playback?

ur mum

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • @Letzien said:

@dahartigan said:

ur mum

reported directly to nick.

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

@Letzien said:

@dahartigan said:

ur mum

mind the gap

Thanked by 2eol dahartigan
  • MasonRMasonR Community Contributor
    edited December 2018

Been using Madsonic for the past 6 months based on the recommendation of @Wolveix. Been enjoying it. I usually use the web interface for playing music on my PC and DSub for music on my Android phone.

Thanked by 2Ympker Wolveix
  • WolveixWolveix Member
    edited December 2018

Though it isn't self-hosted, I upload my entire music collection to Google Play Music as they allow up to 50,000 songs for free (they bump it to 100,000 once you've uploaded 20,000 though). I also keep it on my Plex server, but Plex doesn't handle music playback very well. Madsonic would definitely be my self-hosted solution of choice.

• Anyone tried Plexamp?

• I’m using Plex for my music archive. Works great from the iPhone when out walking/commuting.

Tried Plexamp on the computer, but it felt too light. Using their regular webapp instead.