Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a proper virtualization host in Germany
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for a proper virtualization host in Germany

Hi, I am looking for a Dedi/VPS with the following specs:

Must have

Server location: Germany
RAM: 64+ GB
CPU Cores: 6+
CPU Clock: 2.5+ GHz
CPU Features: VT-x/AMD-V and EPT/RVI
Bandwidth: 1 Gbps
Traffic: 20 TB /mo
Storage: 250 GB SSD Storage and 2 TB SATA HDD after RAID 1/10 losses effectively. 3 TB SSD-cached would also be ok.
Console access: Any kind of remote KVM possibility (paid is ok)
Connectivity: 1x IPv4 (NAT with a few ports is also ok if the inbound IP matches the machines outbound IP) and /64 IPv6

Optional (but nice to have)

CPU manufacturer: Intel
IPv4 Subnet: /28 (rDNS must be changeable for all IPs, only one will be used for mailing though (Port blocking would be ok). Daily mailing volume is ~5-50 outbound and 50-500 inbound. If this is not possible, I will tunnel the required IPs through OVH which requires reasonable peering with them obviously.

My monthly budget for the above specifications is 60,00 €.

Comments

• Hetzner? Get a good deal on the Serverbörse + get a /28

• SInce no one mentioned Hetzner...
    let me fix that.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • I have monitored their Börse for quite some time now but I was never able to find an offer which fulfills my storage requirements.
    Would you mind pointing me in the right direction?

• You can add drives via their flexipack offer.

Thanked by 2Falzo Hetzner_OL
  • mfsmfs Banned, Member

AtomKoffer said: I have monitored their Börse for quite some time now but I was never able to find an offer which fulfills my storage requirements.

Something like e.g. this and this (64 GB RAM, 2x{2,3}TB HDD, 240GB SSD, 6 cores/12 threads) seem to fulfill your requirements. If you have to pay German VAT it could be just a couple of euro above your stated budget.

Thanked by 1eol
  • Why no one still mentioned about Hetzner ?? Just get a one.

• You are absolutely right.
    Let me be the first to mention Hetzner in this thread.

Thanked by 1edit2
  • I can recommend this hosting, which will perfectly suit your needs.

Thanked by 1eol
  • eol said: Let me be the first to mention Hetzner in this thread.

Really? I guess we press send button at the same time.. But your ping 5ms faster than mine.

• eoleol Member
    edited December 2018

@Hukin said:
    Really? I guess we press send button at the same time.. But your ping 5ms faster bigger than mine.

• HukinHukin Member
    edited December 2018

eol said: Really? I guess we press send button at the same time.. But your ping 5ms faster bigger larger and deeper than mine.

Thanked by 1eol
  • Caroline from Hetzner cannot let you get wrong.

• mfs said: Something like e.g. this and this

I need the SSD Storage to be RAID protected too. So a minimum of two equal drives is required.

eol said: You can add drives via their flexipack offer.

This seems to exceed the budget in every possible combination.

• mfsmfs Banned, Member
    edited December 2018

AtomKoffer said: I need the SSD Storage to be RAID protected too. So a minimum of two equal drives is required.

From your OP:

AtomKoffer said: 3 TB SSD-cached would also be ok.

one of those offers has 2x3TB, you could setup the SSD as cache drive in quite a few ways.

• mfs said: you could setup the SSD as cache drive in quite a few ways.

Sure, but I need primarily write caching and that's not feasible without redundancy at the storage level. The "3 TB SSD-cached" would work if the storage is shared and the host is offering SSD-cached block storage with redundancy.

• mfsmfs Banned, Member

AtomKoffer said: but I need primarily write caching and that's not feasible without redundancy at the storage level

Does not compute. You possibly mean that the cache operating in writeback mode has to be RAID protected too per your requirements (albeit not necessary)? If that's the case and/or if you're looking for some kind of dedi with hybrid drives, you won't find any cheaper in Germany (and possibly, elsewhere)

• Hetzner EX41S has 64GB Ram and 2x2TB HDD at 39€ add two SSDs to that f.i. 480GB datacenter at 10€ each, lands you exactly 1€ below your limit.

just keep it for 79 months and you got the setup fee also in your budget :-P

Thanked by 1eol
  • mfsmfs Banned, Member
    edited December 2018

Falzo said: EX41S

I didn't order customized servers during BF, I wonder if they waived fees also when the customer asked for some customization.
    ((59*12)+79)/12=~65.60€/mo (~78€ w/ German VAT) on a yearly basis is pretty good too. I would really prefer that over an auction box without a second thought

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • @mfs said:

Falzo said: EX41S

I didn't order customized servers during BF, I wonder if they waived fees also when the customer asked for some customization.
    ((59*12)+79)/12=~65.60€/mo on a yearly basis is pretty good too. I would really prefer that over an auction box without a second thought

as you could order the flexipack stuff independently afterwards anyway, I don't think that would have interfered during BF sales ;-)

you could even get it a bit lower monthly if you take the 240GB DC SSD at 8€ per month, though I don't think saving four bucks vs double that space.

deal breaker on auction boxes is the 64GB requirement anyway...

Thanked by 2mfs vimalware
  • Too many suggestions but no one even talking about Hetzner!

Thanked by 1eol
  • True.
    I hope someone will chime in and mention Hetzner finally.

Thanked by 2vimalware Hetzner_OL
  • jackbjackb Member, Host Rep

@mfs said:

AtomKoffer said: but I need primarily write caching and that's not feasible without redundancy at the storage level

Does not compute. You possibly mean that the cache operating in writeback mode has to be RAID protected too per your requirements (albeit not necessary)? If that's the case and/or if you're looking for some kind of dedi with hybrid drives, you won't find any cheaper in Germany (and possibly, elsewhere)

It is necessary to have redundancy on a writeback cache. If your SSD fails on a writeback cache and you don't have a mirror, you just corrupted your whole filesystem. Oops.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • First-RootFirst-Root Member, Host Rep

Did someone mention Hetzner already?

Thanked by 1eol
  • I hope so.