Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

15 Days To Christmas | Australia-Germany-Canada | New Specials | £20 Per Year | KVM - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

15 Days To Christmas | Australia-Germany-Canada | New Specials | £20 Per Year | KVM

2»

Comments

• @Daniel15 said:
    @HostDoc Do you have any other offers for Australia, similar to the one in this post?

Right now HostDoc is killer for Australia KVM. Any plans for OVZ in Australia?

Hostdoc are putting out an hourly cloud soon and I really hope Australia is part of that.

Thanked by 1HostDoc
  • FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire
    edited January 2019

@Daniel15 said:
    @HostDoc Do you have any other offers for Australia, similar to the one in this post?

I am not sure if you are aware of their previous offers:

2 x E3-1245v5
    100GB HDD
    2GB RAM
    1GB Swap
    250GB Bandwidth @ 250Mbps
    1 IPv4

£25/yr
    Order Link (Aff)

1 x E3-1245v5
    20GB HDD
    512MB RAM
    1GB Swap
    500GB Bandwidth @ 250Mbps
    1 IPv4

£1.99/m
    Order Link (Aff)

Thanked by 1HostDoc
  • I'd be careful with using old promotions from hostdoc without confirming it's still valid. I tried to use an old promo and it didn't work out. They're serious about not deadpooling it seems lol :)

Thanked by 1HostDoc

@dahartigan said:
    I'd be careful with using old promotions from hostdoc without confirming it's still valid. I tried to use an old promo and it didn't work out. They're serious about not deadpooling it seems lol :)

From another thread:

HostDoc said: For deals such as BF offers, etc, they are fully honoured.

Thanked by 1HostDoc
  • dahartigandahartigan Member
    edited January 2019

@FAT32 said:

@dahartigan said:
    I'd be careful with using old promotions from hostdoc without confirming it's still valid. I tried to use an old promo and it didn't work out. They're serious about not deadpooling it seems lol :)

From another thread:

HostDoc said: For deals such as BF offers, etc, they are fully honoured.

Fair enough. In my specific case I tried to stack 2 of the resource pools together by purchasing another one a few days after the deal expired, and he popped up on live chat and politely reminded me that it was expired. He offered it to me anyway under the provision I don't use it all in Australia which would have defeated the point for me. I suppose filling a node with 1 customer is deadpool material.

@dahartigan said:
    Fair enough. In my specific case I tried to stack 2 of the resource pools together by purchasing another one a few days after the deal expired, and he popped up on live chat and politely reminded me that it was expired. He offered it to me anyway under the provision I don't use it all in Australia which would have defeated the point for me. I suppose filling a node with 1 customer is deadpool material.

Pop up in live chat is creepier than it sounds. I thought the live chat must be initiated by the users. :lol:

Anyway, I like the responsiveness and supports by HostDoc so far, hope they make enough to survive long in this market :)

Thanked by 1HostDoc
  • @FAT32 said:

@dahartigan said:

Pop up in live chat is creepier than it sounds. I thought the live chat must be initiated by the users. :lol:

Anyway, I like the responsiveness and supports by HostDoc so far, hope they make enough to survive long in this market :)

Lol I was logged into the client area, it surprised me because I've never seen a host that's so proactive. And yes the support is fantastic and very quick. The guys running support are cool, speak perfect English and can joke around. All a plus for me.

Not that I ever needed any technical support, it's just been account related questions and settling in.

• @Daniel15 said:

As mentioned by @dahartigan we will release a cloud range today which will include APAC locations.
    You are free to try old offers and if they work, you can use the plan.

@dahartigan said:

@Daniel15 said:

Hostdoc are putting out an hourly cloud soon and I really hope Australia is part of that.

No plans at all for OVZ, we like KVM here :wink:

@dahartigan said:

Your case was different and as you pointed out, it was to be used on a single node which would not have worked out in the long run. Thanks a bunch for understanding.

@FAT32 said:

@dahartigan said:

It is true, we do sometimes "pop" up with no user initiation needed. Your WHMCS accounts are linked with our tawk.to chat, once your logged into the client area, your details are auto populated in our live chat and we may initiate a chat from there if we need to contact you and the issue may be resolved quicker from there rather than bouncing around tickets which may take up to 30+ minutes to fully resolve.

We will launch the cloud line very soon. I expected for there to be a new years thread/section like BF where we could post new year offers but we may have to launch it via social media first.

• Happy New Year Guys.

Thanked by 2dahartigan wtfcook
  • @dahartigan said:

OpenVZ is pretty horrible and uses legacy unsupported kernel versions. KVM is much better.

@HostDoc said:
    Happy New Year Guys.

Happy New Year @HostDoc! All the best in your sales :)

By the way, the BF section is a new trial for 2018. I found that the single mega thread might be a better way to have more fun, as compared to a section that we try out this year.

I am not sure if there will be a thread for new year but let's see.

Thanked by 1HostDoc
  • @FAT32 said:

@HostDoc said:
    Happy New Year Guys.

Happy New Year @HostDoc! All the best in your sales :)

By the way, the BF section is a new trial for 2018. I found that the single mega thread might be a better way to have more fun, as compared to a section that we try out this year.

I am not sure if there will be a thread for new year but let's see.

Thanks for that. I did not know it was new and thought that was how special events were because I saw someone mention a certain company only shows up for BF and runs away again every year.
    Also saw it mentioned somewhere there would either be a dedicated thread or section for new years offers so was saving the cloud offer for that.

Once again, thank you so much. Best wishes for 2019.

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • @Daniel15 said:

@dahartigan said:

OpenVZ is pretty horrible and uses legacy unsupported kernel versions. KVM is much better.

Yeah yeah, so I keep hearing lol. Hammers are terrible for tightening screws and screwdrivers don't get them nails in. KVM is nice and all for full virt, but sometimes a simple VZ does the job better/more efficiently/cheaper.

Thanked by 1HostDoc
  • @HostDoc said:
    Your case was different and as you pointed out, it was to be used on a single node which would not have worked out in the long run. Thanks a bunch for understanding.

No worries at all, if anything it proves you won't deadpool from unsustainable offers :) I still can't believe what a bargain that resource pool is/was I'm hardly surprised you did it let me get greedy haha. Happy New Year :)

Thanked by 1HostDoc
  • eoleol Member

@dahartigan said:

@Daniel15 said:

@dahartigan said:

Yeah yeah, so I keep hearing lol. Hammers are terrible for tightening screws and screwdrivers don't get them nails in. KVM is nice and all for full virt, but sometimes a simple VZ does the job better/more efficiently/cheaper.

That's debatable.
    I can't see the "better" and the "more efficiently" but "cheaper" in many cases, yes.

• @eol said:

@dahartigan said:

@Daniel15 said:

@dahartigan said:

That's debatable.
    I can't see the "better" and the "more efficiently" but "cheaper" in many cases, yes.

Better = efficiency + price
    Efficiency because of shared kernel etc, no full virt overhead.

:)

Thanked by 1alilet
  • eoleol Member

@dahartigan said:

@eol said:

@dahartigan said:

@Daniel15 said:

@dahartigan said:

That's debatable.

Ok.
    But...
    don't you think newer kernels might be also more efficient and could possibly outperform those ancient kernels despite the minimal virtualization overhead?

• @eol said:

@dahartigan said:

@eol said:

@dahartigan said:

@Daniel15 said:

@dahartigan said:

That's debatable.

Ok.
    But...
    don't you think newer kernels might be also more efficient and could possibly outperform those ancient kernels despite the minimal virtualization overhead?

Maybe. Here's a real world example. Try installing a modern OS on a 64mb KVM with apache and php. It will OOM before it even boots. You can do it with OVZ and it works.

• eoleol Member

@dahartigan said:

@eol said:

@dahartigan said:

@eol said:

@dahartigan said:

@Daniel15 said:

@dahartigan said:

That's debatable.

Ok.
    But...

Maybe. Here's a real world example. Try installing a modern OS on a 64mb KVM with apache and php. It will OOM before it even boots. You can do it with OVZ and it works.

Seems unreasonable to me.
    I would never fire up KVM with less than 2GB but ok.

Thanked by 2dahartigan cybertech
  • Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited January 2019

@dahartigan said:

@eol said:

@dahartigan said:

@Daniel15 said:

@dahartigan said:

That's debatable.

I agree that it's more efficient due to the shared kernel. However, there's also a few downsides to that... You must use the kernel version and file system (eg. Ext4) used by the host. You can't install custom kernel modules (eg. If you want to use something like Wireguard) and instead need to ask the host to install them for you. You're restricted to images provided by the host, which I don't like (I'm not sure how much they've modified the image, so I always install from ISO).

Also, there's downsides to OpenVZ in particular, that other similar technologies like LXC don't have. OpenVZ uses legacy kernel versions that are no longer supported. Even OpenVZ 7 uses kernel 3.10, which has already reached EOL.

Thanked by 3eol dahartigan HostDoc
  • @dahartigan said:

@eol said:

@dahartigan said:

@eol said:

@dahartigan said:

@Daniel15 said:

@dahartigan said:

That's debatable.

Ok.
    But...

Can you still get 64 MB VPSes? You can get 256 MB VPSes for relatively cheap, and that's sufficient for a minimal Debian or Alpine Linux. Debian only uses around 30 MB RAM out of the box.

Oh also, LXC runs fine on KVM, which is useful. I have several LXC containers on my BuyVM KVM VPS. Some providers even enable nested KVM, so you can run your own KVMs on your KVM VPS.

Anyways, we're probably going too far off topic :P

Thanked by 2eol dahartigan
  • corbpiecorbpie Member
    edited January 2019

Asking for OVZ over KVM....it's the 1st of January not April 1st.

• @eol said:

@dahartigan said:

@eol said:

@dahartigan said:

@Daniel15 said:

@dahartigan said:

That's debatable.

Ok.
    But...

Have you met spectre?

• eoleol Member

@TimboJones said:

@eol said:

@dahartigan said:

@eol said:

@dahartigan said:

@Daniel15 said:

@dahartigan said:

That's debatable.

Ok.
    But...

Have you met spectre?

noibrs noibpb no_stf_barrier l1tf=off kvm-intel.vmentry_l1d_flush=never nospec nospec_store_bypass_disable nopti nospectre_v2

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@corbpie said:

OVZ sells better.

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • eoleol Member

@trewq said:

@corbpie said:

OVZ sells better.

I think it's because most don't care.

Thanked by 1cybertech

@eol said:

Price is the only factor, we are going to idle it anyway

Thanked by 2eol dahartigan
  • trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@eol said:

@trewq said:

@corbpie said:

OVZ sells better.

I think it's more indifference. For a lot of people they function exactly the same.

Thanked by 2eol FAT32

@trewq said:
    I think it's more indifference. For a lot of people they function exactly the same.

I agree with this. I don't have much trouble using either of them to run a website, API or database servers. The performance is slightly better for similar specification in KVM too, not to mention the cheaper pricing.

Thanked by 1dahartigan