Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Searching VPS for nested virtualization
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Searching VPS for nested virtualization

d0wnd0wn Member
edited December 2018 in Requests

Hi,
searching for a VPS which is useable for nested virtualization.
Need the following specs:

8-16 GB RAM
2-4 CPU Cores
200 GB Storage
1 Gbps @ 10+ TB/month
1 IPv4
Located in europe

Thanks for your help :)

No hetzner :)

Comments

• Just get a dedicated server

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • In europe I would go with Hetzner.

• @FlamesRunner said:
    Just get a dedicated server

No option.

@eol said:
    In europe I would go with Hetzner.

Not possible.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Go with Hetzner.

Thanked by 1eol
  • FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

What is your budget?

• @deank said:
    Go with Hetzner.

No option.

@FHR said:
    What is your budget?

As cheap as possible. But 10-20 € per month should be ok.

• Ok.
    Don't go with Hetzner.

Thanked by 1d0wn
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    • UK - London
    • 16GB RAM DDR4
    • 4 CPU Threads (E3-1270 v5 or v6)
    • 300GB NVMe storage (Backed up daily on a local separate raid array)
    • 1 Gbps burst (DDOS Protected) 10 TB
    • 10 x IPv4
    • /64 IPv6

€42.50 p/month

This can be delivered as a large KVM VPS with nested virt or as a resource bundle so you can just create your own virtual servers.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Just apologize to Hetzner for chargebacks and go with them because quite frankly you won't find a better, also reliable, deal.

Thanked by 2inthecloudblog ehab
  • @deank said:
    Just apologize to Hetzner for chargebacks and go with them because quite frankly you won't find a better, also reliable, deal.

I need a server outside of the hetzner network. Thats my problem :/

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

d0wn said: As cheap as possible. But 10-20 € per month should be ok.

Oh never mind then, go with Hetzner.

Thanked by 13606202
  • Perhaps Contabo? https://contabo.com/?show=vps

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/121676/contabo-review

It depends on what are you going to do with this vps. I am pretty pleased with the vps I have with. It's KVM, I have installed proxmox in it and created 5-6 containers, one large that is being used as a backup server and some small for light tasks like occasionally icecast server, a remote linux desktop (used for specific tasks some times per month) and some others. I do not host critical projects in it, so, I do not know the exact uptime of the server. But for my usages is more than OK, compared to the price I pay. Now, if you want to host live websites on it with no margin for any downtime at all or you are waiting for top-notch performance, maybe contabo would not be an ideal solution...

• d0wnd0wn Member
    edited December 2018

@ARiEWWW said:
    Perhaps Contabo? https://contabo.com/?show=vps

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/121676/contabo-review

It depends on what are you going to do with this vps. I am pretty pleased with the vps I have with. It's KVM, I have installed proxmox in it and created 5-6 containers, one large that is being used as a backup server and some small for light tasks like occasionally icecast server, a remote linux desktop (used for specific tasks some times per month) and some others.
    I do not host critical projects in it, so, I do not know the exact uptime of the server. But for my usages is more than OK, compared to the price I pay.
    Now, if you want to host live websites on it with no margin for any downtime at all or you are waiting for top-notch performance, maybe contabo would not be an ideal solution...

Talked with contabo and they don't offer the CPU flags for KVM inside KVM :(

• @d0wn said:

@deank said:
    Go with Hetzner.

No option.

@FHR said:
    What is your budget?

As cheap as possible. But 10-20 € per month should be ok.

Good luck with your budget.

Thanked by 4d0wn eol dedotatedwam FHR
  • Your budget seems reasonable.
    Have you checked the offers section?

• Will OVH work? I can put you on a E5-1650v3 with nested virt or also offer a resource pool and allow you to create VPS on demand.

• @HostDoc said:
    Will OVH work? I can put you on a E5-1650v3 with nested virt or also offer a resource pool and allow you to create VPS on demand.

Hi, slightly off topic, but you just list unlimited bandwidth in Plex VDS and Resource Pool Plan 1 & 4 - how much can we actually expect?

• @AC_Fan said:

@HostDoc said:
    Will OVH work? I can put you on a E5-1650v3 with nested virt or also offer a resource pool and allow you to create VPS on demand.

Hi, slightly off topic, but you just list unlimited bandwidth in Plex VDS and Resource Pool Plan 1 & 4 - how much can we actually expect?

If the plan is listed as unlimited BW in France then it will be unmetered at 250mbps.

• @d0wn First of all, don't do nested virtualization and get a dedicated server as a host node.

Second (of all), if you do, first do virtualization (like for example KVM) and then utilize containerization (like for example OpenVZ) inside the virtual host node.

Third, performance will be questionable and i doubt you'll be sleeping peacefully behind all that serialization. But why stop there? You should try running dosbox or mame emulator inside the container. Then inside the dosbox install Red Alert 1. Just for the kicks of it.

Thanked by 3d0wn dahartigan 3606202
  • Netcup provides KVM passthrough on their RS line for an additional fee, that should fit your budget. But go for a KS dedicated, it'll be better.

• exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR

@d0wn please check our V-Dedicated i5 package. Nested virt is enabled. It should be back in stock later today. https://www.wishosting.com

• @HostDoc said:

@AC_Fan said:

@HostDoc said:

If the plan is listed as unlimited BW in France then it will be unmetered at 250mbps.

So can I expect to use 150 TB per month (my usage is symmetrical)? If not, how many TB?

Sorry if I sound rude, or am derailing this thread.

• d0wnd0wn Member
    edited December 2018

@exception0x876 said:
    @d0wn please check our V-Dedicated i5 package. Nested virt is enabled. It should be back in stock later today. https://www.wishosting.com

Sounds good. But need more than 100 Mbps :(
    Are the 1800 GB Storage on a RAID or single disk?

• @AC_Fan said:

@HostDoc said:

@AC_Fan said:

@HostDoc said:

So can I expect to use 150 TB per month (my usage is symmetrical)? If not, how many TB?

Yes, you are derailing the thread. This is not our thread and continued questions should either be via PM, ticket, our site live chat or at the very least one of our threads if you want to keep it public.
    In answer to your question, it is unlimited, unmetered@250mbps so yes, a usage of 150TB is acceptable.

• In theory the maximum is ~81TB on 250mbps per month.

• exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR

@d0wn said:

@exception0x876 said:

Sounds good. But need more than 100 Mbps :(
    Are the 1800 GB Storage on a RAID or single disk?

It is a single disk.

• First-Root comes to mind: https://www.first-root.com/server/vps/kvm-power-edition/#fndtn-panel-premium
    not hetzner, nested full virt possible, also bigger plans available, @FR_Michael is always there to help ;-)

Thanked by 1First-Root
  • @eol said:
    In theory the maximum is ~81TB on 250mbps per month.

I said symmetrical, so roughly 2x of that.

Thanked by 1eol
  • @HostDoc said:

@AC_Fan said:

@HostDoc said:

@AC_Fan said:

@HostDoc said:

Yes, you are derailing the thread. This is not our thread and continued questions should either be via PM, ticket, our site live chat or at the very least one of our threads if you want to keep it public.
    In answer to your question, it is unlimited, unmetered@250mbps so yes, a usage of 150TB is acceptable.

Thank you, and sorry.

• @AC_Fan said:

@eol said:
    In theory the maximum is ~81TB on 250mbps per month.

I said symmetrical, so roughly 2x of that.

My bad.