Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why give a free service (shared, vps, email and so) ? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why give a free service (shared, vps, email and so) ?

2»

Comments

• The question is, why not?

• @Jeffrey said:
    The question is, why not?

And why not?

• Bornin.Asia has been my free project over all these while because I appreciate what this community has offered me, and it is my way for a relatively non-techie person (by the standard of LEB/LET) to give back within my current financial means.

No advertising and I am NOT selling any of my client info for cash,

• @zhuanyi said:
    Bornin.Asia has been my free project over all these while because I appreciate what this community has offered me, and it is my way for a relatively non-techie person (by the standard of LEB/LET) to give back within my current financial means.

No advertising and I am NOT selling any of my client info for cash,

Ok I understand the last part. But what if you got an sponsored dedi or vps froma hosting company.

Would you show the company ad or not?

• One possible way why people giving something for free is for beta testing their new system. its open to abuse, of course, but it also a good test for their new system and also developer/admin on how far they can handle problems, in real live situation.

anyway, I think if you want to help, you can donate some of your resources to open source developer guys, or you can support the developer that you think, you will gain most benefit.

sometimes help is just a help, if you want to help, just help in any way that you like, don't drawn to much how you'll get return. I land some big projects, that initially starts as I'm giving free help to my friend, without thinking that I will get something for return. And if you really want to make a big impact, don't do it alone.

• ShawniShawni Member
    edited October 2013

Here are my own opinions on why people should give free servers :

*Giving free servers can increase the knowledge in Web Design and build the future.

*Making life easier for people who are dying to express their computing & logical side without any expenses.

*Aid programmers without money to buy resources, by providing them the resources and allowing them to have an opportunity to develop the world of technology.

*Advertistments.

• Marketing cough DO

Thanked by 1Zen
  • @martip07 said:
    Would you show the company ad or not?

Never happened to me as I paid for my server + CPanel ( I did use TheHostingTool instead of paid WHMCS to reduce my cost though), but if you want to go with sponsored server then obviously (and most likely) you will be asked to put an ad on your site for them.