Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just saying...nobody topping Vultr's network performance
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Just saying...nobody topping Vultr's network performance

Granted my use case is not typical. I set up openvpn servers to let my home/office/other router connect as a client and funnel all traffic through it for privacy/security reasons. As such I need the best network and speeds. I've spent time with more than 6 of the most respected providers on the forum. Nobody's network is as snappy as Vultr's. There is another that I use, who shall remain nameless so as to not blow up their spot. But the recent flavor of the month, or of the Black Friday/Cyber Monday craze, has delivered to me wonky, subpar throughput and dicey specs on their maybe-too-good-to-be-true deals. Of which I purchased two. If you wanna say hey, you paid pennies, don't expect solid performance, OK. I'm disappointed nonetheless. If my home connections is 200 Mbps down/35 Mbps up, and when connected to a clean vps running only Arch linux, openvpn, dnscrypt-proxy, sshd, command line environment, etc., my connection is 55Mbps down and 25 Mbps up--you (provider) fail. Vultr is giving me the full everything, no matter the location or application. Not to mention the Black Friday Provider arm wrestles me over allowing the AES cpu flag which no other provider raised a stink about. My only limitation with Vultr has been some of their IPs are blocked from retail and other sites, making it somewhat less feasible to send my home/family connection through it, as my wife wants to buy stuff and some sites reject connections from their IPs. Their loss as we are legit. Just saying as a guy who has been doing this specific thing for 3-4 years. Vultr all day and twice on Tuesdays, don't get seduced by ridiculously low prices for someone shoveling their dregs and barely functioning stuff in your direction for pennies on the dollar.

Thanked by 1that_guy

Comments

• Neat.

• I like.

• !

• randomqrandomq Member
    edited December 2018

Good to know. Have you benchmarked any VPN services that are as performant, or are dedicated VPS generally better?

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

wdog said: If my home connections is 200 Mbps down/35 Mbps up... my connection is 55Mbps down and 25 Mbps up--you (provider) fail

That's not how networking works at all. ;)

• People sleep on Vultr, Beats DO and their "DEVELOPERS INDIE DEVELOPERS OPEN SOURCE DEVELOPERS HACKATHONS" stigma

• tomletomle Member, LIR

Damn I was actually interested but that wall of text... Sorry dude, moving on

Thanked by 2Clouvider Wolveix
  • Thanks for the mini review!

Come on people, is reading 20 sentences in a row actually too much in 2018? It took me less than a minute, and english is not my native language. OK, paragraphs would be better. Is that the problem here?

Thanked by 1neps
  • Writing is more blessed than reading.

Thanked by 2Yura dedicados
  • that_guy said: paragraphs would be better

Yes. Unfortunately people have shorter attention spans nowadays and a wall of text raises a flag in that dept, but also it makes the communication harder to parse. Coldplay wrote a song about it, para, para...

OP could perhaps tidy it up a little and he'll get less OT noise like my comment.

• OK, reading the OP on my phone just now (I wrote it on a laptop), it's a wall of text. Apologies.

My experience is anecdotal, and I've only tried 7 or 8 providers, but when I've needed to keep my full connection (100 or 200 Mbps) when going thru a VPN, Vultr has just plain worked. Several others have not been able to do the same, despite almost no cpu load, and being overspeccd resource wise for running openvpn.

Oh, and I'm in the NYC area with vps servers there as well.

• How many of the providers you used had their servers in NYC? When your server is 10ms and 5 hops away from you it isn't unreasonable to max out your home connection. Or are you talking about NYC Vultr having excellent connection to all the seedboxes in CA and FR?

• Vultr is my little known secret. Everyone they're bad, go elsewhere thanks.

Thanked by 3Clouvider sayem314 eol
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@wdog said:
    OK, reading the OP on my phone just now (I wrote it on a laptop), it's a wall of text. Apologies.

My experience is anecdotal, and I've only tried 7 or 8 providers, but when I've needed to keep my full connection (100 or 200 Mbps) when going thru a VPN, Vultr has just plain worked. Several others have not been able to do the same, despite almost no cpu load, and being overspeccd resource wise for running openvpn.

Oh, and I'm in the NYC area with vps servers there as well.

Then you should consider yourself lucky. It’s not how the network works.

Thanked by 1TheLinuxBug
  • @Tion said:
    How many of the providers you used had their servers in NYC? When your server is 10ms and 5 hops away from you it isn't unreasonable to max out your home connection. Or are you talking about NYC Vultr having excellent connection to all the seedboxes in CA and FR?

No seedboxes. Yes, I've targeted services with geographically close data centers in the hopes of minimizing hops/ping, etc. Some were not NYC but on the East Coast, or upstate NY. All had gigabit ports, btw. With one excellent provider (that I still use) in NYC, I initially had trouble getting max speeds (100Mbps at the time). This provider's super attentive support people moved me to a different node and it's been humming along at full speed ever since. Vultr in NYC and Miami has just been at top speed from moment one.

• @Clouvider said:

How come, exactly? Should it not be feasible to get 100 or 200 Mbps through an openvpn connection? I mean, I'm doing it on a couple different providers, but it takes some searching.

• @randomq said:
    Good to know. Have you benchmarked any VPN services that are as performant, or are dedicated VPS generally better?

I've used some commercial VPNs sporadically for privacy when downloading linux isos, but for this whole-house-connection application, I've always preferred to roll my own. But as I recall I could get almost the whole connection speed with the commercial VPNs.

• XeiXei Member
    edited December 2018

For the amount of money I spend at Vultr my biggest gripe is the lack of bandwidth pooling. I don't really get why they are against implemention or why it's so difficult for them to (been requested feature for years). I tend to spin up new VPS's at DO more often than not these days since I appreciate that functionality. Should be a basic offering by now for the big providers.

• So what the f*** you are trying to say here? Vultr is good, vultr is perfect, vultr is miracle? They are good provider, but not for all cases. Everyone has his choice. If you want to write a review, make it with more evidence, or easier to read, or at least in the Review section.

Thanked by 1chrisp
  • @corbpie said:
    People sleep on Vultr, Beats DO and their "DEVELOPERS INDIE DEVELOPERS OPEN SOURCE DEVELOPERS HACKATHONS" stigma

Thanked by 4bap bugrakoc Kris levnode
  • @wdog said:

@Clouvider said:

How come, exactly? Should it not be feasible to get 100 or 200 Mbps through an openvpn connection? I mean, I'm doing it on a couple different providers, but it takes some searching.

Maybe he meant that's not how his network works? ^_^

I suspect you need to be on a provider with 10gbit ports, good NICs, good drivers, and lightly loaded servers to really max things out like that.

• Weird flex but ok

Thanked by 1dedotatedwam
  • 7$

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Kitty murderer. Walls of text should be criminalized.

Thanked by 1eol
  • If you get a super cheap service it means overselling. It might not be a bad thing depending of your use case. But if they can oversell RAM or storage, remember that they also can oversell the network... no need to complain that you can't max out the theoretical speed of 'your' box: you get what you pay for!

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@randomq said:

@wdog said:

@Clouvider said:

I suspect you need to be on a provider with 10gbit ports, good NICs, good drivers, and lightly loaded servers to really max things out like that.

Nope. This still does not guarantee linerate.

• @Clouvider said:

@randomq said:

@wdog said:

@Clouvider said:

You are so smart and charming. Your customers are truly blessed. Thank you for your contribution.

• @randomq said:

@Clouvider said:

@randomq said:

@wdog said:

@Clouvider said:

You are so smart and charming. Your customers are truly blessed. Thank you for your contribution.

Actually we are. Superb host with affordable pricing, very active on LET... Approachable... I don't always agree with @Clouvider but he does run a tight ship.

Thanked by 1Clouvider