Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Equinix Tokyo
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Equinix Tokyo

Dear Lowend Folks,

Anyone know of good deals hosted in one of the Equinix Tokyo location/

bryce

Comments

• Why not go with Vultr? They have $3.50 plans that you can deploy in Tokyo (they're in the same building as Equinix Tokyo).

Thanked by 2eol inthecloudblog
  • I believe RansomIT's tokyo location is @, Equinix (@Oliver)

• estnocestnoc Member, Patron Provider

Perhaps i can be helpful :) we have both, vps and dedicated servers available.

Thanked by 1pike
  • @estnoc Do you have a test IP and may any offers for me?

• OliverOliver Member, Host Rep

@bryce what are you looking for? I might do a end of year special for Asian locations in Tokyo, Hong Kong and Singapore (all in Equinix facilities).

• tcp6tcp6 Member
    edited December 2018

Personally speaking I would never sign up for any offers from @Oliver from Ransom IT no matter how cheap or affordable it could/might be, for the sole reason of:

"Inbound and outbound counted equally. By default if the data limit is reached the VPS is shut down."

But that's just me.

Isn't that basically how any VPS provider especially using Solus is working if they are in a location where bandwidth actually costs money (i.e. not Europe or USA)?

Open to feedback on how else you think I can handle bandwidth management @tcp6 but I suspect typical LET users who might blow through their limits will not appreciate excess bandwidth bills. :-)

Thanked by 1Dwayne
  • tcp6tcp6 Member
    edited December 2018

@Oliver didn't mean it in a rude way or anything but the last 3 VPS hosts I've been (satisfied) with would only count outbound usage not inbound usage at all, which coming to think of it is pretty standard practice for a server, it's role being to transmit/serve data over the internet.

Besides the whole "We will shut down your VPS" phrase might be hypocritical for some of us, maybe you should just re-word it, re-phrase it differently, who knows.

As for the feedback on how else I would handle it? Here is a suggestion:

• Send an e-mail autogenerated by the system to the client when the monthly usage has reached above 90% or 95% threshold.
    • Auto-upgrade the VPS service to the next tier of service and bill the customer accordingly at 99% or 100%, then the client is left with two options: Pay up or GTFO but that is so much better in my book than a plain service suspension.

Rest assured that once a customer has been "auto upgraded" to the next tier once, they will think about it twice before abusing/exhausting the alloted resources later on.

My two cents.

Edit: You could also artificially cripple/throttle said client from 1Gbps all the way down to say 1Mbps that way the client can still access/backup critical data, which is what OVH does with some of their VPS and cloud solutions where bandwidth is more expensive than Europe/North America, by default the port is configured at 100Mbits then shaped to 10Mbps once the alloted resources have been fully exhausted.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited December 2018

tcp6 said: Besides the whole "We will shut down your VPS" phrase might be hypocritical for some of us, maybe you should just re-word it, re-phrase it differently, who knows.

But they will just shut down your VPS. Take your VPS and shut it down so that it is no longer running. What is there to reword?

tcp6 said: Auto-upgrade the VPS service to the next tier of service and bill the customer accordingly at 99% or 100%, then the client is left with two options: Pay up or GTFO but that is so much better in my book

Are you retarded or just trolling? Honest question.

Thanked by 1muffin
  • NDTNNDTN Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

@bryce You can take a look at our Tokyo, JP VPS here: https://greencloudvps.com/japan-ssd-kvm-vps.php
    We are on Equinix TY1 now. You can use the coupon TOKYO to get 40% off recurring with at least quarter payments.

• PhotonVPSPhotonVPS Member, Host Rep

We're in Equinix Tokyo

http://lg.jp.psychz.net/

@tcp6 said:
    @Oliver didn't mean it in a rude way or anything but the last 3 VPS hosts I've been (satisfied) with would only count outbound usage not inbound usage at all, which coming to think of it is pretty standard practice for a server, it's role being to transmit/serve data over the internet.

Not really an assumption I like to make about users activities, and considering traffic flows I see over a large number of sites it's also invalid to assume that because inbound and outbound traffic are actually more or less equal.

Besides the whole "We will shut down your VPS" phrase might be hypocritical for some of us, maybe you should just re-word it, re-phrase it differently, who knows.

Seems more like your problem is that I am upfront and direct about it, not the actual action taking place.

As for the feedback on how else I would handle it? Here is a suggestion:

• Send an e-mail autogenerated by the system to the client when the monthly usage has reached above 90% or 95% threshold.

There are alerts like this already, and some users upgrade when they get them. Some reduce their usage, some just let it be suspended and are happy to leave it offline for days or weeks each month consistently (surprisingly). You mention yourself as a customer but you might be very surprised at how people actually consume services like this if you were in the provider shoes. A lot of people straight up ignore those warning emails then still put in a emergency "WHY MY SERVICE DOWN" ticket straight after they consume their cap within 2 weeks of the month.

• Auto-upgrade the VPS service to the next tier of service and bill the customer accordingly at 99% or 100%, then the client is left with two options: Pay up or GTFO but that is so much better in my book than a plain service suspension.

That would just result in 90% of the auto upgrades being cancelled and invoices generated that would never be paid, especially with the crowd of users this site attracts. I am sure from about a decade in this industry that this approach will not work. Also then it risks a customer using many TB of data while their service remains offline and they have no intention to pay it or upgrade. Who is going to pay for that? Everyone else who uses the service appropriately because it just becomes another business cost that gets passed on to other users.

Rest assured that once a customer has been "auto upgraded" to the next tier once, they will think about it twice before abusing/exhausting the alloted resources later on.

My two cents.

Edit: You could also artificially cripple/throttle said client from 1Gbps all the way down to say 1Mbps that way the client can still access/backup critical data, which is what OVH does with some of their VPS and cloud solutions where bandwidth is more expensive than Europe/North America, by default the port is configured at 100Mbits then shaped to 10Mbps once the alloted resources have been fully exhausted.

That's actually a useful option which I am considering as well; but it's not that easy to implement with the management system used now and the other outcome here is you get users who ignore the warnings near the limit, then complain about performance issues when they get throttled. Honestly you can't win with many customer types and the best practice method which has always worked for me has just been to be upfront about the policy. Most people actually appreciate that and that I won't stuff them around with artificial limits or throttles or some other nonsense. If it means you aren't a potential customer I can live with that.

• @Oliver Frankly, it feels like we're derailing this poor guy's thread so I'll try to keep it short; regardless of what my thoughts are, at the end of the day it is YOUR business so it is YOUR decision to make how YOU decide to run things.

I merely stated that looking at your site and the proposed metered plans the little * asterisk leading to the bottom caught my attention until I saw the whole "We will shut down your service" phrase, maybe it is just me but I felt the phrasing was a little bit too harsh to my liking, but then again that's just me.

Let's not derail the guy's thread any further with added fluff, I wish you success in your endaevors.

• brycebryce Member
    edited December 2018

Guys, this is LET. Don't mind the derailing one bit ;-)
    @Oliver looking for anything KVM and affordable

• LowEndThread.

Decided based on @tcp6 feedback to try something new for the Asia POPs. Outbound only is metered on all of them now; inbound isn't...

• tcp6tcp6 Member
    edited December 2018

@Oliver said:
    Decided based on @tcp6 feedback to try something new for the Asia POPs. Outbound only is metered on all of them now; inbound isn't...

OMG HE DID IT!!!111!!!1111~~~

• Outbound data only is metered. By default if the data limit is reached the VPS is shut down; warnings are sent when nearing limit. If you need your VPS to stay online and have not purchased an adequate data plan then please contact us for customised arrangements.

Seriously though; the wording is so much "friendlier" now. It is.

Thanked by 1Checkmate
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@tcp6 said:
    @Oliver didn't mean it in a rude way or anything but the last 3 VPS hosts I've been (satisfied) with would only count outbound usage not inbound usage at all, which coming to think of it is pretty standard practice for a server,

Standard practise is to count both. Provider might get charged for inbound or outbound.

Standard practise is not to shutdown the server, is to send you a bill for what you overuse at the end of the month, without notice, same as your electricity supplier would do. But then it doesn’t work in LET market.

it's role being to transmit/serve data over the internet.

Then pay for it.