Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to transfer Proxmox VM to ESXi 6.5?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to transfer Proxmox VM to ESXi 6.5?

Hi all,

I have a new server running ESXi 6.5, and an old running Proxmox. I want to migrate all my 20 VMs from Proxmox to ESXi, is there any way to do this easily?

Thanks

Comments

• VitaVita Member
    edited December 2018

Search a little bit on google how to convert a proxmox kvm vm to OVA format which you should be able to import to ESXi.

You have a few tools available to achieve this but nothing out of the box on proxmox.

• @mokek said:
    Hi all,

I have a new server running ESXi 6.5, and an old running Proxmox. I want to migrate all my 20 VMs from Proxmox to ESXi, is there any way to do this easily?

Thanks

Can you provide us with the reasons you go with EXSI? I am a proxmox user and would like to see any benefits in doing so while you have to pay for it.
    Thx.

Thanked by 1hlv_trinh
  • hlv_trinhhlv_trinh Member
    edited December 2018

@dongne said:

@mokek said:
    Hi all,

Thanks

Can you provide us with the reasons you go with EXSI? I am a proxmox user and would like to see any benefits in doing so while you have to pay for it.
    Thx.

I am curious, too

Thanked by 1dongne
  • @mikho said:

Less downtime.

You are lucky then. I have been using ESXi for about 6 years and never seen so many OS-crashes in my whole previous life. I actually developed pretty serious allergy to purple-color! Compared to ESXi, Proxmox (or generally linux) is rock-solid...

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@Jarry said:

@mikho said:

Less downtime.

You are lucky then. I have been using ESXi for about 6 years and never seen so many OS-crashes in my whole previous life. I actually developed pretty serious allergy to purple-color! Compared to ESXi, Proxmox (or generally linux) is rock-solid...

I’ve been using ESX since version 3.X something and hade two purple screen of death.

First one was when the SAN crashed and the second one was because of a faulty driver from DELL, that server was not in production yet.

Using the converter you clone the machine live, you can do that as many times you wish.
    Then you turn off the machine and transfer only the changed blocks.

Then boot at new location.

That requires that you already setup the network and all other settings first ofcourse.