Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

low end dedicated server with old cpu or high end vps with newest cpu ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

low end dedicated server with old cpu or high end vps with newest cpu ?

mustafamw3mustafamw3 Member, Patron Provider

Hi . I found a cheap dedicated server from 39$ per month , but the cpu is old . the cpu is dual xeon X5650 With 8gb ram and ssd .

I can buy vps with E5 CPU and ddr4 ram with same price . should I buy High end vps or cheap but low end old cpu dedicated server?

Please help

low end dedicated server with old cpu vs high end vps with newest cpu
  1. dedicated server with old cpu or vps with newest cpu ?41 votes
    1. Dedicated server old cpu
      80.49%
    2. VPS high end with newest cpu
      19.51%

Comments

• Of course dedicated.

Thanked by 2mustafamw3 dongne
  • i had similar question for many days.

but many people suggested that using vps is better as you don't need to take care of server (especially if you don't know much about it).

after lot of thinking....i decided to stick with vpses.

i pay more than $100 on range of vpses per month and using dedi may reduce price but i am not good at server management so i stick to this path.

Thanked by 1mustafamw3
  • 2x 5650 is still good by today's standards. You'd need a very beefy E5 VPS to match it, and then there's the issue of CPU share. What are you going to do with it? If it's CPU intensive for long periods, I'd go for the dedi.

Thanked by 2mustafamw3 dongne
  • I can buy vps with E5 CPU and ddr4 ram with same price .

But how many vCores, ram, and disk space?

I think the quality of the provider also matters.

Thanked by 1mustafamw3
  • mustafamw3mustafamw3 Member, Patron Provider

SteveMC said: But how many vCores, ram, and disk space?

8 GB MEMORY
    6 vCORE PROCESSOR
    200 GB ssd DISK
    6000 GB TRANSFER
    they are good provider and I am a customer for more than year .

the dedicated server provider I am not sure about them

I read the terms of service of dedicated server providers they charge a 35$ for late payment and they not provide ddos protection for free

• @mustafamw3 said:

SteveMC said: But how many vCores, ram, and disk space?

8 GB MEMORY
    6 vCORE PROCESSOR
    200 GB ssd DISK
    6000 GB TRANSFER
    they are good provider and I am a customer for more than year .

the dedicated server provider I am not sure about them

I read the terms of service of dedicated server providers they charge a 35$ for late payment and they not provide ddos protection for free

Even if those vpses are cheaper than the old x5650, I will go with the old dedi in a heart beat.

Thanked by 1mustafamw3
  • Again, what do you want to do with the server? The dedi will have a lot more CPU cycles available, especially over the course of say a month. The VPS is possibly better in most other regards. So is CPU important?

• doughmanesdoughmanes Member
    edited December 2018

We've reached the point where dedicated servers and VPS hosting are roughly about thee same price. Mostly the reason people are still paying for VPS hosting is shared resource sharing (yes this is what your KVM VPS ultimately is) and its managed.

Dedicated server you can do your own thing but those specs you showed could suggest to me this "hybrid" thing going on with large resource KVM VPS installed on cheaper hardware with less customers on it. "6 vCORE" just has me wondering if this is the case. Nothing wrong but if you're assuming a dedicated server with just you on the server, that could be a problem.

Newest CPU won't ever matter unless you have CPU requirements.

Honestly for most of LowEndTalk, L5420s are good enough if the price is right.

• Something which can also be taken in consideration is if the dedicated has RAID or not. A VPS running on a server with RAID "may" offert a higher security for your data. A dedicated with only one disk requires more cautions (monitoring, backup, etc...)... of coure, on a VPS, you still have to do backups :)

• ShazanShazan Member, Host Rep

A dual xeon X5650 is still a decent configuration. I would go for it at the same or even slightly higher price.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited December 2018

It depends. Generally speaking, I have found that sometimes, a good vps with shared SSD raid10, good and not extremely oversold cpu and a good amount of ddr4 memorty is much much better from a low end dedi and you are free of the hassle managing a whole node. A dedi can be more flexible on handling recourses, max the load etc.
    As an example, I use some "root servers" from Netcup with dedicated cpu threads. The performance is outstanding and much better from more expensive low end dedicated servers I have. I can max out the cpu as the resources are dedicated, the SSD array is one of the fastest on those configs and I can add additional ips there. I have proxmox instanses installed to those servers (with LXC containers, but for an additional fee I could ask passing the apropriate cpu flags to use nested KVM) and I use it like a dedi, for less than 12 euros per month.
    On the other hand, for different needs, I have some low end dedis that can be full configurable by me and I am happy with them, even if they are not so fast as netcup's root servers.

TL;DR It's all about your needs, an answer cannot fit all scenarios.

PS. dual xeon X5650 is not that old and the perfirmance of this CPU is pretty decent, especially for your price with SSD disk. I would go with this dedi, except if your task is something that does not fit to the config.