Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is there any thing special with (Amazon S3) I can't do with VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is there any thing special with (Amazon S3) I can't do with VPS

inklightinklight Member
edited November 2018 in General

I was browsing a popular website I notice how fast Images were load , I checked img path I found it hosted at .s3.amazonaws.com subdomain I checked it on whatsmydns.net showed me multiple IP addresses ,
I know this called Cluster hosting , and it could be setup manually(I don't know exactly how ) , but is their anything more specially for their bit pricey Bills makes many companies Jostle over it ! specially if 99% of your visitors coming from same region/country .

Comments

• edited November 2018

You can but you have to build/develop them, a short list of S3 features/benefits:

Reliability and Redundancy (network and data)
    Multi regions (across the globe)
    Access control (security)
    Amazon API (programmable)
    Can be used with other Amazon Cloud services (Integration)
    Easy to use web interface
    Pay for what you use (can be pro and cons, because it can be costly if you don't understand)

Thanked by 1gks
  • @greattomeetyou said:
    You can but you have to build/develop them, a short list of S3 features/benefits:

bu I'm having big complex with providers who's billing per GB m, I read before some guy got very big bill n his account because Google feedburner bot, I think he create his own CDN instead ,
    + the price could not suitable for my projects e.g last month I spend 800GB bandwidth from my 12$/Yr VPS which Amazon could bill for 18.4$ for a month .

• If you don't need Amazon infrastructure and APIs, don't use them. Be happy with your VPS. Enjoy your life.

Thanked by 1eol
  • 36062023606202 Member
    edited November 2018

That Amazon stuff is corporate bullshit made for corporate people who like or have to buy corporate bullshit to make their corporation happy. Compliance and so on... So it's probably great in that corporation context, but if you aren't one and don't serve them, then give a shit about AWS. Bezos is a dick anyway.

Thanked by 3inklight bugrakoc cause
  • 3606202 said: Bezos is a dick

Could you elaborate?

• @greattomeetyou said:

3606202 said: Bezos is a dick

Could you elaborate?

• @greattomeetyou said:

Could you elaborate?

In metric or imperial units?

• 36062023606202 Member
    edited November 2018

@greattomeetyou said:

Could you elaborate?

Sure:
    https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/dick

And feel free to google:
    „bezos amazon business ethics“

Thanked by 2inklight eol
  • It can autoscale.

• how does it autoscale?

If I have WordPress running on an Amazon VPS instance or whatever it's called... how exactly is that propagated across the globe, etc?

if I am running MySQL at amazon how does that magically become available at some location across the map?

Other than the company never going out of business and their servers staying up I never understood the appeal or what the big deal is.

How does any of this "autoscale" or become redundant automatically?

• @sidewinder said:
    how does it autoscale?

If I have WordPress running on an Amazon VPS instance or whatever it's called... how exactly is that propagated across the globe, etc?

if I am running MySQL at amazon how does that magically become available at some location across the map?

Other than the company never going out of business and their servers staying up I never understood the appeal or what the big deal is.

You are confused. Scaling deals with demand. It is not redundant or reachability.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Just think of autoscale as how CPU works.

• gleertgleert Member, Host Rep

@yokowasis said:
    It can autoscale.

His dick?

Thanked by 3inklight msg7086 eol
  • AWS GCP Azure, they are cooperation facing products. They focus on those companies who's willing to pay a few thousand dollars per month. Their bandwidth is also not some random sht. They have to set up multiple POPs with fibers between them providing hundreds of gigabits of interconnection bandwidth. They all cost money.

For example, Microsoft Sharepoint cloud is running on their CDN. One from China can get stored data on servers locating in Ireland though their Hongkong POP at a fantastic speed and low latency. If you build that yourself, you are looking to pay a good premium.

So if you are not big cooperation / enterprise, not utilizing those powerful tools, you should not use their product. They are not for you.

Thanked by 1Hax
  • @sidewinder said:
    how does it autoscale?

Their server staying up is exactly what autoscale means. Normal VPS will just not responding if suddenly get traffic much more than it could handle it will just freeze.

This is not the case with Amazon, or Google. Both have auto scale that can increase RAM and CPU on the fly to accomodate any traffic spike. That's of course if you have the money to pay for it.

And no, autoscale is not the same as cdn. Which is another separate feature that can cache your website across their server across the globe. Yes it's possible. Your website will be getting cached across the globe.

• @gleert said:

@yokowasis said:
    It can autoscale.

His dick?

fitting with the hand.

• gfagfa Member
    edited December 2018

This is not the case with Amazon, or Google. Both have auto scale that can increase RAM and CPU on the fly to accomodate any traffic spike.

This is BS, ec2 instances have fix CPU and RAM sizes.

What autoscaling is is to dynamically increase/decrease the number of VPS (instances) behind a load balancer.

CDN helps, a lot, with static content (images, CSS, etc)
    Is easier/cheaper to serve static content from CDN than instances behind a load balancer. That would be the case of serving files from S3

• @gfa said:

This is not the case with Amazon, or Google. Both have auto scale that can increase RAM and CPU on the fly to accomodate any traffic spike.

What autoscaling is is to dynamically increase/decrease the number of VPS (instances) behind a load balancer.

Is easier/cheaper to serve static content from CDN than instances behind a load balancer. That would be the case of serving files from S3

https://aws.amazon.com/ec2/autoscaling/

• YuraYura Member
    edited December 2018

Autoscale is a poor man's version of Autoboot.

I say go with the real thing, pony up for Dewlance.

Thanked by 2kkrajk vimalware
  • Google has it. Amazon has it. @leapswitch has it, do has it (sort of). Not exactly rocket science.

• @Yura said:

I don't get the joke with dewlance and autobot. Mind to fill me in ?

• @yokowasis said:

@gfa said:

https://aws.amazon.com/ec2/autoscaling/

So, you just posted the link explaining gfa was correct and you're wrong in the very first sentence. You could have just said that.

• @yokowasis said:

@Yura said:

I don't get the joke with dewlance and autobot. Mind to fill me in ?

Long before a lowly bookseller even figured out how to create clouds out of thin silicon, our Dewlance, in his typical brilliance, gave us the Autoboot. If you were a fan of sliced bread, wheel or vacuum cleaners you would immediately recognize Autoboot as the greatest invention ever bestowed upon us.

Autoboot boots up your vps if you had a run away service and your system got shutdown. Autoboot boots up your vps if it was hacked and you were trying to minimize damage. Autoboot will boot you up until it won't. There is no guarantee when it will work because it's AI is too smart to work all the time.

You can't go wrong with Autoboot. You can't go right either.

Thanked by 2eol inklight
  • @Yura said:

So... straight?

Thanked by 1inklight
  • @Yura said:

So... straight?

No. Full stop.

• gfa said: Is easier/cheaper to serve static content from CDN than instances behind a load balancer.

Who told you that ! if you don't need to serve multiple contaminants cheapest CDN will cost you 3 time more then Fixed dedicated server port (100Mb/s up to 1Gb/s)

• One thing that Amazon S3 does best which your VPS can't do is drain your wallet.

• @gfa said:

**> What autoscaling is is to dynamically increase/decrease the number of VPS (instances) behind a load balancer.
    **>

So how does your app get propagated to new VPS's? Also - how does Amazon decide when to allocate more RAM? Is it when your VPS starts using swap? What if you run out of disk space bc of a runaway log file? it just scales forever while you taxed by Amazon bc your log file is growing out of control?

Conceptually none of this makes sense to me, but I'm probably an idiot - I just don't get how it works in the real world without giving Amazon carte blanche to rob you.