Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IP Subnet announced on more than one ASN.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

IP Subnet announced on more than one ASN.

Is it for say possible to announce identical IP space on more than one ASN.

For example... could I announce 1.0.0.0/24 on both google, and cloudflare at the same time.

It there rules against this?

Comments

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2018

You can, but just don't.

Whatever you're trying to achieve, there's a better way that doesn't make it look like you're hijacking your own space. There's a reason nobody does this and it's because it is pointless and needlessly breaks things.

• @jackb said:
    You can, but just don't.

Whatever you're trying to achieve, there's a better way that doesn't make it look like you're hijacking your own space. There's a reason nobody does this and it's because it is pointless and needlessly breaks things.

I am not looking to do it.

I'm curious more over if one subnet, such as 1.0.0.0/24, will only be announced by one AS, and never anymore.

• It depends on the owner. If it changes hands some one might reannounce it under a different ASN.

It should never ever be announced under two different ones at the same time. If it is then some one is either a fucktard or trying to hijack it. Either way it's a tits up situation.

• @AuroraZ said:
    It depends on the owner. If it changes hands some one might reannounce it under a different ASN.

It should never ever be announced under two different ones at the same time. If it is then some one is either a fucktard or trying to hijack it. Either way it's a tits up situation.

Alrighty, so I can fully expect that only one AS will announce a specific IP subnet?

• Correct and if it isn't that way refer to the tits up statement.

• LyphiardLyphiard Member, Host Rep

@AlyssaD said:

@AuroraZ said:
    It depends on the owner. If it changes hands some one might reannounce it under a different ASN.

Alrighty, so I can fully expect that only one AS will announce a specific IP subnet?

No, there are tens of thousands of subnets announced by more than one AS. Just take a look here: https://bgp.he.net/report/multi-origin-routes

• @Lyphiard said:

@AlyssaD said:

@AuroraZ said:

No, there are tens of thousands of subnets announced by more than one AS. Just take a look here: https://bgp.he.net/report/multi-origin-routes

That is what I was worried about.... Thanks.