Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SSD slowness
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SSD slowness

What can I do on my windows server to see why I am getting slow speed on my ssd I'm getting 300+mbps on my 250GB SSD but only 50-100mbps on my 500GB SSD both are the same brand evo how can I test to see the problem?

Comments

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2018

@HashTag said:
    brand evo how can I test to see the problem?

There's your problem. Samsung drives have horrifically low factory overprovisioning so you need to either set HPA or do a secure erase and leave some space unpartitioned. Sometimes HPA doesn't play nicely (OS detects the drive is showing the wrong space and tries to fix it) so unpartitioned space is easier.

I'd recommend adding 10% HPA / unpartitioned space. You will need to do a secure erase if you are going the unpartitioned space route.

Thanked by 2HashTag eol
  • Maybe try to trim?

• @jackb said:

@HashTag said:
    brand evo how can I test to see the problem?

There's your problem. Samsung drives have horrifically low factory overprovisioning so you need to either set HPA or do a secure erase and leave some space unpartitioned. Sometimes HPA doesn't play nicely (OS detects the drive is showing the wrong space and tries to fix it) so unpartitioned space is easier.

I'd recommend adding 10% HPA / unpartitioned space. You will need to do a secure erase if you are going the unpartitioned space route.

I have 4 850 EVOs and 2 850 PROs since 2014.
    No trim, no HPA.
    Still going strong and around 97% health on average.
    The EVOs will reduce speed after continously writing some (maybe 10 or 20, didn't pay close attention) gigabytes, the PROs won't.
    After a while the EVOs will be back to normal.
    I guess it's the cache that fills up and then the drive slows down temporarily.