Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Solutions for 80k/PVs a day WordPress site?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Solutions for 80k/PVs a day WordPress site?

Hi guys,

I'm looking for some suggestions. I have a WordPress site that gets around 80k/pvs per day. Usually, there 400-600 users online in the peak hours at a time according to Google analytics.

Right now I have a 6 core VPS with 12gb ram from asmallorange. I have cPanel installed on it and using engintron plugin to use nginx as reverse proxy (without engintron it was handling 80-90 users only). Frankly the vps is crap and oversold so I'm looking to switch to something better. I got it for around $120/yr last year (black friday deal).

What would be a good pocket friendly solution? Also, all the traffic is from Asia so should I look for some solutions around that part?

Thanks!

Comments

• caching your pages should help too.

• savitzersavitzer Member
    edited November 2018

@ZiriusPH said:
    caching your pages should help too.

I'm using WP super cache for caching & Fast velocity minify for minification. Also using AWS as cdn for static files. Should I add/change something?

Thanks

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

You're paying $10/month for 12gb ram and cpanel included?

Francisco

Thanked by 2kkrajk WebProject
  • SteveMCSteveMC Member
    edited November 2018

using engintron plugin to use nginx as reverse proxy (without engintron it was handling 80-90 users only).

Why do you use nginx as reverse proxy, and not directly?

And which version of PHP?

• vovlervovler Member
    edited November 2018

They don't even sell 6 core/12gb ram plans
    https://i.gyazo.com/e7374832296bd370851c3289bd5bc94e.png

If I were you I would go with centminmod, wordpress + cache enabler on a BuyVM LA or Vultr/Do/ExtraVM Singapore

• Remove cpanel and use lemp stack

Thanked by 1savitzer
  • Most probably OVZ. Just get a VPS or Dedi from a reputable provider

• Optimize your source code.

• Francisco said: You're paying $10/month for 12gb ram and cpanel included?

Customer using a trial and expired cPanel license shouldn't be ruled out so quickly

• savitzer said: Frankly the vps is crap and oversold so I'm looking to switch to something better. I got it for around $120/yr last year (black friday deal).

You contradict yourself in that statement: oversold but your budget is $10/mo

• Use varnish in front of your WP and you can support more than 2000 concurrent users. 1 core and 1GB RAM could be enough, but you will need a bit more power for the backend if the cache is refreshed on peak hours.

Thanked by 1savitzer
    • Remove cpanel
    • Use nginx directly
    • Use PHP7
    Thanked by 1savitzer
  • @Francisco said:

Francisco

Yes, it comes with cpanel.

@SteveMC said:

using engintron plugin to use nginx as reverse proxy (without engintron it was handling 80-90 users only).

Why do you use nginx as reverse proxy, and not directly?

And which version of PHP?

I was hosting multiple sites so needed cpanel. Now planning to move out this site to a separate vps.

Using php 7.2.

@vovler said:
    They don't even sell 6 core/12gb ram plans
    https://i.gyazo.com/e7374832296bd370851c3289bd5bc94e.png

If I were you I would go with centminmod, wordpress + cache enabler on a BuyVM LA or Vultr/Do/ExtraVM Singapore

Every year they offer double resources for 80% or something off on black friday.

I was reading into centminmod yesterday, I think I'll go with that. Do you think BuyVM's SLICE 2048 would work?

@manlivo said:
    Optimize your source code.

Any tips?

@imok said:
    Use varnish in front of your WP and you can support more than 2000 concurrent users. 1 core and 1GB RAM could be enough, but you will need a bit more power for the backend if the cache is refreshed on peak hours.

Never used varnish, is there a solution like cenminmod & easyengine that includes varnish?

Thanks guys!

• switch to static site generator, $5 singapore vps (linode/do/vultr) and cdn now?

Thanked by 2savitzer doughmanes
  • @imok said:
    Use varnish in front of your WP and you can support more than 2000 concurrent users. 1 core and 1GB RAM could be enough, but you will need a bit more power for the backend if the cache is refreshed on peak hours.

I do not see much sense in it, if he is running nginx already. He can use nginx/FastCGI, and it outperforms Varnish both in number of req/s as well as in response time...
    https://deliciousbrains.com/page-caching-varnish-vs-nginx-fastcgi-cache-2018/

Moreover, Varnish (open-source version) does not support https, so he would have to use ssl-terminator (haproxy, pound, hitch, etc).

I'm personally using Varnish becacuse I have to use apache (htaccess), but if I could switch to nginx, I'd ditch Varnish immediatelly...

Thanked by 1savitzer
  • KodisKodis Member
    edited November 2018

@Francisco said:

Francisco

asmallorange.com usually have 85.00% discount on black Friday :)

• yokowasisyokowasis Member
    edited November 2018

Perhaps you could try cloudjiffy. I have tried it myself, I could say it's impressive. You can setup varnish load balancing, apache / nginx, wordpress and stuff just by click, all from GUI. Very easy to setup and it auto scales very well, both vertically and horizontally.

Also cloudflare "cache everything" willl definitely help take some load off your server.

Thanked by 2savitzer leapswitch
  • 80k pageviews per day is next to nothing - just ensure your page is properly cached :) I have customers doing hundreds of thousands of pageviews per day on shared hosting.

Thanked by 2savitzer doughmanes
  • @Jarry said:

@imok said:

I do not see much sense in it, if he is running nginx already. He can use nginx/FastCGI, and it outperforms Varnish both in number of req/s as well as in response time...
    https://deliciousbrains.com/page-caching-varnish-vs-nginx-fastcgi-cache-2018/

Moreover, Varnish (open-source version) does not support https, so he would have to use ssl-terminator (haproxy, pound, hitch, etc).

I'm personally using Varnish becacuse I have to use apache (htaccess), but if I could switch to nginx, I'd ditch Varnish immediatelly...

I use Varnish because of the purge and invalidation rules, also grace cache if WP goes down

• Cloudflare or max cdn also help you.

Thanked by 1savitzer
  • You can't go wrong with centminmod (incl. cache enabler) @Do/Vultr/Buyvm/Luna

Thanked by 2savitzer eva2000

Super cache is great, especially if you don't have users commenting.

You can have nginx feed static pages directly and it's fast as hell.

Francisco

Thanked by 2savitzer sin
  • @Francisco said:

Francisco

ASA did some rough deals last bf, round 85% iirc. Following their promotion, they soon shut down their affiliate programs. Everyone was pretty upset about performance tho. What can even be excepted? That hardly covers cpanel license for individual.

Thanked by 1Francisco

@jetchirag said:

@Francisco said:

Francisco

ASA did some rough deals last bf, round 85% iirc. Following their promotion, they soon shut down their affiliate programs. Everyone was pretty upset about performance tho. What can even be excepted? That hardly covers cpanel license for individual.

Yeah even if you're one of the lucky older providers that has < $10/month cPanel licenses, you aren't leaving much on the bone here.

Francisco

• @jetchirag said:

@Francisco said:

Francisco

wait, is hosting supposed to generate profit?

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • desperanddesperand Member
    edited November 2018

savitzer said: What would be a good pocket friendly solution? Also, all the traffic is from Asia so should I look for some solutions around that part?

Thanked by 1savitzer

@Zerpy said:
    wait, is hosting supposed to generate profit?

Well, ASO is owned by EIG now, so I'd assume no?

Francisco

• @quick said:
    You can't go wrong with centminmod (incl. cache enabler) @Do/Vultr/Buyvm/Luna

Yeah Centmin Mod 123.09beta01's wordpress installer with one of the pre-configured choices of wordpress caching can easily handle it - handles 90,000 unique IP visitors per day (not pageviews) on 512MB VPS according to some Centmin Mod users. I've tested Centmin Mod LEMP 123.09beta01 LEMP stack on 2GB DigitalOcean VPS at 240-300 million hits/day at 10,000 user concurrency levels which does max out cpu but still handles it relatively well - of course needs some server level TCP/kernel tuning beyond the out of box defaults to reach that and only non-OpenVZ VPS like KVM/Xen VPS would be capable of such :)

Difference between Centmin Mod 123.09beta01 wordpress installer and regular non-Centmin Mod wordpress installs outlined at https://community.centminmod.com/threads/differences-between-wordpress-regular-install-vs-centmin-sh-menu-option-22-install.15435/

Thanked by 1savitzer
  • @eva2000 said:

@quick said:
    You can't go wrong with centminmod (incl. cache enabler) @Do/Vultr/Buyvm/Luna

Yeah Centmin Mod 123.09beta01's wordpress installer with one of the pre-configured choices of wordpress caching can easily handle it - handles 90,000 unique IP visitors per day (not pageviews) on 512MB VPS according to some Centmin Mod users. I've tested Centmin Mod LEMP 123.09beta01 LEMP stack on 2GB DigitalOcean VPS at 240-300 million hits/day at 10,000 user concurrency levels which does max out cpu but still handles it relatively well - of course needs some server level TCP/kernel tuning beyond the out of box defaults to reach that and only non-OpenVZ VPS like KVM/Xen VPS would be capable of such :)

Difference between Centmin Mod 123.09beta01 wordpress installer and regular non-Centmin Mod wordpress installs outlined at https://community.centminmod.com/threads/differences-between-wordpress-regular-install-vs-centmin-sh-menu-option-22-install.15435/

Damn, you even started working on an automated way to implement fastcgi cache. Good job!

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran
    edited November 2018

vovler said: Damn, you even started working on an automated way to implement fastcgi cache. Good job!

yup it's one of the last features to finish off (besides the huge amount of documention write ups/updates) before looking at making 123.09beta01 a stable release https://community.centminmod.com/threads/differences-between-wordpress-regular-install-vs-centmin-sh-menu-option-22-install.15435/#post-68746. You can see pre work commit entries on the forum for it at https://community.centminmod.com/tags/prep-wordpress-fastcgi_cache/

Default is to install KeyCDN WP Cache Enabler Plugin as it is more
    stable and reliable than WP Super Cache and Redis Cache.
    Redis cache may have issues with caching due to long 6hr cache TTL
    Fastcgi_cache (PHP-FPM) will have best performance
    You can select which caching method to use below:

--------------------------------------------------------
           Wordpress Caching              
    1). KeyCDN Cache Enabler (default & recommended)
    2). Redis Nginx Level Caching (may have issues with some wp plugins)
    3). Wordpress Super Cache
    4). Fastcgi_cache (PHP-FPM)
    Enter option [ 1 - 4 ] 4

Mind you the 240-300 million hits/day tests on 2GB DigitalOcean VPS was with Redis Nginx level caching but fastcgi_cache based would expect to even perform better !

Thanked by 2vovler savitzer