Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help Installing pi-hole on HostUS OpenVZ
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Help Installing pi-hole on HostUS OpenVZ

I am attempting to install pi-hole a HostUS OpenVZ vps. The pi-hole setup asks for the gateway address, but the vps doesn't show one in the output of ip r | grep default or in the interfaces file. Any ideas?

Comments

• PieHasBeenEatenPieHasBeenEaten Member, Host Rep

You gonna use with a vpn or not?

• @PieNotEvenEaten said:
    You gonna use with a vpn or not?

With a vpn

• The first hop of the traceroute is * * *.

• AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Hi @Xenos the gateway will be your IP xx.xx.xx.1 for all subnets, any issues log a ticket.

Alexander

Thanked by 1Xenos
  • @AlexanderM said:
    Hi @Xenos the gateway will be your IP xx.xx.xx.1 for all subnets, any issues log a ticket.

Alexander

Pihole script doesn't support public IP openvz network config. To use the script, you need to edit it where it wants to set IP and make it so it just doesn't try to set it.

Also, you'll run into permission problems unless you run a modified version from their dev branch.

They fucked openvz in Pihole v4 by running dnsmasq as pihole user instead of root. At some point, they should merge the openvz permissions workaround and not need a dev build. But since the start, pihole cannot handle openvz VPS IP setting.

• @TimboJones said:

@AlexanderM said:

Alexander

Pihole script doesn't support public IP openvz network config. To use the script, you need to edit it where it wants to set IP and make it so it just doesn't try to set it.

Also, you'll run into permission problems unless you run a modified version from their dev branch.

They fucked openvz in Pihole v4 by running dnsmasq as pihole user instead of root. At some point, they should merge the openvz permissions workaround and not need a dev build. But since the start, pihole cannot handle openvz VPS IP setting.

Yeah, I tested it and the install fails. I wish I had known this before renting an openvz vps.

• @Xenos said:

@TimboJones said:

@AlexanderM said:

Alexander

Yeah, I tested it and the install fails. I wish I had known this before renting an openvz vps.

The 4.1 they just released should work with openvz now. You'll still need to hack the script to skip IPv4 setting.

Thanked by 1Xenos
  • You can create the same thing, minus the pretty interface by just using dnsmasq ... works in any vps and works really well if you use the right blocklists.

Google dnsmasq ad blocker or something like that and there are good tutorials on it.

Use a free ad-blocking resolver or quad 9s as your upstream resolver in dnsmasq and you may get more blocking...

• @sidewinder said:
    You can create the same thing, minus the pretty interface by just using dnsmasq ... works in any vps and works really well if you use the right blocklists.

Google dnsmasq ad blocker or something like that and there are good tutorials on it.

Use a free ad-blocking resolver or quad 9s as your upstream resolver in dnsmasq and you may get more blocking...

The pihole pretty interface is the added value. Having white list, black list and query stats is the major value. It's such a hassle dealing with script only ad blockers.

For my Algo server that doesn't have pihole, I unison my lists from my pihole servers so they get the white and black list benefit, too. I recently heard of watchman, I think I'll be switching to that.

But yeah, waiting for some pihole enthusiast to open source a cloud synced white and black list platform for having a supported standard.

• It's not really, a script and it works great in a small OpenVZ, unlike pihole.

https://lowendbox.com/blog/host-your-own-dns-now-with-100-more-ad-block/

• TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited December 2018

@sidewinder said:
    It's not really, a script and it works great in a small OpenVZ, unlike pihole.

https://lowendbox.com/blog/host-your-own-dns-now-with-100-more-ad-block/

I didn't parse what you said. You just posted a link to manual installation of pihole from 2 years ago, using more steps than necessary, and without white or blacklisting. Scripts that downloaded blocklists and auto updated themselves have been around for over a decade. It really was adding the ability to add white and black lists that makes pihole popular now.

Like I said, they just released a new version that puts back the functionality to run dnsmasq as root, so it works in openvz. Why you'd go back to 2016 NOW after they JUST fixed your problem doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

Edit: Err, that was @Xenos that originally has openvz issue, not sidewinder. My mixup.

• I know its an old article, but I bought an OpenVZ server in my same city, allowed only my home ip and it works flawlessly especially with quad 9s ad the upstream resolver.

I used this article to make it work. Maybe others will find it useful.

Getting pihole to work on a small OpenVZ server was not worth the aggravation and maybe even impossible.

• @sidewinder said:
    I know its an old article, but I bought an OpenVZ server in my same city, allowed only my home ip and it works flawlessly especially with quad 9s ad the upstream resolver.

I used this article to make it work. Maybe others will find it useful.

Getting pihole to work on a small OpenVZ server was not worth the aggravation and maybe even impossible.

Impossible for those that cannot read, yes.

• @Xenos said:

@TimboJones said:

@AlexanderM said:

Alexander

It is a waste of time and energy truing to kludge it all together. The dnsmasq way works perfect and is super easy to set up.

• saggysaggy Member
    edited September 2019

Came here to tell everyone I got pihole to work with my openvz vps. I am also doing softether VPN on it where pihole/softether is configured to use dnsmasq server and its working flawless for all my vpn clients automatically. pihole installation script needed minor modification to get a successful pihole install and then some iptable commands to get it working for vpn clients.