Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Control panel for dedicated and virtual servers; what feature are you missing?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Control panel for dedicated and virtual servers; what feature are you missing?

terrahostterrahost Member, Patron Provider

Hello,

We're actively developing our own control panel for our customers to control and use their virtual and dedicated servers. Over the past months we've introduced a lot of new features, like custom ISO uploads, snapshot features, switch port control and much more.

Wanted to reach out and ask either what feature you usually miss with a control panel, being a custom made panel or a readily available one. Also, if there is a feature that you really like, we'd like to know aswell :)

The control panel we are developing in-house is called ENIGMA and you can check out a few screenshots and read more here:
https://terrahost.no/enigma

The reason I'm asking is simply because we want to introduce the features our customers want the most, and we'd love your feedback on what we've already accomplished.

We have a Public Roadmap on trello where you can keep track on new features and what's currently being worked on:
https://trello.com/b/niUuAh7y/public-roadmap-for-terrahost-as

Comments

• BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

Ah trello <3 I really love this tool/app :blush:

The road map is quite interesting and also most of the features listed is what the clients actually require. Seems to be quite good & near perfect! Kudos to your developers.

Just buy a VPS from @Fransisco & from VMHaus, see what their panel offers, develop it in your panel, voila!

• Was looking at it quickly, found this:

Would advise some sort of horizontal divider between the summary of the server on top and the different tabs later on. Looks like it's one page and feels quite confusing.

• terrahostterrahost Member, Patron Provider

@teamacc said:
    Was looking at it quickly, found this:

Would advise some sort of horizontal divider between the summary of the server on top and the different tabs later on. Looks like it's one page and feels quite confusing.

Thanks for your feedback. It's much appreciated. I understand what you mean, and we've split the summary and the other pages a bit now.

@BlaZe said:
    Ah trello <3 I really love this tool/app :blush:

The road map is quite interesting and also most of the features listed is what the clients actually require. Seems to be quite good & near perfect! Kudos to your developers.

Just buy a VPS from @Fransisco & from VMHaus, see what their panel offers, develop it in your panel, voila!

Yes we have been shopping around a bit, just to see what others are doing. A few features has come from that. :)

Thanked by 1BlaZe
  • CrossBoxCrossBox Member, Patron Provider

That IPMI confirmation message could be understood wrong when you first read it. I would rephrase it:

Don't change any BIOS or RAID configuration while in an IPMI session. It may cause...

And the traffic graphs, are they only historical or there is also a real-time updating one? I would add that also.

What do you use to communicate with the virtualization stack? I mean what is supported? XEN, OpenVZ, KVM?

Does it support clustering?

• Very nice!

• I'm not sure why some hosting providers don't do it but maybe something you run blacklist checks on your IP space and report it back to the customer in their client area where they know. Could be something unobtrusive and really unnoticeable up at the top.

Some may say you'd help spammers which is funny when this is offered as a service by a lot of websites but if you make it obvious like "hey you're listed" and "your listing keeps escalating. contact support for assistance." could help you cut down on those "oh i don't know" type spammers or somebody doesn't know their cPanel server is spewing spam.

The benefit would be if somebody is reselling your services, one less thing for them to chase down when we all want a clean Internet free from spammers and abuse.

@doughmanes said:
    I'm not sure why some hosting providers don't do it but maybe something you run blacklist checks on your IP space and report it back to the customer in their client area where they know. Could be something unobtrusive and really unnoticeable up at the top.

Some may say you'd help spammers which is funny when this is offered as a service by a lot of websites but if you make it obvious like "hey you're listed" and "your listing keeps escalating. contact support for assistance." could help you cut down on those "oh i don't know" type spammers or somebody doesn't know their cPanel server is spewing spam.

The benefit would be if somebody is reselling your services, one less thing for them to chase down when we all want a clean Internet free from spammers and abuse.

This is interesting and definitely something we should look into :) Putting it on the Roadmap.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • I can see that feature getting out of hand once they get bigger in terms of owning a lot of IP space, especially if it starts auto suspending clients, because they want the system to just work.

I know of a particular person who has written a very fast DNSBL scanner, and stores entries daily, but the issue is the huge amount of dirty IP space to get clients to pay attention to, and eventually if the amount of suspensions get too high, they will just leave altogether.

• Two chicks at the same time.

• doughmanesdoughmanes Member
    edited November 2018

techhelper1 said: I can see that feature getting out of hand once they get bigger in terms of owning a lot of IP space, especially if it starts auto suspending clients, because they want the system to just work.

You added suspension into my idea. My point was IP reputation and notification to the client, nowhere was a service suspending action mentioned from me. Maybe an annoying "hey maybe you should open a support ticket" popup once you build up a system, but not a suspension especially when dealing with UCEPROTECT or a /24 SBL on a VPS node.

Its easier to be proactive with IP blacklisting than reactionary.

Thanked by 1CyberMonday
  • @doughmanes said:
    Its easier to be proactive with IP blacklisting than reactionary.

"Block China" is more of a GeoIP issue, though..

• Ok guy we get it. You're edgy with your comments, edgelord.

• @doughmanes said:
    Ok guy we get it. You're edgy with your comments, edgelord.

Good luck with your budget.

Thanked by 1eol
  • @doughmanes What good is a control panel notification if the user has their account set to auto pay and the dedi/VPS does everything they need, and does not need to access the panel? Yes, you can always ticket the user, but from personal experience if a user does not answer a DMCA or fraud abuse ticket, do you really think they will respond to a single DNSBL listing?

• It's offering it as a feature. If you don't use it then you won't use it. If you're a terrible reseller, you'll be a terrible reseller. The point is good customers will want to use it and will be in their panel regularly. The world doesn't revolve around low end mentality

• agentmishraagentmishra Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2018

seems promising

• dedicatserver_rodedicatserver_ro Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2018

work you controll panel with WHMCS ?

• I can’t help but feel that panel looks very... inspired...

• jmginerjmginer Member, Patron Provider

Nice panel!

• qba82qba82 Member, Patron Provider

A little tip for OP: don't forget to make working plugins for WHMCS or Blesta.

• i'm wondering that will OpenStack api will be supportted?