Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Google Translator is no longer a joke. - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Google Translator is no longer a joke.

2»

Comments

• YuraYura Member
    edited November 2018

@emgh said:

@Yura said:

@Chuck said:
    translators are going homeless soon.

Who doesn't? Absolute majority of occupations will be wiped out by AI in a decade or two. What these people will do nobody knows. Some proposed the idea of Universal Basic Income to basically give out set amount of money and let people do whatever since no work for them but it sounds awfully close to communism. What will happen nobody knows. But AI is growing fast.

Well in case of not a lot of work needing to be done manually through labour, it's not really communism anymore.

I don't see how manual labor is a cornerstone of communism. The central idea is each person contributes and receives according to their ability and needs. Nothing about manual labor, though it was predominantly the type of work available to populations in the beginning of 20th century.

In the sense of Universal Basic Income - people are useless and all get the same pension since they are almost all as useless as the next one. Of course, linking it to communism would hurt the idea's perception so they mask it. To me the similarities are unmistakable.

• @Yura said:

@emgh said:

@Yura said:

@Chuck said:
    translators are going homeless soon.

Who doesn't? Absolute majority of occupations will be wiped out by AI in a decade or two. What these people will do nobody knows. Some proposed the idea of Universal Basic Income to basically give out set amount of money and let people do whatever since no work for them but it sounds awfully close to communism. What will happen nobody knows. But AI is growing fast.

Well in case of not a lot of work needing to be done manually through labour, it's not really communism anymore.

I don't see how manual labor is a cornerstone of communism. The central idea is each person contributes and receives according to their ability and needs. Nothing about manual labor, though it was predominantly the type of work available to populations in the beginning of 20th century.

In the sense of Universal Basic Income - people are useless and all get the same pension since they are almost all as useless as the next one. Of course, linking it to communism would hurt the idea's perception so they mask it. To me the similarities are unmistakable.

Well, if we're really doing this, any system requires future developing, trubbleshooting, fixing, solving, updating, scaling. There will be work to do, for the, not educated people, but for intelligent people.

Right now, power is in the hands of smart people. Smart people that knows compututers or (and) networks are so extremely essential. This will continue to be the case, and the repetitive working titles will slowly start to dissapear. This is already happening. We don't have no jobs, we just won't have easy jobs.

This is a really good explentation of excatly what I mean, put together much better.

Thanked by 1Chuck
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited November 2018

@Yura said:
    @jsg

From what I see you give too much credit to regular human's intelligence. Yesterday, today and tomorrow typical human is thinking very primitively, sucks at math, doesn't comprehend statistics and uses most of resources to eat, sleep, fuck and get away from work.

I certainly don't argue on that...

Today's computers can copy Old Masters paintings; make decisions in banking, stock market and insurance; drive cars and fly airplanes; discern sentiment in messages, translate them, interpret them and manufacture them; the list just doesn't end. Oh, and they learn fricking damn fast, improving daily.

No, they don't "learn". But you are right that computers - of course! - can replace people in tasks that need to quickly evaluate a lot and possibly complex data/information.

That may look like intelligence but isn't (even anything vaguely close to it). It's speed.

They didn't destroy that many jobs largely due to that technology becoming quickly available for everyone.

Last week I learned from papers and my friends how in several industries from banking to VFX there are massive eliminations for various job positions. Some are not so routine either, quite creative but that doesn't matter. AI is much cheaper than keeping a meatbag on a salary.

Don't wait for quantum computing. Look around today and calculate how many car drivers, store cashiers, storage workers, managers, call center workers are going to lose their jobs. Without any improving on hardware side, only through technology becoming more available and affordable to business owners. It's quite a lot of people. And it's happening now.

I think you misunderstood me. I'm absolutely not pro AI. My point was (a) to call a spade a spade (and hence to question the 'I' in 'AI') and (b) to show that there are at least some ways to cope with it and to make it useful for people instead of replacing them.

Btw, just look at how you described the majority of people (correctly, I'm sad to confirm). Should we be surprised then that e.g. corporations try to replace them with something that is cheaper and less obviously stupid and ignorant? Or in other words: Maybe the real problem isn't artificial "intelligence" - maybe the problem is wide spread human ignorance and lack of intelligence (or use of it)...

Thanked by 1Yura
  • @jsg, we are in agreement.

Thanked by 1jsg
  • http://www.translationparty.com/

Yeah, it's still a joke for East Asian languages <-> English translations.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

The end is nigh cuz Yura and bsdguy agreed on something.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@deank said:

You should work on your detective skills.

• YuraYura Member
    edited November 2018

@deank said:

fwiw, @bdsmguy never thanked any of my comments, his fingers were crooked and bent backwards from his previous encounters with NSA and Cloudflare henchmen.