Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How Do You Move From Hosting to another with No Downtime or DNS Propagation Delay?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How Do You Move From Hosting to another with No Downtime or DNS Propagation Delay?

Usually Name server changes usually take 24 to 48 hours to fully start working, which may take lot of time for DNS Propagation and website usually get down at some point,

So, how it's possible to do it without much of downtime ? any ideas ?

Comments

• desfiredesfire Member
    edited November 2018

Move site, change nameservers, if cPanel or other panel go to dns zone from old hosting and change IP of all fields.

If the visitor PC tries to connect to old site it will be redirected to the new IP (site), that is what I do

Or simply use cloudflare or anyother dns host so just by switching the IP the propagation is done.

• Thank you,

But If I use CDN like Cloudflare and manage DNS via CDN I think it will be much more faster, but I have issues with SSL and CDN .. so it's actually harder, and usually this not just for me for anyone actually.

cPanel Auto SSL and Cloudflare makes images don't show actually, and website looks bad, so I disabled Clouldflare,

DNS Propagation Delay 24 to 48 hours for example godaddy takes actually 24 to 48 hours as they said in documentation.

• Move database to new server with small downtime, then update the original webapp with the old provider to update the database on your new provider, then slowly move the rest of your stuff over. Once done, update DNS and re-sync any files necessary.

Lower DNS TTLs about 24-48h before the move. You can also set the nameservers on your original provider to point to the new server's IP address during the move.

• @Boltersdriveer said:
    Move database to new server with small downtime, then update the original webapp with the old provider to update the database on your new provider, then slowly move the rest of your stuff over. Once done, update DNS and re-sync any files necessary.

Lower DNS TTLs about 24-48h before the move. You can also set the nameservers on your original provider to point to the new server's IP address during the move.

Yes, good idea

• seaeagleseaeagle Member
    edited November 2018

many people spout 24-72 hours for dns propagation as "a rule" but it is entorely possible to manage dns propagation to be very quick. you should always plan for and advise of some downtime to be safe.

• IonSwitch_StanIonSwitch_Stan Member, Host Rep

Set your TTL as low as your provider allows (60 seconds)? Most of the world respects the TTL. Glue records can take significantly longer to propagate (which you aren't working with here).

• Set up the old serv as a proxy to your new one

Thanked by 4ehab Janevski jvnadr mfs
  • @teamacc said:
    Set up the old serv as a proxy to your new one

+1

• Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep

I always move content first, then change DNS settings but leave old server online for a while. Just allow a day or so with no edits, etc. A lot of the stuff I deal with is only UK based, so overnight is a good time for me to do stuff like that.

• You could use CloudFlare for DNS management only and it's very quick, less than a minute based on my experience. Just turn off the cloud icon next to DNS record if you don't want to use its CDN and SSL features.

• You can always alter your local Host to point to your new server and set it up. Once it's done change the dns. No downtime

• I generally do this by hosting my own DNS. Then I can stage/test, and cutover on a whim. Using others' services for DNS makes this more difficult.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

I don't know about doing it with panels and CDNs but it's easy doing it the old school way. All you need is some control over your servers both hosting and dns.

With a static site it's no problem at all. You simply copy your web stuff to the new server and have your site served from both servers during (new server) dns propagation (anything between minutes and 3 days, typ. 12 - 36 hours).

With a dynamic site it's a bit more complicated. In that case you copy all static parts (images, texts, code) to the new server along with a copy of the dynamic part (typ. a database) for testing.
    Once you are sure that everything is set up properly and works fine you (a) shut down the web server (httpd) on the old site (or put it to maintence mode) for a short time and copy the database again, this time for real. Then (b) you change the old website to redirect to the new one (e.g. by http "content moved" return code). Be sure to have your redirection mechanism point to the IP of the new server rather than the url (unless that is changed too).

• I mostly use cloudflare CDN, it's super easy to handle, quick to changes, fast enough and some of my sites do benefit from the rest of the CF goodies (cache, protection etc.).
    Dealing with external SSL is easy, there are tons of instructions out there for almost every setup or web panel.
    Besides, if your site doesn't need the issue of an owned certificate like Let's Encrypt or Comodo (e.g. for a small site, a personal blog, a small store's web presence etc., where encryption is not mandatory for anything else but for being search engine friendly), it can benefit from the shared cloudflare ssl with a couple of clicks and no renewal procedure (valid for 15 years).

• What’s the problem?

Set SOA refresh/TTL to smallest possible with your registrar (usually few minutes) let’s say a week before you want to move.

puff Problem solved.

I always do it that way - what’s the problem?

• @southy said:

Good luck with your budget.

Thanked by 1eol
  • @CyberMonday said:

@southy said:

??? How so?

• @southy said:

@CyberMonday said:

@southy said:

??? How so?

You must have missed last nights' shitposting spree, eh, @quick?

• @CyberMonday said:

@southy said:

@CyberMonday said:

@southy said:

??? How so?

dafuq?

• @quick said:

@CyberMonday said:

@southy said:

@CyberMonday said:

@southy said:

??? How so?

dafuq?

• Good luck with your budget.

• @CyberMonday said:

It appears so.
    I was 100% focused on Williams personal and professional breakdown - could be that I missed other dramas.

• @southy said:

@CyberMonday said:

It appears so.
    I was 100% focused on Williams personal and professional breakdown - could be that I missed other dramas.

Schizophrenia is a hell of drug.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@southy said:
    What’s the problem?

Set SOA refresh/TTL to smallest possible with your registrar (usually few minutes) let’s say a week before you want to move.

puff Problem solved.

While I agree in theory I have to disagree based on experience. Not everyone respects those settings. Quite some ISPs out there cache dns records as they like.

• @Go4Mart said:
    Thank you,

But If I use CDN like Cloudflare and manage DNS via CDN I think it will be much more faster, but I have issues with SSL and CDN .. so it's actually harder, and usually this not just for me for anyone actually.

cPanel Auto SSL and Cloudflare makes images don't show actually, and website looks bad, so I disabled Clouldflare,

Any more specifics on this issue? Are you sure the images are being embedded correctly?