Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Economical storage vps immune from days long fsck? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Economical storage vps immune from days long fsck?

2»

Comments

• REISER. In case you are fscking an image, the btree will be combined (under the house).

• ShazanShazan Member, Host Rep

@CyberMonday said:
    REISER. In case you are fscking an image, the btree will be combined (under the house).

Is Reiser still advisable with modern kernels and compared to other filesystems? Its development is dead since years.

• @Shazan said:
    Its development is dead since years.

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@CyberMonday said:

@Shazan said:
    Its development is dead since years.

Francisco

• @Francisco I refuse to make 'slice', and 'slab' comments here. @Nekki?

Thanked by 2Francisco Shot2
  • I am still using ext2.

• ShazanShazan Member, Host Rep

On a serious note, reiserfs was excellent even compared to ext4 with a lot of small files. My first backup server had reiserfs as file system and never had problems. Perhaps it still makes sense in some applications.
    It is a shame that it ended that way and it couldn't be improved further.

• On an actual serious note, ZFS is leaps and bounds above everything else- for the most part.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • Francisco said: It's awesome.

If you need 10k iops that's a problem but if you're doing that much you're likely missing some key indexes anyway.

Currently trying it as a replication slave and it works pretty good, load is <0.1. Seems like I can do this pretty comfortably and still be a good neighbor.

• Update: It is now just a few hours short of the three-week mark. My Serverhub VPS is still down and no ETR has been reported. After four days, I requested a new VPS with the same IP so I could swiftly reestablish from backups. Four days after that, I received one. In the meantime, I established service the hard way on LetBox. By the time the new Serverhub VPS became available, I had already worked through most of the kinks and propagation delays.

I haven't used the newer Serverhub VPS at all. The only reason I haven't terminated service is that I want to retrieve data (mostly email) that arrived after my morning backup on crash day. The Letbox VPS is humming along. It's about 98% solid. I'm well into the long tail of minor, overlooked, details. I'm still having some difficulty with news peering but that is to be expected. Most surviving news servers are essentially on auto-pilot. Getting attention to make even trivial changes is hard.

• The story actually has a conclusion! My VPS finally came back up 29 days ago, for a total downtime of a little over six months. I never received any kind of notice when the server came back online. I have now retrieved all data from the server and closed the account.

My current provider, Letbox, had a power outage a few weeks ago. I didn't even notice as I wasn't interacting with the machine at the time and it came back effortlessly when power was restored. That's the way it should be.

Thanked by 2uptime poisson
  • Wow, that sounds like some kind of record -- and not in a good way!

Any idea how much storage was on the Serverhub node that required so much time to return to service?

• Well, I believe a LOT of us here might not have noticed a six-month downtime because our server idling time is 11 months (approx. one month during the BF/Cybermonday period to hoard offers and run benchmarks).

Thanked by 1uptime
  • sanvitsanvit Member

A full disk array fsck takes 6 months? Thats just... Wow...

• @poisson said:
    Well, I believe a LOT of us here might not have noticed a six-month downtime because our server idling time is 11 months (approx. one month during the BF/Cybermonday period to hoard offers and run benchmarks).

That's why you protect your idlers with an idling HetrixTools account to ensure proper idling instead of just being offline.

Am glad OP got their data back!

Thanked by 2poisson ITLabs
  • @sanvit said:

At least it isn't an Alpharacks/PSK because he got his data back!

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@sanvit said:

Naa, that just does not happen, something else happened.