Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Slave Dns / DNS forwarder / Proxy?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Slave Dns / DNS forwarder / Proxy?

DXDDXD Member

is there any plug and play like dns forwarder. Like i have a master dns server which contains all the master records. Is it possible for a slave dns to just forward request to the master for it to actually resolve.?

Comments

• Yes.
    But why?
    An active-active situation would make more sense imho.

• There are a handful of legitimate use cases.
    BTW, even Nginx may be used as DNS forwarder, doing TCP and UDP proxying/balancing...

Thanked by 2DXD that_guy
  • nielsniels Member
    edited November 2018

I wouldn't call it a slave. If you want to have a proper secondary server, you will need to set up a proper DNS server as slave.

If you actually want to proxy/forward requests, I would suggest dnsdist (made by the people behind PowerDNS).

Thanked by 2DXD that_guy
  • @niels said:
    I wouldn't call it a slave. If you want to have a proper secondary server, you will need to set up a proper DNS server as slave.

If you actually want to proxy/forward requests, I would suggest dnsdist (made by the people behind PowerDNS).

Thanks for this but i am unable to dig the public ip. I set 0.0.0.0 as the local ip. But the public ip doesn't respond to queries at all. any heads up ?

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

@DXD just don't. There is nothing worst than misconfigured DNS server

• @gbshouse said:
    @DXD just don't. There is nothing worst than misconfigured DNS server

Just testing for a project . Don't know whats wrong with trying these days ? ?_?

• dnsmasq does a dandy job, but unbound work work as well.

Thanked by 1that_guy