Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

.com prices to rise significantly
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

.com prices to rise significantly

WeblogicsWeblogics Member
edited November 2018 in General

US Department of Commerce to lift price freeze on .com domains from December 2020 after extending contract with Verisign to run the internet registry until 2024.

The biggest element of the agreement is pricing. Previously, the agreement froze the wholesale price that Verisign could charge for .com domains. The new agreement still has pricing restrictions but allows for 7% price hikes in four out of every six years. Actual pricing must be negotiated with ICANN.

Those 7% price increases mean the price registrars pay for a .com could increase up to 31% every six years. They pass these costs on to their customers.

Verisign is the big winner as consumers face higher bills for .com domain names.

Thanked by 1inklight

Comments

• Verisign have a very lucrative niche producing basically nothing.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

Not impressed with this tbh. Verisign is a for profit company. I completely disagree with ICANN and DOC allowing a company to run the dot com and net TLDs.

Thanked by 2inklight AlwaysSkint
  • @MikePT said:
    Not impressed with this tbh. Verisign is a for profit company.

It's a monopoly. They hold a registry and take an exorbitant amount of money for it without any competition.

Thanked by 2MikePT ehhthing
  • Monopoly is prone to corruption

Thanked by 1inklight
  • @winer said:
    Monopoly is prone to corruption

That certainly is, but I don't see any need for it here. It's simple greed which is mandatory for a pro profit company. But maybe to maintain their monopoly they use corruption methods and lobby their interests, I'm not aware of it. Their profits graph looks interesting though. 1.5B in 2005, then sharp decline and slow rise to 1.1B now. Maybe some government regulations happened at that time, but the business didn't change much from my POV.

@Yura said:

@MikePT said:
    Not impressed with this tbh. Verisign is a for profit company.

It's a monopoly. They hold a registry and take an exorbitant amount of money for it without any competition.

Yep. It is. Thats known already. For a long time.

• Interestingly, monopolies often complain that they don’t have much profit or even loss.

• Interestingly, monopolies often complain that they don’t have much profit or even loss.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

If they go too far other TLDs will become popular and people will walk there /and or we will see more country TLD being used with .com getting more and more an international company TLD.

My guess is that Verisign will increase prices but only in small steps (after a potential larger first step).

• @MikePT said:
    Not impressed with this tbh. Verisign is a for profit company. I completely disagree with ICANN and DOC allowing a company to run the dot com and net TLDs.

Holy shit is it 2000 again? I need to put some money in Google and take it out of Yahoo.

Thanked by 1inklight

@CyberMonday said:

@MikePT said:

Holy shit is it 2000 again? I need to put some money in Google and take it out of Yahoo.

We are too late... Should have done it long time ago!

• armandorgarmandorg Member, Host Rep

@MikePT said:

@CyberMonday said:

@MikePT said:

We are too late... Should have done it long time ago!

You would have changed it's course of future. There is possibilities one little change in history, would make a new kind future. One small change, has a great impact.

Who knows, let would not even exist, would it be worth it? : |

• jsg said: If they go too far other TLDs will become popular

Won't happen because .biz was supposed to be the .com killer and if you want to look like a serious business, you have a .com and not some shit new TLD which later are just as bad with fees. Remember the craze about .hosting?

• Good news for all the other TLDs if you feel it's a big deal for your .com assets

• YuraYura Member
    edited November 2018

@ricardo said:
    Good news for all the other TLDs if you feel it's a big deal for your .com assets

@jsg said:
    If they go too far other TLDs will become popular and people will walk there /and or we will see more country TLD being used

Thanked by 1inklight
  • ricardoricardo Member
    edited November 2018

Total number of registered domains has been increasing by about 6 million a year.

53 billion WHOIS lookups a month. 3 trillion lookups to their authoritative DNS servers monthly. Pretty impressive numbers. Makes me wonder if there's ever been any technical hiccups with .com, can't recall any.

• @ricardo said:
    Makes me wonder if there's ever been any technical hiccups with .com, can't recall any.

Why would there be any? They run on Dewlance finest vps.

Thanked by 2Janevski feezioxiii
  • I was thinking someone could get a few OVH boxes (Canada, France, Singapore... CDN style) and put a bid in for managing the infrastructure.

• So assuming we already have .com domains, is it better to renew now for several years, or would it make little difference?

• BuyCott .COM long live .ONION

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Still waiting for .nigh domain.

Would perfectly go with end.is.nigh

Thanked by 1inklight
  • Let Verisign have it all, there are many other TLD available. The end is nigh, as @deank warned, but only for .com.

Thanked by 1inklight
  • mfsmfs Banned, Member

deank said: Would perfectly go with end.is.nigh

is.nigh would be a "premium" domain, $2000 starting

default said: there are many other TLD available

but they're not .com
    .xyz tried, and failed
    .ooo tried, and failed
    .gdn tried, and failed
    ccTLD? hopefully you've registered a .com as well, unless it's a domain hack

• Even though .com registrations are rising, I suspect the IDN TLDs will most likely take market share over the medium term, plenty population in Asia that are now catered for with domains in their local script.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Might be worth paying 2 grand as long as renewal is low enough.

is.nigh is indeed a premium domain.

• JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited November 2018

Screw domains. They're mostly just worthless leases.

Only get a domain lease if you are a company planning on selling stuff on the internet, or you need it as a part of a service infrastructure and there is no other way of doing it.

If you must host your own stuff and decide to buy a domain for personal use anyway, just get one domain lease, cheap, on the longest lease time possible, like 10 years or so and use subdomains if you need to host different stuff.

Don't register like 30 domains thinking they'll one day sell, it's a risky business, leave the domain squatter career to the professional scumbags.

• @Janevski said:

You tell 'em, 2001:0db8:85a3:0000:0000:8a2e:0370:7334!

• @CyberMonday said:

@Janevski said:

When I wrote mail address like that mailman gave me a funny look.

• @Yura said:

@CyberMonday said:

When I wrote mail address like that mailman gave me a funny look.

Sure he did. He though:
    "Yeah the guy is nuts, but as long as he puts a stamp on it he pays for my job, so: smile and ignore."
    The end is nigh, but who cares?