Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question: Are VPSes by definition on a shared network?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Question: Are VPSes by definition on a shared network?

ZiriusPHZiriusPH Member
edited October 2018 in General

Hello,

I am confused. I do not have any networking knowledge. Hope LET can help.

1. First, are VPSes by definition on a shared network?

2. VPSes has its own IP, but how come they are on a shared network?
    Say the provider said the uplink is 10GBPS, that's 10GBPS shared to other containers, but how come even its shared it has its own IP?

Regards,

Comments

• pikepike Veteran

You can have multiple IPs per network interface.

Thanked by 1ZiriusPH
  • Everything is shared, not just network. Even the dedicated server, the network is shared.

Thanked by 1ZiriusPH
  • levnode said: Everything is shared, not just network. Even the dedicated server, the network is shared.

so if the dedicated say its using 10GBPS network speed, that means you do not own that 10GBPS solely?

• JunJun Member

@ZiriusPH said:

levnode said: Everything is shared, not just network. Even the dedicated server, the network is shared.

so if the dedicated say its using 10GBPS network speed, that means you do not own that 10GBPS solely?

10gbps dedicated port is expensive, like a couple thousand USD. You'd know for sure that you have dedicated port if you paid that much :P

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited October 2018

ZiriusPH said: VPSes has its own IP, but how come they are on a shared network?

how come even its shared it has its own IP?

ZiriusPH said: I'm a Web Developer and Software Engineer for businesses

Really?...

• ZiriusPHZiriusPH Member
    edited October 2018

@rm_ said:

Really?...

don't be like that mate. You think not knowing how Providers allocate network for VPSes/DedicatedServers doesn't qualify me from building apps, web apps and softwares?

edited October 2018

ZiriusPH said: You think not knowing how Providers allocate network for VPSes/DedicatedServers doesn't qualify me from building apps, web apps and softwares?

Yes. And it's not "how providers allocate", it's just not knowing basics of how network operates.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • @ZiriusPH said:

@rm_ said:

Really?...

don't be like that mate. You think not knowing how Providers allocate network for VPSes/DedicatedServers doesn't qualify me from building apps, web apps and softwares?

i think this is the difference with someone who is self learning and others who spend thousands to study in university.

• Every VPS has it's own network and every VPS has it's own fiber optics cabling inside datacenter, and sometimes each big and stable VPS has it's own rack.

Thanked by 1vimalware

default said: Every VPS has it's own network and every VPS has it's own fiber optics cabling inside datacenter, and sometimes each big and stable VPS has it's own rack.

Now what we need is a v-eBay to buy old model decommissioned VPSes on the cheap to play with at home.

• A good rule of thumb is to assume everything is shared unless it says dedicated and if it says dedicated with you requiring it, double check with sales to confirm before ordering so you have it in writing.

Thanked by 1ZiriusPH
  • To answer your question: a VPS has a shared network, 99% of the time.

VPS(Virtual Private Server) is like getting a small Piece/slice of a dedicated server, and you have multiple users with these kinds of slices

Dedicated Server: You own the entire server yourself and only you are on it. The network is either dedicated or not, depends on the provider and price paid

Thanked by 1ZiriusPH
  • jackbjackb Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2018

@ZiriusPH said:

@rm_ said:

Really?...

If you studied CS, introduction to networking would have been part of your course. At that point you would realise there isn't 50 to 300 10gbit links sticking out the back of a node.

Thanked by 2rm_ Clouvider
  • KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2018

By definition all networks are shared at some level. Think of it like your house, you have a single router that connects to your ISP with the other people in your neighborhood so that neighborhood is on a shared network. You have a router/switch that all of your devices connect to making that a shared network. VPSs are the same way except they are connected to a virtual router/switch but all use the same network port(s) on the host putting them on a shared network. It's hard to explain so let me know if you want me to go more in depth with details to explain it further. The concept is kind of hard to grasp until you've built and managed things yourself then it clicks better.

Thanked by 2FHR lontong
  • rm_ said: Really?...

You're being a bit of a dick... We all have to start from somewhere...

edited October 2018

We all have to start from somewhere...

For someone who advertises themselves as a Web Developer and Software Engineer for businesses, one would think they should have already "started", and a long time ago.

I do love how people have such high expectations of people on here, it's really inspiring to see how people see everybody on here as perfect beings who know everything. Such an awesome community. :)

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited October 2018

I agree with @rm_ here. I don't mind people learning but, when a dude is claiming to be "a developer" (who is actually advertising to make money), then this whole thread is wrong.

This is like a self-claimed "car mechanic" asking how a car engine works.

But then I am a troll & a dick.

Thanked by 1rm_
    edited October 2018

deank said: when a dude is claiming to be "a developer" (who is actually advertising to make money), then this whole thread is wrong.

Ummm... what? How are the two even remotely related? How many routers and switches are you configuring when developing a website? Your car mechanic to car engine analogy sounds good, but in this case you're expecting a software developer to know how a car engine work. If the guy came in here and asked what PHP was, then yes you'd be correct in chastising the guy, hell if the guy was a developer for Virtualizor or SolusVM then you'd be right to give him shit for not knowing the inner workings of a VPS... but the guy doesn't claim to be a developer of VPS software so expecting him to know everything about a subject not related to his skillset is setting your expectations of him way to high (especially since he said in his first post he doesn't have any knowledge of networking).

I'm really hoping it's a language barrier thing, because that's the only thing that makes sense here.

• @KuJoe said:

deank said: when a dude is claiming to be "a developer" (who is actually advertising to make money), then this whole thread is wrong.

Ummm... what? How are the two even remotely related? How many routers and switches are you configuring when developing a website? Your car mechanic to car engine analogy sounds good, but in this case you're expecting a software developer to know how a car engine work. If the guy came in here and asked what PHP was, then yes you'd be correct in chastising the guy, hell if the guy was a developer for Virtualizor or SolusVM then you'd be right to give him shit for not knowing the inner workings of a VPS... but the guy doesn't claim to be a developer of VPS software so expecting him to know everything about a subject not related to his skillset is setting your expectations of him way to high (especially since he said in his first post he doesn't have any knowledge of networking).

I'm really hoping it's a language barrier thing, because that's the only thing that makes sense here.

Couldn't agree more!

You guys are insane.
    So if I'm following most of assumption here, it is also OK to assume this poor guy know how to write an OS, just because he advertises himself a web developer?

Thanked by 1ZiriusPH
    edited October 2018

It'd be more kind if OP's post history wasn't insane to begin with.

He is literally a lesser version of @Folom.

• imokimok Member
    edited October 2018

Maybe the "developer" part is not the problem, the "engineer" it is. Anyway, don't be too hard.

imok said: Maybe the "developer" part is not the problem, the "engineer" it is.

What's the problem with being a software engineer?

• @deank said:
    It'd be more kind if OP's post history wasn't insane to begin with.

He is literally a lesser version of @Folom.

Who is @Folom?

Have to agree with you though on what you stated above. I have a friend who works as a webdesigner/developer for a local news company. Does he know how switches work or how to do network config? No. Does he need to know? No. Would he benefit from knowing about this? Perhaps. All he needs to care about though is getting that website/content to work and/or design something and embed it in the website. That's about it. They have someone else who takes care of managing the webserver.

Thanked by 2ZiriusPH JackH
  • @KuJoe I think I didn't explain myself correctly. If he studied software engineering he should know how networks works. If he learned to code software himself there are more chances he skipped the networking part.

imok said: If he studied software engineering he should know how networks works. If he learned to code software himself there are more chances he skipped the networking part.

Networking? Maybe. VPSs? Most likely not.

Thanked by 1ZiriusPH
  • I know many web developers who really know what they're doing
    But then, when it comes to administration or setting up a VPS, they
    are giving this work to an administrator.

This must not be something bad in general. And that he's asking here, means,
    he's interested in knowing, how this stuff works out where his software is running on.

Thanked by 2ZiriusPH imok

@Timtimo13 said:
    I know many web developers who really know what they're doing
    But then, when it comes to administration or setting up a VPS, they
    are giving this work to an administrator.

This must not be something bad in general. And that he's asking here, means,
    he's interested in knowing, how this stuff works out where his software is running on.

Exactly, when this forum was created it was mostly here for people to learn about server management and all things VPS related. Over the years when people try to learn something the default response is to give them shit for not already knowing the answer. It's no secret this site has fallen so far from what it used to be, but it doesn't have to keep being a place for kids to see how bad they can make this site. We used to have moderators who kept them inline, but eventually the mods got tired of babysitting and then it became common place for the mods to join in or look the other way for fear of being ridiculed for being mature adults. We keep getting new admins who want to change things, but we all know how that turns out.

Thanked by 2ZiriusPH JackH

For better or worse, there is currently no alternative to LET.

I'd rather dance nude in front of Trump than use WHT.

• @deank said:
    For better or worse, there is currently no alternative to LET.

I'd rather dance nude in front of Trump than use WHT.

There is another certain small derivate community from this run by Jarland :)