Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Installing monitoring on VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Installing monitoring on VPS

neikneik Member

Hi guys,

I have a RS1000 G8 from Netcup since July.
Unfortunately, I had some random issues accessing it the last couple of days but since I don't have any monitoring set up I can't narrow down what the issue was.

My questions: What monitoring tools would you recommend to narrow down the issue in case it happens again?

The RS is running Ubuntu 18.04 LTS with the kernel 4.15.0.33 (.38 is the latest available, need to update it).

If you need further information, just let me know.
Thanks!

Comments

• edited October 2018

Is there a firewall installed ? Were you able to access your VPS later ?

• I enjoy hetrixtools and nixstats

• Hetrixtools, Nixstats and Nodequery

• Netdata

• Anyone used Zabbix?

• HetrixTools all the way. Aff link in signature

• UptimeRobot. Plus Nagios (or clone) for several hundred additional monitors that check stuff like memory/CPU usage and SIP subscriptions.

• We are using hetrixtools and PRTG and are pleased. would recommend to you as well.

• I tried to sign up for Hetrix blacklist monitoring and their emails are blocked since their sending IP is on the SORBS blacklist itself :D

• HBAndreiHBAndrei Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@tetech said:
    I tried to sign up for Hetrix blacklist monitoring and their emails are blocked since their sending IP is on the SORBS blacklist itself :D

We're using AWS SES for outgoing emails, and they have a very good deliverability rate, but I suppose no service will be 100% clean.

• @HBAndrei said:

@tetech said:
    I tried to sign up for Hetrix blacklist monitoring and their emails are blocked since their sending IP is on the SORBS blacklist itself :D

We're using AWS SES for outgoing emails, and they have a very good deliverability rate, but I suppose no service will be 100% clean.

I get loads hetrix emails to gmail. Sometimes I think they will charge me for the spam.

• Can confirm Hetrix emails go through to GMail, Hotmail, YahooMail and even AT&T email to text.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Netdata

• apt-get install cloud-data

• I have Netdata installed actually. Just found the logs but can't find anything suspicious, on the other hand I am not sure anymore when the error occurred.

I will have a look at this and in case this happens again I will have a look at the logs and might come back to you guys.

Thanks to all of you for all the hints!

• VeespVeesp Member, Host Rep

Hello! In my modest opinion, you do not need to set up monitoring if you suspect any internal problems on the server (such as hardware/software configuration), you can just have a look at the server logs. And if you assume network problems you can use uptimerobot.com which helps you to monitor your server for free and to send notifications.

• mfsmfs Banned, Member

Managed: see imok's reply

Solo: LibreNMS, netdata; installed on a different, separated box (it's a little less convenient with netdata). Setup mail/telegram/whatever notifications.

The "random issues accessing it" is a rather vague diagnosis

• Uptimerobot or pingdom

• I use Runcloud for this because I am a complete and lazy wana-be nub. Wana-be nub because I can, just lazy. Referral and normal (non-referral) links are in signature. I love the service, the support and how simple it is (one click go back to netflix!).

• @huntercop said:
    I use Runcloud for this because I am a complete and lazy wana-be nub. Wana-be nub because I can, just lazy. Referral and normal (non-referral) links are in signature. I love the service, the support and how simple it is (one click go back to netflix!).

So lazy you can't even say noob. Alex Trebec would also accept newb.

• Look like hetrixtools just increases Free Plan from 5 Uptime Monitors to 10.