Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Leaseweb: Up to 50% off on VPS - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Leaseweb: Up to 50% off on VPS

13»

Comments

• @Iam said:

noqqkk said: Is there any tutorial can be provided for using GRML to DD the image. Many thanks.

GRML is Debian based so it's certainly not difficult. Example:

wget -O- http://example.com/your-windows-image.gz | gunzip | dd of=/dev/vda

For me their console is hard enough so I am turning on the SSH server on GRML and access it trough SSH and doing the DD etc.

Thanks lam

Thanked by 1[Deleted User]
  • @Leaseweb2 said:
    @ru_tld thanks for that you're right, storage is NetApp, actually we use NetApp in many places across our platform. @JoeMerit the DDoS protection is via Wanguard https://www.andrisoft.com/software/wanguard. It will protect from most attacks but past a certain point you're looking at enterprise solutions and it'd be a very odd use case to have enterprise DDoS protection on a VPS.

As for datatraffic notifications, we have them and but they're on a 24 hour delay, so if your traffic is very spikey you may want to be careful, more details here: https://kb.leaseweb.com/customer-portal/virtual-server/virtual-server-management/virtual-server-management-actions/data-traffic-notifications-for-virtual-server. As luck would have it however we are launching a new monitoring service this week, details will be released in a few days.

Didn't you guys use huawei for ddos protection like you mentioned a back while even on you're website? Anyways leaseweb is only great for the cheap dedicated offers promos and the superb network not the volume one, similar premium provider with a network like theirs for vps you are better off going with light sail from Amazon.

• IIRC the virtual servers also have Premium Network.

Network types

LeaseWeb offers Premium network for your virtual servers. Premium network offers full redundancy on all routers, and uses multiple quality Tier1 transit providers, as well as private and public peering.

• sinsin Member
    edited November 2018

datanoise said: Curious about that too, if someone (@sin or @Lviv maybe) could tell us?

I'm running FreeBSD 11.2 zfs-on-root on the vps but here's a diskinfo of it:

root@ams-vm:~ # diskinfo -cti /dev/vtbd0
    /dev/vtbd0
        512             # sectorsize
        85899345920     # mediasize in bytes (80G)
        167772160       # mediasize in sectors
        0               # stripesize
        0               # stripeoffset
        166440          # Cylinders according to firmware.
        16              # Heads according to firmware.
        63              # Sectors according to firmware.
                        # Disk descr.
        d661f70eaf97442bb84c    # Disk ident.
        No              # TRIM/UNMAP support
        Unknown         # Rotation rate in RPM

I/O command overhead:
        time to read 10MB block      0.160607 sec   =    0.008 msec/sector
        time to read 20480 sectors  12.910937 sec   =    0.630 msec/sector
        calculated command overhead         =    0.623 msec/sector

Seek times:
        Full stroke:      250 iter in   0.288394 sec =    1.154 msec
        Half stroke:      250 iter in   0.287280 sec =    1.149 msec
        Quarter stroke:   500 iter in   0.536122 sec =    1.072 msec
        Short forward:    400 iter in   0.331580 sec =    0.829 msec
        Short backward:   400 iter in   0.419973 sec =    1.050 msec
        Seq outer:   2048 iter in   1.331165 sec =    0.650 msec
        Seq inner:   2048 iter in   1.286910 sec =    0.628 msec

Transfer rates:
        outside:       102400 kbytes in   1.249882 sec =    81928 kbytes/sec
        middle:        102400 kbytes in   1.233434 sec =    83020 kbytes/sec
        inside:        102400 kbytes in   1.233396 sec =    83023 kbytes/sec

Asynchronous random reads:
        sectorsize:      5467 ops in    3.047457 sec =     1794 IOPS
        4 kbytes:        5109 ops in    3.014036 sec =     1695 IOPS
        32 kbytes:       5466 ops in    3.050483 sec =     1792 IOPS
        128 kbytes:      1987 ops in    3.213466 sec =      618 IOPS

-edit- for reference here is my ovh vps:

Asynchronous random reads:
        sectorsize:      4774 ops in    3.086685 sec =     1547 IOPS
        4 kbytes:        4775 ops in    3.085698 sec =     1547 IOPS
        32 kbytes:       4774 ops in    3.085653 sec =     1547 IOPS
        128 kbytes:      4770 ops in    3.084139 sec =     1547 IOPS

• @Daverno we use a couple of different DDoS protection methods, but for our VPS we use Wanguard. Lightsail is a great product no doubt, especially with this sale but even in general I think our pricing stacks up pretty well, but it really depends what you're using it for as to what you think works best for you.
    https://www.leaseweb.com/cloud/virtual-server
    https://aws.amazon.com/lightsail/pricing/

• @vimalware said:
    IIRC the virtual servers also have Premium Network.

That's correct indeed :)

• Looks like they redid their data traffic/server shutoff option.

• Might be worth noting that running any VPN software on the thing that runs over UDP and you pull a few 100mbps, will trigger their anti-ddos software without any notifications about it, simply dropping UDP.

They're also not able to adjust it.. or rather, they don't want to adjust it.

• @sin said:
    Looks like they redid their data traffic/server shutoff option.

How does it work now?

• Anyone find it disingenuous that they release these 50% off deals and then at the start of this week they start sending all existing customers e-mails stating they will be raising their prices by 3% at the start of the year? Whats more, the price of my current deal that I have now magically bumps up to be almost the same price as the now 50% off price. I think I have been paying 3.84 Euro and now it will be 3.955 Euro per month, almost matching the now 3.99 Euro price tag. Almost doesn't feel like a deal anymore, somehow.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

Thanked by 2Xei Falzo
  • XeiXei Member
    edited November 2018

Yeah, they are raising prices on all of my stuff too. To be honest, it's barely worth keeping if this is the new trend. It's shady and disingenuous as you said. It's almost like you have to keep picking up 'deals' as they are going to continually be marking you up otherwise. And their performance is mediocre anyhow given the other options from competitors these days. I was a big fan (years ago) until others stepped up their offerings.

• @TheLinuxBug said:
    Anyone find it disingenuous that they release these 50% off deals and then at the start of this week they start sending all existing customers e-mails stating they will be raising their prices by 3% at the start of the year? Whats more, the price of my current deal that I have now magically bumps up to be almost the same price as the now 50% off price. I think I have been paying 3.84 Euro and now it will be 3.955 Euro per month, almost matching the now 3.99 Euro price tag. Almost doesn't feel like a deal anymore, somehow.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

@Xei said:
    Yeah, they are raising prices on all of my stuff too. To be honest, it's barely worth keeping if this is the new trend. It's shady and disingenuous as you said. It's almost like you have to keep picking up 'deals' as they are going to continually be marking you up otherwise. And their performance is mediocre anyhow given the other options from competitors these days. I was a big fan (years ago) until others stepped up their offerings.

Leaseweb increases their pricing every year according to their general terms, because they believe their cost went up 3% as well :)

It's nothing new for Leaseweb to do this, and they'll also do it next year ;)

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • Anyone using their L VPS (Singapore)? How is the performance compared to $10 DO/Vultr/Linode VPS?

• @TheLinuxBug said:
    Anyone find it disingenuous that they release these 50% off deals and then at the start of this week they start sending all existing customers e-mails stating they will be raising their prices by 3% at the start of the year? Whats more, the price of my current deal that I have now magically bumps up to be almost the same price as the now 50% off price. I think I have been paying 3.84 Euro and now it will be 3.955 Euro per month, almost matching the now 3.99 Euro price tag. Almost doesn't feel like a deal anymore, somehow.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

same here too. interestingly enough for my US account I could quickly prepay the next invoice which still shows the old price (6-month period). for the german one, I don't see anything in the billing area - that's going to be interesting then.

Zerpy said: It's nothing new for Leaseweb to do this, and they'll also do it next year

not neccessarily true, at least for me they did not raise prices last year.

• @Falzo said:

Zerpy said: It's nothing new for Leaseweb to do this, and they'll also do it next year

not neccessarily true, at least for me they did not raise prices last year.

They did for the NL branch (used to work there at the time as well).

Express S VM 1st september 2015: 20.47 EUR (6 months)
    Express S VM 1st september 2016: 20.47 EUR (6 months)
    Express S VM 1st september 2017: 21.13 EUR (6 months)
    Express S VM 1st september 2018: 21.78 EUR (6 months)
    Express S VM 2018 will be an additional 3% so 22.43 EUR (6 months)

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited November 2018

You missed the point. I bought in early early on and had a nice promo. Now, with the continued '3%' addition, it really isn't even a promo anymore. It seems like people buying in under the 50% off now basically get the same deal as someone who has been a long term customer now for many many years. The optics just don't seem right, whether or not they, 'do this every year', or not.

It just doesn't make a long standing customer feel all warm in fuzzy inside but instead is a bit off-putting. Probably will end up making the difference in where I choose to do future business as well.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

Thanked by 1Xei
  • @TheLinuxBug said:

You missed the point. I bought in early early on and had a nice promo. Now, with the continued '3%' addition, it really isn't even a promo anymore. It seems like people buying in under the 50% off now basically get the same deal as someone who has been a long term customer now for many many years. The optics just don't seem right, whether or not they, 'do this every year', or not.

It just doesn't make a long standing customer feel all warm in fuzzy inside but instead is a bit off-putting. Probably will end up making the difference in where I choose to do future business as well.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

@TheLinuxBug Unfortunately, our prices vary every year and this the reason for the 3% addition. We value all our customers especially our long-term ones and we understand your sentiment. We will take this into consideration and work to make things better. Thank you for raising your concern.

Thanked by 2NanoG6 Shazan
  • Hi Guys,

Just thought I'd let you know our Frankfurt platform has been upgraded and we're now offering the same deals there as in Amsterdam, if anyone's interested you can check them out here: https://www.leaseweb.com/cloud/virtual-server

Thanked by 3vimalware Shazan Lviv