Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Supermicro no vga/console output
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Supermicro no vga/console output

lurchlurch Member
edited October 2018 in General

I have a supermicro server with no vga output (checked jumper) I have ipmi access via gui but the console screen page just keeps getting a popup (you need to install latest version of java jre (which i've done). Anyone come across this problem before or know how to solve it?

Firmware Revision : 01.24
Firmware Build Time : 2013-11-29
BIOS Version :1.0b System
BIOS Build Time :11/06/2013

Comments

• Try using older Internet Explorer, and also you may have to do something with security zone settings in Control Panel/Internet/Security to trust the IP or add to intranet or something along those lines.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

That’s an ancient system

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep

No output at all or no output after boot?

If the latter try nomodeset.

• I've added security exception to java. No VGA output at all not even on boot.

• Try on IE 8 / Win XP VM. It's insecure but it might just work.

• @Clouvider said:
    That’s an ancient system

That's a worthless comment

Thanked by 2TimboJones rdes
  • Thanks for the advice I will try on xp VM. Strange VGA not working though, it has an x8 slot maybe an external one would work?

@ghettoHost said:

@Clouvider said:
    That’s an ancient system

That's a worthless comment

Not anymore than yours.

Ancient system = ancient applet = hard time on newer OS.

• Tried xp java 7 and different browsers no change. Did BMC reset and now get the console pop up on my win 7 machine but says no signal.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Try it on a XP machine.

When you connect t the screen directly to the server, do you get video ?

• No

Then how would IPMI be able to work ?

You are likely having an issue with this server that prevents it from booting. Given you can login to Aspeed potentially motherboard died. Might try to clear CMOS through jumper, disconnect everything except power, CPU and a single memory module and see if it boots then.

If it does - you need to find what was preventing it by re-instating components one by one. If it doesn’t - you need a new motherboard, or a server.

• Indeed I did say in the op that VGA doesn't work. I was hoping it was just my monitor playing up hence trying through ipmi as I understand they are linked.

It's probably toast was just hoping. Anyone know of a cheap external graphics card that would fit?

edited October 2018

To be fair given how the thread rolled it was implied you have issues accessing IPMI KVM console. No info that you physically checked with the screen.

Does the server boot the OS? If not, I don’t think buying graphic card is money well spent.

• Ah I did say "I have a supermicro server with no vga output (checked jumper)" but yes I was having trouble accessing the console via ipmi. Unable to tell if booting into os, I will get a graphics card.

Given your current graphic card is in the BMC/IPMI chip, and IPMI seems to work fine, your money is likely better spent on eBay hunting another server.

• Anybody point me to a cheapo graphics card that would fit this?

edited October 2018

Not enough information. How many power lanes does the motherboard feed to the riser ? It’s often not the same to how many lanes the port has.

• PCI-Express 1x PCI-E 2.0 x8 slot

• birchbeerbirchbeer Member
    edited October 2018

@lurch said:
    PCI-Express 1x PCI-E 2.0 x8 slot

You don't have a x16 slot? If you only have an x8 slot, I probably would try to pick up a used x1 card off ebay. They should run about USD$20. The x8 cards run a bit more and probably not worth it.