Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[MXroute] Pre-Black Friday
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[MXroute] Pre-Black Friday

jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
edited October 2018 in Offers

Hey friends!

We're gearing up for a strong Black Friday for 2018 at MXroute. During that preparation, I'd like to fill up a couple of servers, and I was wondering if you'd help me out. Most of you already know what I'm offering, so for you I'm going to jump straight into the offer details:

20GB Storage
Unlimited Domains
Unlimited Email Accounts
$10/year
Click here to order

For those of you who may be new to MXroute, let me tell you a bit about who we are today. Today MXroute consists of it's founder Jarland (me), the alternate identity I would have if I were a better person that goes by Louis (seriously he's awesome). Of course, the wife plays a role in helping with financials, Ryan is the co-founder and would take my place if I kicked the bucket tomorrow.

So what is MXroute? MXroute is an email hosting provider with the stretch goal of taking on the status quo in the email industry and turning it upside down. No per user cost, pay for the storage you use, and a commitment to high quality inbox delivery (sometimes variables stack in a way that prevent us from providing it, but we still continually work toward the service not being one of those variables).

We provide:

• SMTP / POP3 / IMAP
  • Roundcube, Horde (webmail only), squirrelmail
  • cPanel interface (Why cPanel?)
  • iOS Push
  • Server side filters
  • In-house outbound filtering / rotating delivery system
  • IP reputation issues rarely a problem (and usually mitigated transparently in the case that they do appear, emails are then delivered from another IP)
  • MailCheap fallback (if delivery fails from our system, final delivery attempt goes through MailCheap)
  • 300 outbound emails per hour

We want to keep growing and challenging the industry. Your support is what will put us there. Thank you for taking the time to read this offer, and I hope that it meets your needs <3

Jarland

Comments

• thanks grab it. Any bigger plan offer please?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@mexyul said:
    thanks grab it. Any bigger plan offer please?

40GB storage for $60/year: https://billing.mxroute.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=47

Working on something unique for Black Friday but it's stock will be limited. Let's just say custom server build :)

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

That's racist.

Francisco

• Any specific location on this deal? I have an older deal with you (60 GB for 15$) that was provisioned in Australia, but I'd rather have something in Europe due to latency.

Thanked by 1jar

solaire said: Any specific location on this deal? I have an older deal with you (60 GB for 15$) that was provisioned in Australia, but I'd rather have something in Europe due to latency.

It'll all be in Germany with Hetzner right now.

Thanked by 1solaire
  • @jar said:

Aah that's perfect! I'll grab one in Germany and move my data over then.

Happy customer for quite some time now. Keep up the great work! 👍

Thanked by 1jar
    edited October 2018

@solaire said:

@jar said:

Aah that's perfect! I'll grab one in Germany and move my data over then.

Happy customer for quite some time now. Keep up the great work! 👍

If I'm mistaken at all let me know and I'll correct it. Should be defaulting there right now though. This infrastructure is out growing my brain. I'll fix it if you get another result.

• rpollestadrpollestad Member
    edited October 2018

I will admit to needing to eat crow a bit.

Over the past few weeks, I've mentioned on a few SMTP/email-related threads that mention MXroute my recent dissatisfaction with the service. I've been an MXroute customer since 2015 and it largely worked well up until the move off MailChannels. (Understandable, but still, a big change.)

I had some problems with delivery to certain addresses (mobile carriers) and support ticket responses in the 6-7 day range, which is not acceptable when you have a current issue.

I figured that I would start looking around at the major players with the thinking that if I threw more money at the problem, it would result in a more reliable service.

I first tried Amazon WorkEmail (which is SES-backed) and, admittedly, the SMTP delivery was rock solid, but Amazon doesn't let you "send as" via SMTP unless it's in their own web GUI. That doesn't work for me, as I have a ton of email scripts that send email as aliases, which was a deal breaker.

So, I tried GSuite next, figuring that had to be the answer to all my issues. Well, to my surprise, GMail had delivery issues to most major mobile carrier addresses (including zero bounce replies -- the email just disappeared) and I had to deal with throttling of inbound email, which hampered me during high activity times.

My next option was MailCheap, but they require a 6 month account purchase, which is hard to swallow for testing. I also wasn't sure if I could fit within their daily rate limits. Now it turns out that MXroute sends through them as a backup, so problem solved on that front.

In the end, MXroute was still the best bang for the buck and jar's dedication to improving his service and infrastructure boosts my confidence in what MXroute offers. Yes, there's still issues, but it turns out that even the big players have issues when it comes to delivery.

Thanked by 2louis_lau Daniel15
  • @jar sai:
    If I'm mistaken at all let me know and I'll correct it. Should be defaulting there right now though. This infrastructure is out growing my brain. I'll fix it if you get another result.

No you were right. I was provisioned on Hetzner, on a server named after an Irish folklore (according to Wikipedia).

Thanks for the offer though!

• bugrakocbugrakoc Member
    edited October 2018

Hey, great offer! Definitely my favourite e-mail provider. Just renewed my service for the third year.

By the way @jar, what happened to MailChannels delivery? Are you finally messing with the e-mail mafia all by yourself?

• Top notch provider. Louis and Jar, both been there to help with the issues, if any.

IGN 10/10 would buy again.

• So if I get this correctly the current pre-black friday offer will already be provisioned in Germany?

• gksgks Member
    edited October 2018

@Jar, A quick question. I use a web host [stablehost], they also provide a email hosting, claims unlimited emails and spaces, POP3, SMTP, IMAP options, I pay about 25USD per year, for webhosting, includes email. Will Mxroute provide better technologies, deliverability compared to emails offered by web hosts? I am planning to move to buyshared [nothing wrong with stablehost so far, I thought buyshared is near to Indian reachability], willing to take the advantages of MXRoute.

If you have any previously written blog/article, share me some benefits when we move to MxRoute. Thank you.

• @jar mxroute block virmach ip or vice versa? all my virmach box cannot connect to eagle.mxlogin.com. one of 23.95.233.0/24

@gks said:
    @Jar, A quick questions. I use a web host [stablehost], they also provide a email hosting, claims unlimited emails and spaces, POP3, SMTP, IMAP options, I pay about 25USD per year, for webhosting, includes email. Will Mxroute provide better technologies, deliverability compared to emails offered by web hosts? I am planning to move to buyshared [nothing wrong with stablehost so far, I thought buyshared is near to Indian reachability], willing to under the advantages of MXRoute.

If you have any previously written blog/article, share me some benefits when we move to MxRoute. Thank you.

We’re going to look just like that shared hosting plan, but act a bit more like the expensive email services. This might cover a bit of it: https://mxroute.helpscoutdocs.com/article/32-why-cpanel-how-are-you-unique

It’s all in your use case too. For some people a godaddy shared hosting plan will do 100% of what they need with 100% reliability. When that isn’t the case, and the big email services will break your bank, I want to be the one you’re looking at.

Thanked by 1Hxxx
  • Another mxroute plan for me i guess. Inb4 $5/y black friday deal :wink:

Thanked by 1Hxxx
    edited October 2018

Now I’ll offer some insight into Black Friday:

Ryzen, SSD base system, 6TB storage drives, a ton of memory. Even still, capacity for dovecot to perform at its best is limited. This means high storage but one node, so limited stock.

Custom order at Hetzner, beastly thing.

Thanked by 1AmitX
  • williewillie Member
    edited October 2018

jar said: Ryzen

Sounds Epyc, I mean epic ;).

• gksgks Member

@jar said:
    Now I’ll offer some insight into Black Friday:

Ryzen, SSD base system, 6TB storage drives, a ton of memory. Even still, capacity for dovecot to perform at its best is limited. This means high storage but one node, so limited stock.

Custom order at Hetzner, beastly thing.

When you say one node, if that node fails, do we still able to access emails? /continue sending receiving emails with other node? My understanding is that mxroute shall provide failover recovery automatically, we will not loose the emails and our email client should be able to deliver the email.

edited October 2018

gks said: When you say one node, if that node fails, do we still able to access emails? /continue sending receiving emails with other node? My understanding is that mxroute shall provide failover recovery automatically, we will not loose the emails and our email client should be able to deliver the email.

There is no failover for inbound. MXroute runs from the idea that you don't want to pay twice the cost (or more) for that kind of failover because you recognize that in all reality your single points of failure tend to have the same uptime as the items that have failover. Failure at the single level, when using quality hardware, realistically just doesn't come frequently enough to justify the increased cost.

If you look around at people who are running their services on single dedicated servers from quality providers, they'll tell you they don't wish they were paying 15x the price for services that have true failover at Amazon, and they don't feel like they're missing out on anything after years and years of uptime.

We've all seen the systems, that supposedly have no single points of failure, fail spectacularly because the only thing they really do is add complexity. Even Gmail has outages (usually not all customers at once, but same for us). SAN setups are notorious for their failures as well. Perfect systems with no single points of failure seem to me a fool's dream, and something only afforded to those willing to spend the most.

I'm here to offer you low prices based on storage instead of per user, with a focus on high quality delivery. The uptime only shows under 100% because I calculate SMTP responsiveness as opposed to actual server uptime:

https://uptime.mxroute.com/

Thanked by 3willie gks vimalware
  • vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited October 2018

Another useful link : https://headwayapp.co/mxroute-changelog

I keep losing track of it. I think it belongs in the next offer post, at least.

@vimalware said:
    Another useful link : https://headwayapp.co/mxroute-changelog

I keep losing track of it. I think it belongs in the next offer post, at least.

It posts to Twitter and I linked it on the site header too, hopefully that keeps everyone informed of what changes and when.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • jar said: 20GB Storage
    Unlimited Domains
    Unlimited Email Accounts
    $10/year

What's the difference between Cyber Monday 2017 and Pre-Black Friday 2018? (PS. Seeing pricing in the mxroute store would be helpful.)

Cyber Monday 2017 (18 Available) - 15GB Storage
    Unlimited Email Accounts
    Unlimited Domains

Pre-Black Friday 2018 (153 Available) - 20GB Storage
    Unlimited Domains
    Unlimited Email Accounts

https://billing.mxroute.com/cart.php?gid=3

• If they are the same, can/will CM2017 clients get upgraded (+5GB) to the PBF2018 deal?

• It would be helpful to have the plan details mentioned somewhere in the client portal or at least the order confirmation email. I completely forgot what my last year's order included and had to find the info on LET.

• My client portal shows unlimited disk and bandwidth limits. Is that normal? Am I shooting myself in the foot by asking questions? :blush:

Thanked by 1jar
    edited October 2018

@depricated Anyone wishing to switch from one promo to another will be encouraged to purchase the new one and cancel the other, as it’s not financially viable for me to adjust past promos based on new ones.

Difference is solely storage space, though location may be different depending on current server. Might go from Texas to Germany if not already in Germany.

Noted on storage space. Some servers have quotas broken because VZ7 and second level quotas are not quite as functional as previous, at least at the time that it was set up. I no longer use VZ on new servers though, one server to a physical box now instead of the old “two containers per server” plan (it was a bad plan).

• jar said: Anyone wishing to switch from one promo to another will be encouraged to purchase the new one and cancel the other, as it’s not financially viable for me to adjust past promos based on new ones.

Could the change be accommodated by request? I get that changing all previous orders might be daunting. Similarly, cancelling/reordering/re-setting up is daunting for me, since I've since forgotten how I did things a year ago. I know it's pretty simple stuff, but I don't work in this day to day.

jar said: Difference is solely storage space, though location may be different depending on current server. Might go from Texas to Germany if not already in Germany.

Where can I see the server location? I'm on Eagle.

jar said: Noted on storage space. Some servers have quotas broken because VZ7 and second level quotas are not quite as functional as previous, at least at the time that it was set up. I no longer use VZ on new servers though, one server to a physical box now instead of the old “two containers per server” plan (it was a bad plan).

So if I don't complain it truly is "unlimited"? :D Or just an invisible limit? Not that it matters right now since I'm probably using less than 1 MB, but curiosity...

edited October 2018

@depricated The requests are just too many. It’s meant to discourage promo hopping in a way that costs me time/money but brings in little or none, as this would cause me to no longer be able to offer promos or go out of business. It’s part of a very specific strategy but it works :)

Eagle is still in Dallas right now.

Servers without working quotas may be subject to quotas later on migration, I’ll aim to prevent automatic suspension for anyone over quota (that’s never more than 1-2 people).

• jar said: The requests are just too many. It’s meant to discourage promo hopping in a way that costs me time/money but brings in little or none, as this would cause me to no longer be able to offer promos or go out of business. It’s part of a very specific strategy but it works :)

Hmm.. I don't presume to know how your system works, but perhaps using or adding the ability to make automated/batch would help.

In any case, from my end I would have to order the new promo now and my impression is cancelling the existing plan with a few months remaining would not result in any pro-rated refund, effectively costing me more. And that's in addition to the hassle of re-setting up.

I can totally understand how it makes sense for your business to reduce requests that take up your time and offer you little.

On the other hand, a system of reverse loyalty perks, where older clients get less than new ones is bound to create some negative feelings even in those who were perfectly satisfied before.

You've probably seen this illustrated with these monkeys:

That can't be good for business.

edited October 2018

depricated said: older clients get less than new ones is bound to create some negative feelings

Generally hasn't been true at any level. The bulk of the requests aren't unfriendly or not understanding, just asks. Most everyone has been quite understanding that I couldn't sustain that. After all, I'm challenging myself to offer deals, and fighting it with bad feelings will only result in no one getting better deals ever again. Perhaps that may be more fair by your concern, but no customer wins from me reducing MXroute's growth to pander to the temporary feelings of 1-3 people, as halted growth further stalls feature developments for everyone. You want me to grow, because the product will grow from it and I'll never charge you a penny more as that happens. Sort of works against any self interest, as that is the only direction I could be pushed on it.

I don't have the money to pay developers to build out automation to decrease server capacity and income across the board on a regular basis (ironically further reducing any ability to hire developers). It's a small business, take it or leave it. If you don't like the business model, I'm okay with that. Can't win 'em all, but it's my baby and I'll keep pressing forward to continually improve the service for everyone. In the meantime, think less about what your neighbor has and more about what you have. If you need an upgrade because you're running out of resources, then let's talk :)

Thanked by 1bugrakoc
  • jar said: only a tiny minority feel entitled to compensation for things going on sale a year after they buy them.

Except that isn't the case at all. Most would understand if products become cheaper in time and accept paying a premium to be an early adopter. But later the old/loyal clients would also expect to benefit from those reduced cost.

Here, existing clients' contracts will automatically be renewed at last year's price and terms, while new clients get a better deal. Do you consider that a good business model?

jar said: Sort of works against any self interest, as that is the only direction I could be pushed on it.

jar said: Can't win 'em all :)

You can't, and don't have to, win all. But it's much easier to lose, and very difficult to regain, goodwill.

How do you think people will react when they realize their early adoption and loyalty earns them a worse deal than everyone else. That you value them less than new clients? What would be the business impact? At the very least, higher turnover and more admin work? Would that not create the very problem you were initially trying to avoid?

Though difficult to quantify, the relationship with clients certainly has business value, which might speak to your self interest.

• @jar said:
    some insight into Black Friday:

Ryzen, SSD base system, 6TB storage drives, a ton of memory.

Aaaaannnd... $5/year?