Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Personal VPS for home VPN server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Personal VPS for home VPN server

VZ Type: Prefer KVM (but "any" is OK)

Operating System: Arch Linux. The install image must be relatively recent, so it can be properly updated after install. This is important.

Use: This VPS is for personal use and no shady activity whatsoever will be conducted on it. It will be a private / family VPN server. My requirements are good network performance for ordinary web browsing (including things like YouTube for 2-4 people in the household) and some other normal consumer streaming services (e.g., Pandora). I do not want to encounter issues with my IP address being blocked by sites such as Wikipedia.

Number of Cores: 1
RAM: 512 MB
Disk Space: 20 GB
Disk Type: doesn't matter

Bandwidth: 1 TB/mo
Port Speed: 1 Gbps

DDoS Protection: No

Number of IPs: 1 IPv4

Location: Orlando, FL, USA or Atlanta, GA are preferred. However, any Southern or Eastern USA area (e.g., Washington DC, New York, Orlando, Atlanta, Jacksonville, Charlotte, Dallas, etc.) is OK.

Budget: US$15/yr. Will increase for premium service, especially a clean IP address and reliable network speed.

Billing period: Yearly. I will be a long term and stable customer. However, if the service does not meet my expectations within the first 30 days, I expect a refund.

Comments

• Virmach has a datacenter available in Atlanta but they might be a bit over your budget. But I have never had a problem with there services they have been rock solid for me with no downtime.

There SSD512 plan would meet your needs apart from the price. Its $25/y but I suppose you get what you pay for so a little bit more budget might be better. You will probably have to install Arch Linux through a ISO. Hope I have helped you!

https://virmach.com/cheap-kvm-linux-vps-windows-vps/

• Increase your budget a little, then you will get the specification like the one you post..

• OK, I will increase my budget as suggested. Thanks.

• If you don't mind openVZ, this one is a good deal.

1.5GB RAM, 30GB HDD, 2TB Bandwidth @ 1Gbps , 2 ipv4 (you can create two VPS) for just $18/year

so for $18/year you can create two vps.

Locations are LA and Chicago.

https://clients.hostmybytes.com/cart.php?a=confproduct&i=0

• I'll stay with KVM. I was going to go with BuyVM, but they are out of stock in New York currently. So I am trying Shock Hosting and VirMach. I may also try YourLastHost. I will see which meets my needs the best, and then stick with them.

• @DGT2 said:
    I'll stay with KVM. I was going to go with BuyVM, but they are out of stock in New York currently. So I am trying Shock Hosting and VirMach. I may also try YourLastHost. I will see which meets my needs the best, and then stick with them.

You can search for a previous Virmach annual kvm posted a month or two ago. $5 off a year.

• DGT2 said: VZ Type: Prefer KVM (but "any" is OK)

Just avoid OpenVZ, i suspect it can be done, but avoid the headache. You need your own kernel and modules for vpn. Had you been asking for proxy, yes it could pass in userspace, but vpn - not so much.

• @DGT2 said:
    I'll stay with KVM. I was going to go with BuyVM, but they are out of stock in New York currently. So I am trying Shock Hosting and VirMach. I may also try YourLastHost. I will see which meets my needs the best, and then stick with them.

$15/y is unrealistic for what you want, and note that BuyVM would have been $42/y.

Thanked by 1coreflux
  • @angstrom said:
    $15/y is unrealistic for what you want

Already mentioned above. Already adjusted my budget.

• smilesmile Member
    edited October 2018

@DGT2 said:

@angstrom said:
    $15/y is unrealistic for what you want

Already mentioned above. Already adjusted my budget.

well; i doubt any provider will give you an offer because of your 30 day trial expectations lol. Actually if they do; they will probably put you in fraudalert if you take advantage of it.

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • @smile said:
    well; i doubt any provider will give you an offer because of your 30 day trial expectations lol. Actually if they do; they will probably put you in fraudalert if you take advantage of it.

After initially reading some of the offers and posts here, I had the wrong impression about going prices and trials. I have since changed those. Some of you guys are just looking provoke a disagreement, rather than to offer helpful advice.

The least of my concerns is price. As my post said, I would increase my budget for good service. I have confirmed that twice in the comments. Price is not my first concern or my biggest concern.

I also do not mind paying for the first month while I'm testing out a service. I'm not trying to take advantage of anybody. But I guess maybe you guys are used to seeing a lot of scammers or people who are exceptionally cheap.

Quality is most important to me, especially network quality (including speed, latency, jitter, uptime, etc.). In my experience, providers make claims about their networks that do not hold up to reality. So I only want to verify that the provider's claims are accurate.

I make VoIP calls, but I don't make them every day. In my past experience, it has taken about a month to know if a provider has consistently good network quality.

I also prefer to be on an ASN that is relatively free of bad actors, and to have an IP address that hasn't been blacklisted all over the place.

These things are not easy to find in my experience. In fact, I have not found a single provider that offers everything I'm looking for, even at prices up to $120/yr.

• @DGT2 said: After initially reading some of the offers and posts here, I had the wrong impression about going prices and trials. I have since changed those. Some of you guys are just looking provoke a disagreement, rather than to offer helpful advice.

This is LET -- we've been conditioned to be skeptical, especially about those who open a thread as soon as they sign up and post unrealistic expectations. A tiny bit more research beforehand wouldn't have hurt.

Thanked by 1coreflux
  • @angstrom said:

This is LET -- we've been conditioned to be skeptical, especially about those who open a thread as soon as they sign up and post unrealistic expectations. A tiny bit more research beforehand wouldn't have hurt.

Point taken.

• @DGT2 said:

Excuse You. Guess I was blinded by the huge amount of providers responding to this thread to give you a 30 day trial for your reasonable request that my advice is invalid.

Oh wait.

• @smile said:

@DGT2 said:

Excuse You. Guess I was blinded by the huge amount of providers responding to this thread to give you a 30 day trial for your reasonable request that my advice is invalid.

Oh wait.

I have no idea what you just said.

• @DGT2 said:

@smile said:

@DGT2 said:

Oh wait.

http://bfy.tw/KRz9

• @Yura said:

@DGT2 said:

@smile said:

@DGT2 said:

Oh wait.

Yura... that word is an sexual act. Such a dirty mind.

Thanked by 1Yura
  • I recognize when people are being jerks, but that doesn't mean that being a jerk equates to making sense, or that it is worth my while to unscramble poorly written sentences and misplaced hurt feelings. I was not invalidating anybody's good advice. Quite the opposite.

• @Yura said:

@DGT2 said:

@smile said:

@DGT2 said:

Oh wait.

You just used that incorrectly and should be banned from using it again, forever. The guy wasn't making sense, google can't decipher that shit either.

As an English speaker reading many non-english posts, a lot of posts make no sense without some idea or interpretation of what was actually said.

I used to have an Indian and a Chinese person work for me. Both spoke broken English and hardcore accents. Sometimes I'd ask one wtf the other guy just said, and he could sometimes decipher it better than me.

SMH. Responding to nonsense with more nonsense.

• @TimboJones said:

I see what you did there.

• @TimboJones said:

@Yura said:

@DGT2 said:

@smile said:

@DGT2 said:

Oh wait.

You just used that incorrectly and should be banned from using it again, forever. The guy wasn't making sense, google can't decipher that shit either.

As an English speaker reading many non-english posts, a lot of posts make no sense without some idea or interpretation of what was actually said.

I used to have an Indian and a Chinese person work for me. Both spoke broken English and hardcore accents. Sometimes I'd ask one wtf the other guy just said, and he could sometimes decipher it better than me.

You seem proud of your lack of analytical ability?

SMH. MAGA I guess.

• @smile said:

@TimboJones said:

@Yura said:

@DGT2 said:

@smile said:

@DGT2 said:

Oh wait.

SMH. MAGA I guess.

Learn 2 english.

• @TimboJones said:

@smile said:

@TimboJones said:

@Yura said:

@DGT2 said:

@smile said:

@DGT2 said:

Oh wait.

SMH. MAGA I guess.

Learn 2 english.

You GENIUS.

• drakuladrakula Member
    edited October 2018

@DGT2 said:

@smile said:

After initially reading some of the offers and posts here, I had the wrong impression about going prices and trials. I have since changed those. Some of you guys are just looking provoke a disagreement, rather than to offer helpful advice.

The least of my concerns is price. As my post said, I would increase my budget for good service. I have confirmed that twice in the comments. Price is not my first concern or my biggest concern.

I also do not mind paying for the first month while I'm testing out a service. I'm not trying to take advantage of anybody. But I guess maybe you guys are used to seeing a lot of scammers or people who are exceptionally cheap.

Quality is most important to me, especially network quality (including speed, latency, jitter, uptime, etc.). In my experience, providers make claims about their networks that do not hold up to reality. So I only want to verify that the provider's claims are accurate.

I make VoIP calls, but I don't make them every day. In my past experience, it has taken about a month to know if a provider has consistently good network quality.

I also prefer to be on an ASN that is relatively free of bad actors, and to have an IP address that hasn't been blacklisted all over the place.

These things are not easy to find in my experience. In fact, I have not found a single provider that offers everything I'm looking for, even at prices up to $120/yr.

And yet your asking price is $15/yr.

• @smile said:

@TimboJones said:

@smile said:

@TimboJones said:

@Yura said:

@DGT2 said:

@smile said:

@DGT2 said:

Oh wait.

SMH. MAGA I guess.

Learn 2 english.

You GENIUS.

It's pretty simple. If English is your first language, you're at a grade 5 level and you should be ashamed if you're post high school age. If it's not your first language (it really shouldn't be, based on your posts and misuse of semi colons and question marks as well as run on sentences), then you're close, but still pretty shit and subject to requiring decoder ring.

And no, MAGA people are not known to correct poor English. I have no idea where you got that from. The fucking president is infamous for typos and nonsensical statements.

But yeah, since Trump, America has been going downhill, so we (not Americans) really do want America to be good again (ie, circa Obama years). For the record, I'm Canadian.

• @TimboJones said:

@smile said:

@TimboJones said:

@smile said:

@TimboJones said:

@Yura said:

@DGT2 said:

@smile said:

@DGT2 said:

Oh wait.

SMH. MAGA I guess.

Learn 2 english.

You GENIUS.

It's pretty simple. If English is your first language, you're at a grade 5 level and you should be ashamed if you're post high school age. If it's not your first language (it really shouldn't be, based on your posts and misuse of semi colons and question marks as well as run on sentences), then you're close, but still pretty shit and subject to requiring decoder ring.

And no, MAGA people are not known to correct poor English. I have no idea where you got that from. The fucking president is infamous for typos and nonsensical statements.

But yeah, since Trump, America has been going downhill, so we (not Americans) really do want America to be good again (ie, circa Obama years). For the record, I'm Canadian.

learn 2 english

• smile said: But yeah, since Trump, America has been going downhill, so we (not Americans) really do want America to be good again (ie, circa Obama years). For the record, I'm Canadian.

Obama need to be set to head of steel production in US :wink:

• SpryServers_TabSpryServers_Tab Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2018

Best I can do is $150/yr.

Dallas, TX - KVM
    20 GB SSD
    1 GB RAM
    1 CPU
    1 Gbps Uplink
    1000 GB Monthly Transfer
    1 IPv4
    /64 IPv6
    SolusVM - ArchLinux iso available in the SolusVM control panel, after you order
    30 day money back guarantee

This is available for this price under our 5 year anniversary promo. Must purchase on or before Oct. 31.

KVM Micro SSD VPS - (discount will be applied at step 2 of checkout)

• SpryServers_TabSpryServers_Tab Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2018

Yeah, I haven't broken any rules. This was a response to a request, not an "offer thread". He specified a flexible budget.