Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Good IT management software for Tech/PC Shop?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Good IT management software for Tech/PC Shop?

Hi,

I’m looking for a good and complete software that enables me and my team to provide IT support and management services to SMB’s in our local area. From what I have research I found three options:

SolarWinds MSP Manager
https://www.solarwindsmsp.com/products/msp-manager

SpiceWorks
https://www.spiceworks.com

Zoho IT Management
https://www.zoho.com/it-management/

Any other suggestion? Thanks

Comments

• JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

We have just signed up with solarwinds, but are using webroot antivirus as it seems better than their built in one. Try atera if you want fixed costs that’s cheaper.

• @experttechit said:
    We have just signed up with solarwinds, but are using webroot antivirus as it seems better than their built in one. Try atera if you want fixed costs that’s cheaper.

Can I ask you the reason for the move from Atera to SolarWinds?

• oneilonlineoneilonline Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2018

AutoTask, would that qualify?

• @oneilonline said:
    AutoTask, would that qualify?

Yes.. but with their new product: Datto RMM

@nqservices We tried atera, it sounds great and looks quite good, but I wasn’t sure how viable their cost per service tech was. Also reading some reviews a lot of people were saying they then upgraded to solarwinds anyway. Also i was a bit concerned about the software as the software your installing on clients machine basically allows you to do anything to the computers your manage. I really wanted to work with a reputable company. Again this was why I chose solarwinds. Their software also works very well and has some great features. We were getting a lot of false positives with atera.

• @nqservices said:

Any personal experiences?

We did a security evaluation of several of those offerings for a client. So I can't speak to price and functionality. The client ended up using Solarwinds - partly because Solarwinds had some other complementary services such as log aggregation.

BTW - someone mentioned Datto RMM as well. I also came across that product recently as well. And it looks interesting. I like Datto's backup services.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

You mention three products but you never mentioned what scenarios they would solve.
    List what criterias/scenarios you would need to solve and we can limit the amount of suggestions.

• nqservicesnqservices Member
    edited October 2018

@experttechit said:
    @nqservices We tried atera, it sounds great and looks quite good, but I wasn’t sure how viable their cost per service tech was. Also reading some reviews a lot of people were saying they then upgraded to solarwinds anyway. Also i was a bit concerned about the software as the software your installing on clients machine basically allows you to do anything to the computers your manage. I really wanted to work with a reputable company. Again this was why I chose solarwinds. Their software also works very well and has some great features. We were getting a lot of false positives with atera.

Yes, Atera looks great on their website. Seems the perfect solution. I understand your point on the price. About their software to allow almost anything on client computers, that is a good thing for daily problem issues.. but it can be a security concern also.

So from all the brands, you consider SolarWindds one of the most reputable and secure? They do not have prices on their website, so can you share just the average cost for a team of 2 staff and a client with 5 windows dektop computers + 1 windows server?

@birchbeer said:
    We did a security evaluation of several of those offerings for a client. So I can't speak to price and functionality. The client ended up using Solarwinds - partly because Solarwinds had some other complementary services such as log aggregation.

BTW - someone mentioned Datto RMM as well. I also came across that product recently as well. And it looks interesting. I like Datto's backup services.

Besides log aggregation of Solarwids, did it perform good on your security evaluation? Any product listed on this thread that perform bad in your security evaluation?

Batto RMM seems a new product. I also heard good things about Datto backup services, but their sales still did not respond to my email. From what I have heard they have a not "normal" backup price plan, where you don't just pay for space used, correct? Do you know any details about Datto Backup price plans? For this project I will also need a good off-site backup service.

@mikho said:
    You mention three products but you never mentioned what scenarios they would solve.
    List what criterias/scenarios you would need to solve and we can limit the amount of suggestions.

I will try to explain the best way I can. If you need any further info, just ask. Your opinion is appreciated.

I want to start a separate business that will basicly be a computer shop with main focus on providing fully managed remote IT support services here in my local area (100km range). I will hire 2 tech staff to start. Target clients are SMB's where 99% of them use Windows computers and Windows servers. On site services will be provided only when remote is not an option, like a hardware failure for example.

When I speak on providing fully managed remote support service, I mean a proactive service where my team will cover all IT issues on the clients devices and networks. So I need a good all-in-round software solution to have features like: monitoring, patching, anti-virus, backups, remote access, etc... For example I already use Ubiquiti because of their UNIFI central managment solution for their Unifi Wifi range. It makes managing clients local shops wifi a very easy task.

Haven’t had the pleasure of first-hand impressions but two of the companies I used to work for have both exchanged their old systems to kaseya.

• nqservicesnqservices Member
    edited October 2018

@mikho said:
    Haven’t had the pleasure of first-hand impressions but two of the companies I used to work for have both exchanged their old systems to kaseya.

Do you know what where old systems before moving to kaseya?

One was ~10 years ago so that I don’t remember.

The other one, was 2 years ago and they moved from manageengine desktopcentral.

If you want Kaysea, use techs together. It’s $4 a machine and comes with AV and no upfront costs. If you go direct there are a lot of fees.

Solarwinds costs us £2.50 per machine per month. If you just want asset management then each device is free. Solarwinds charge £50 per month for the platform. They do have some promotions so best to email them.

• @experttechit said:
    If you want Kaysea, use techs together. It’s $4 a machine and comes with AV and no upfront costs. If you go direct there are a lot of fees.

Thanks for the info! About backup offsite in SolarWinds do you know the prices and if it works properly?

Also do you mind explain better your advice about Kaysea. Did not understand what you really mean by " use techs together" and "If you go direct there are a lot of fees."

• I would highly recommend Ninja RMM - I've tried almost everything on your list and still went with them.

Great Windows and Mac support and very good pricing when bundled with A/V and TeamViewer.

(If you're in the UK, send me a message and I can put you in touch with a contact)

• @tafa2 said:
    I would highly recommend Ninja RMM - I've tried almost everything on your list and still went with them.

Great Windows and Mac support and very good pricing when bundled with A/V and TeamViewer.

(If you're in the UK, send me a message and I can put you in touch with a contact)

Thanks for the suggestion on Ninja RMM. You said you tryied almost all on the list and here SolarWinds seems to be recomended by some users. What are the pros vs cons between Ninja vs SolarWinds in your personal experience?

I'm not in UK...

• @nqservices said:

Besides log aggregation of Solarwids, did it perform good on your security evaluation? Any product listed on this thread that perform bad in your security evaluation?

Batto RMM seems a new product. I also heard good things about Datto backup services, but their sales still did not respond to my email. From what I have heard they have a not "normal" backup price plan, where you don't just pay for space used, correct? Do you know any details about Datto Backup price plans? For this project I will also need a good off-site backup service.

I actually think the client was going to pick Solarwinds already and was merely looking for a rubber stamp security review because we weren't permitted to perform a penetration test. So all we were able to do was to evaluate some of their audit reports which were pretty sparse. We weren't ask to review the other companies but I had checked a couple of them out just out of curiosity. I actually don't know who they floated their RFP to.

The one thing that I thought was interesting about Solarwinds was that they choose to use XMPP as a command/control protocol.

I think that Solarwinds is considered the "safe" solution because they've been around a while.

As for Datto - that's not part of my part of the business so I don't have details. I think that one of our customers pays around 15K to 20K a year and it includes an onsite appliance (maybe two) - I think the company is around 800 employees but I don't know how much data they are backing up.

• laticlatic Member, Host Rep

Might want to look at something like Snipe-it for the asset management side and then a helpdesk.

Solarwinds is good but gets expensive.

• tafa2tafa2 Member
    edited October 2018

@nqservices said:
    What are the pros vs cons between Ninja vs SolarWinds in your personal experience?

I just found it much easier to use and simpler to get up and running. I also really liked it's branding features. The price was better too!