Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Suitable VPS for my needs
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Suitable VPS for my needs

vahevahe Member
edited February 2012 in General

Hello everybody,
I started researching for VPS provider for a couple of days already and found very mixed reviews on LET and WHT. After hours and hours of reading I still cannot decide how much RAM I would need and what provider to go with.

Here is what I'll be hosting:
1-2 small Wordpress websites(less than 1K uniques)
3-10 small static PHP websites((less than 1K uniques)
1 PHP web app with a database(10K uniques, 100K hits)
Up to 10 email accounts
and
Possibly a git server

Budget <= 7$
Disk Space >= 10GB
Bandwidth >= 30GB

I'm currently on a shared server with HawkHost and I'm very satisfied, but would like more resources and freedom. What VPS would you recommend?

Thanks!!

Comments

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Anything less than 256 can work for you... maybe 128 with 256 burst

• @netomx Thanks for the reply. Any specific company that you'd recommend?
    I forgot to mention that I'd need a good uptime at least 99.5%.

Kazila, loomhost and buyvm are the companies i work with, and they have excellent service

• For $5-6/mo you can get a 512mb OVZ from a reputable provider (like hostigation). Remember though, you get what you pay for, and if your sites/applications are important to you, put a reasonable amount of money into your hosting.

• Are you fairly linux saavy? Because the majority of VPS do not come with CPanel, some providers offer it as an add-on for an extra $10-15/month.

For $7, I would try ChicagoVPS's 2GB OVZ package... you'll definitely get the most out of your buck there.

Why did noone recommends Webmin? It is free

• @AsuraHosting I have some Linux/Unix experience in shell programming(simple stuff), but not in security/firewalls or optimizing, but I'll be ok :) I don't need cPanel, but I would need to migrate my emails accounts/forwarders and sql databases to the new server. Would that be a pain?

• @vahe: No not at all, as long as you know what you're doing; then you should be absolutely fine. =D

• Another question regarding the virtualization technology. Which one is better OpenVZ or XEN? Would I need more ram if I go with XEN?

• AsuraHostingAsuraHosting Member
    edited February 2012

@vahe: In my honest opinion, you'd be absolutely fine with OVZ. OVZ has less overhead and performs better, but cannot manage memory as well as XEN; while XEN has better memory management, but more overhead.

It's really up to you, but OVZ should suit you just fine.

• @AsuraHosting said: In my honest opinion, you'd be absolutely fine with OVZ. OVZ has less overhead and performs better, but cannot manage memory as well as XEN; while XEN has better memory management, but more overhead.

Exactly as Asura said. If you decide to go with Xen, you should choose slightly more RAM, though for your application I don't see a particular need for Xen.

For an OpenVZ server, I think a 256mb VPS would suit your needs very well. You should be able to find something of good quality within your budget.

• Is location important?

@netomx said: Why did noone recommends Webmin? It is free

I like webmin, its very handy :)

• @vahe said: Which one is better OpenVZ or XEN?

XEN.

• OVZ is slightly better at this, since you don't really need what Xen offers in this case. But they're technically on par, unless you wish to save memory, in that case, go with OVZ as Xen runs another kernel of its own apart from the host node.

• Recommend at least 512 mb ram, better 1024mb (space for expansion)
    or 2 small vps's (spread all the stuff over it)

• vahevahe Member
    edited February 2012

@Deor Does the location matter? How big of a difference would it make?

@Boltersdriveer > "Xen runs another kernel of its own apart from the host node."

Does this mean that I cannot reinstall or change the os on OVZ?

• yomeroyomero Member
    edited February 2012

@vahe said: Does this mean that I cannot reinstall or change the os on OVZ?

You can, but you alway use the same kernel n_n

@vahe said: Does the location matter? How big of a difference would it make?

Probably not much, but if your location is far, far away probably will reduce the bandwidth throughput to your users.

• NarutoNaruto Member
    edited February 2012

https://vps6.net/my/cart.php?a=confproduct&i=0 Breakdown:

Memory:         128mb RAM (256mb Burst)     $1.33
    Disk Space:     10gb Disk                   $1.33
    Bandwidth:      250gb Bandwidth             $1.00

Total:                                      $3.66

Total with "OPENVZ-20" for 20% off:         $2.93

Of course you can modify this wherever you need for slightly more.

• vahevahe Member
    edited February 2012

Is their network fast? I get 3MB/s max when downloading their test files. Testing with 100Mbps connection.

• @vahe said: Is their network fast? I get 3MB/s max when downloading their test files. Testing with 100Mbps connection.

So, 25Mbps isn't enough for you in this low end boxes?

• » Operating System: Debian 6 (32-bit)
     » Location: Chicago, USA
     » Control Panel: None
     » Support Level: Semi-Managed Support (Free)
     » Additional IP ($1/mo): 1 x IP Address $2.00 USD
     » Memory: 2gb RAM (4gb Burst) $16.00 USD
     » Disk Space: 10gb Disk $1.33 USD
     » Bandwidth: 250gb Bandwidth $1.00 USD
     » CPU: 4 Cores (High Activity) $3.00 USD

heh, $23.33, cheap...

• I'm thinking to go with BuyVM, but it's out of stock. Should I wait or go with Hostigation?

• NarutoNaruto Member
    edited February 2012

@vahe said: Is their network fast? I get 3MB/s max when downloading their test files. Testing with 100Mbps connection.

They have different locations in the US and Europe. You may want to ask for a different test IP, depending on your location.

@Derek said: heh, $23.33, cheap...

Those cores are at 3.16 GHz each, too.

• @vahe said: go with Hostigation

Thanked by 1DeletedUser
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@vahe said: I'm thinking to go with BuyVM, but it's out of stock. Should I wait or go with Hostigation?

Aldryic's been approving orders the past little while without issue. Not enough to push full blast sales yet, but that's coming very soon :)

Francisco