Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner CX21 (4GB) vs AlphaVPS (4GB)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner CX21 (4GB) vs AlphaVPS (4GB)

ShihabSoftShihabSoft Member
edited October 2018 in Reviews

Am just gonna jump straight by providing the benchmark and price/spec difference.

Hetzner CX 21
4GB Ram
2 vCores
40GB SSD
20TB Bandwith
1Gbps network
Price - 4.90 euro/month

AlphaVPS Redhat KVM
4GB Ram
4 vCores
25GB SSD
3TB Bandwith
1Gbps network
Price - 5.00 euro/month (Promotional KVM)

Benchmark

I've already set the baseline comparison for the both VPSes. Below is the link

https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/compare/10238743?baseline=10238856

https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/compare/10238856?baseline=10238743

CX 21 I chose is in Falkenstein,
AlphaVPS I chose is in UK, London.

Both of the VPS were bough just minutes ago, so I am yet to provide a long term review. Also AlphaVPS provides a 50 euro/year offer for the same VPS.

NOTE - Am not linked with any of those companies, just a customer ;)

Comments

• How about network and storage performance?

• LampardLampard Member, Patron Provider

Maybe you could go for Contabo VPS S SSD plan, it has way more resources than both you reviewed, price is also same, 5 euro.

• FlamesRunnerFlamesRunner Member
    edited October 2018

@Lampard

However, consider that Contabo is crazily oversold -- you will likely have better luck with a larger provider (i.e Hetzner Cloud).

• LampardLampard Member, Patron Provider

@FlamesRunner said:
    @Lampard

However, consider that Contabo is crazily oversold -- you will likely have better luck with a larger provider (i.e Hetzner Cloud).

Thats what i heard, but i tried that myself for a month already. Also thought that it would be oversold but the performance is impressive.

• I don't wont be disrespectful to AlphaVPS, but if compare size and client-base Hetzner vs AlphaVPS, I can admit that Hetzner with their huge client-base do great job by delivering so good performance.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • @Lampard said:
    Maybe you could go for Contabo VPS S SSD plan, it has way more resources than both you reviewed, price is also same, 5 euro.

Contabo sucks. Period.

@desperand said:
    I don't wont be disrespectful to AlphaVPS, but if compare size and client-base Hetzner vs AlphaVPS, I can admit that Hetzner with their huge client-base do great job by delivering so good performance.

Ya, comparing their userbase AlphaVPS is still new, but what blew my mind is their VPS performances. (Hopefully LET users won't destroy that by spamming order requests, not that they oversell ;) )

Man oh man, their support, they are pretty good indeed. They usually reply within 10-15 minutes, sometimes maximum of 30 minutes. This is what my experience like an hour ago.

Also they provide disk driver support, you can change from virtio/ide. So that you could install legacy windows without even the need of virtio drivers slipstreamed into the ISO.

Also options to select multiple network adapters and such.

Anyway am yet to see how they work out in the long run. Hoping for the good.

• Sorry to say that but what you have done didn't make sense. Since almost providers allow burstable for a short period of time, when you performed the test, the VPS run at the burstable mode. After a long run, the result may be very different.

• @levnode said:
    Sorry to say that but what you have done didn't make sense. Since almost providers allow burstable for a short period of time, when you performed the test, the VPS run at the burstable mode. After a long run, the result may be very different.

That was a low end test...

• @levnode said:
    Sorry to say that but what you have done didn't make sense. Since almost providers allow burstable for a short period of time, when you performed the test, the VPS run at the burstable mode. After a long run, the result may be very different.

I am yet to see that. But am confident enough, they're not gonna limit it, as the owner himself is very active in tickets providing resolutions almost instantly. So I'd say I'll wait and see, in-case if anything goes wrong.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited October 2018

FlamesRunner said: However, consider that Contabo is crazily oversold -- you will likely have better luck with a larger provider (i.e Hetzner Cloud).

Contabo nowadays is not crazily oversold. Have you test them the last couple of years? They are having pretty good performance with a really nice network.

• Just did a nench.sh benchmark test. Here's the results.

Btw, the geekbench results provided above was when I am using ide as disk driver and Realtek as network driver.

So I'll do a geekbench benchmark once again on virtio driver and post the results.

The below result is done when using virtio as the main driver.

nench.sh v2018.04.14 -- https://git.io/nench.sh

benchmark timestamp: 2018-10-08 10:25:06 UTC

Processor: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1270 v5 @ 3.60GHz
    CPU cores: 4
    Frequency: 3600.006 MHz
    RAM: 3.9G
    Swap: -
    Kernel: Linux 4.9.0-8-amd64 x86_64

Disks:
    vda 25G HDD

CPU: SHA256-hashing 500 MB
    2.742 seconds
    CPU: bzip2-compressing 500 MB
    4.729 seconds
    CPU: AES-encrypting 500 MB
    0.781 seconds

ioping: seek rate
    min/avg/max/mdev = 17.6 us / 32.5 us / 6.18 ms / 81.1 us
    ioping: sequential read speed
    generated 55.8 k requests in 5.00 s, 13.6 GiB, 11.2 k iops, 2.72 GiB/s

dd: sequential write speed
    1st run: 1049.04 MiB/s
    2nd run: 1049.04 MiB/s
    3rd run: 953.67 MiB/s
    average: 1017.25 MiB/s

IPv4 speedtests
    your IPv4: 176.126.78.xxxx

Cachefly CDN:         76.59 MiB/s
    Leaseweb (NL):        99.89 MiB/s
    Softlayer DAL (US):   12.23 MiB/s
    Online.net (FR):      38.25 MiB/s
    OVH BHS (CA):         12.39 MiB/s

IPv6 speedtests
    your IPv6: 2a04:92c7:2:xxxx

Leaseweb (NL):        54.17 MiB/s
    Softlayer DAL (US):   14.30 MiB/s
    Online.net (FR):      13.91 MiB/s

OVH BHS (CA): 12.89 MiB/s

• Geekbench done using virtio as both network and disk driver.

https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/10248958

Am amazed to see the change when I switched from ide to virtio, with the total overall performance.

• @chocolateshirt said:
    How about network and storage performance?

I've posted the nench.sh benchmark test above, feel free to check it.

• Nice benchmark but not really similar products, due to monthly vs hourly billing, and proximity of Hetzner cloud to huge dedi infrastructure. I like that AlphaVPS has some US locations though.

• Btw, if you guys are up to buy from them, feel free to use my referral link :)

https://alphavps.bg/clients/aff.php?aff=113

• anyone knows how Hetzner support tickets system works?

I submitted a ticket, and couldn't find it anywhere xD

• @comXyz said:
    anyone knows how Hetzner support tickets system works?

You'll receive a mail once you submit a ticket. Then everything is conversed via mail.

• @ShihabSoft said:

@comXyz said:

You'll receive a mail once you submit a ticket. Then everything is conversed via mail.

I didn't receive any emails after submitting the ticket. I will wait for 24 hours then.

• @comXyz said:

@ShihabSoft said:

@comXyz said:

I didn't receive any emails after submitting the ticket. I will wait for 24 hours then.

Maybe check your spam folder.

Also you can directly mail them, they'll automatically convert that into a ticket.

May I know the reason why you're trying to contact them?

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • @ShihabSoft said:

@comXyz said:

@ShihabSoft said:

@comXyz said:

Also you can directly mail them, they'll automatically convert that into a ticket.

I asked them some questions before start using their services. Not so important. But I couldn't find any information in their docs.

• @comXyz said:

@ShihabSoft said:

@comXyz said:

@ShihabSoft said:

@comXyz said:

I asked them some questions before start using their services. Not so important. But I couldn't find any information in their docs.

Feel free to ask here. I or someone else might be able to answer your questions. Or @Hetzner_OL

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • comXyz said: I didn't receive any emails after submitting the ticket. I will wait for 24 hours then.

Yes, check spam. You normally get an autoresponse by email immediately, and a response from a human a while later. If it's a sales or billing related question those are usually only answered during weekday business hours (their timezone) but if it's a server problem they are pretty quick all the time.

You can submit tickets through the robot console and that's what you're supposed to do in case of server problems (so it's authenticated as you). For other stuff you can email [email protected].

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Member, Top Host

Both @willie and @shihabsoft are right. However, if you haven't gotten the auto confirm mail, we likely never received your message. If you're not yet a customer, and PM me your email address, I can ask my colleague to double check if they have received anything. Depending on your question, I may be able to help, too. --Katie, Marketing

• XeiXei Member

Thanks for the comparison. AlphaVPS did well, let's hope they are able to keep it similar as they grow. :)

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

@Xei said:
    Thanks for the comparison. AlphaVPS did well, let's hope they are able to keep it similar as they grow. :).

Well, we are in business since 2013 and growing at a very fast rate the past couple of years and are constantly working on improving our services. Many interesting stuff are on the road map - major hardware upgrades of Bulgarian OpenVZ and KVM nodes, major core network equipment upgrade in Bulgaria. Two new locations are nearly ready for production launch. Two new services as well - cheap KVM storage VMs and dedicated CPU VMs. We are about to open our second office in Bulgaria - in Sofia. Many internal changes, which will be announced soon as well. It will be an interesting Q4 for us!

This is the time to thank our customers, some of which are from LET and are with us from the begining. Thank you!

And thank you @ShihabSoft for this review.

• @AlexBarakov said:

@Xei said:
    Thanks for the comparison. AlphaVPS did well, let's hope they are able to keep it similar as they grow. :).

Well, we are in business since 2013 and growing at a very fast rate the past couple of years and are constantly working on improving our services. Many interesting stuff are on the road map - major hardware upgrades of Bulgarian OpenVZ and KVM nodes, major core network equipment upgrade in Bulgaria. Two new locations are nearly ready for production launch. Two new services as well - cheap KVM storage VMs and dedicated CPU VMs. We are about to open our second office in Bulgaria - in Sofia. Many internal changes, which will be announced soon as well. It will be an interesting Q4 for us!

This is the time to thank our customers, some of which are from LET and are with us from the begining. Thank you!

And thank you @ShihabSoft for this review.

I am waiting for the in house cp to happen. I'll be back :)