Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner Invoice Status Paid but Amount not Debited!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner Invoice Status Paid but Amount not Debited!

Hey guys,

This is my first LET post, so bear with me :)

I recently made an account at Hetzner and created a new 2GB RAM cloud instance. The tricky part for me was the billing, as I am kinda new to the per hour billing and other T&Cs they provide.

As it is 5th of october now, I received my first invoice. I paid the invoice with my credit card details, the invoice status suddenly changed to Paid but no any kinda confirmation came to my phone regarding the payment from my bank. Upon checking the bank statement, it shows no trace of such payments happened. Later I came to realize that I wrongly entered the CVV code.

But the thing is, however the CVV was wrong and no money was deducted from my bank, the Hetzner system changed the status as paid.

As being an honest customer, I tried mailing their support, who knows if it might be a glitch or something. Main problem is the CC couldn't apprehend what I am explaining to them.

This is how our conversation went,

Me - Explained the above in a detailed way.

Hetzner - Dear Client,

the invoice is paid and we can't change anything about it.

Your indicated paying method is PayPal so you have to pay the next invoice via PayPal.

Me - But being honest with you, the amount is not deducted from my bank account yet, as the CVV I entered was wrong. I just want to clarify this.

Hetzner - Dear Client,

when the CVV was wrong than you have to figure out whose CVV you deposited and clarify it with him.

Me - Oh my god, are you even understanding what I am saying?

The credit card has it's number, expiry date, and cvv. When paying the invoice I've given the wrong CVV instead of the one in the debit card, but even though it was the wrong CVV I entered, the system just confirmed my payment, is that a glitch or something?

If it's not I don't care, as long as my services are up and running. I am just being a honest customer trying to point out that the actual money was not debited from my account as I entered wrong CVV but the payment was confirmed and marked as PAID.

Hetzner - Dear Client,

thank you for your E-mail and your honesty.

I understand your problem.

If the Client, whose CVV you wrongly entered, books the payment back, you will see that the invoice will be unpaid again. Then you can pay it yourself the right way

Unfortunately we can't change something now.

Me - Alright thanks for understanding. Btw it's a personal account am not using this service for another client.

So in a day or two it will automatically clear as unpaid right? So I can pay again. So I don't have to worry about the service right?

You guys should be adding some kind of validation on the credit card based payment to sort this issues out.

Hetzner - Dear Client,

yes, if the other customer who owns the credit card books it back, you can trigger the payment from yourself, otherwise it is still marked as paid.

Me - Ok am asking it simple, what If the payment doesn't reflect on Hetzner's account? As the payment is not debited from my bank account, as you know I've already entered the wrong credit card CVV but Hetzner didn't even validate it.

That was my last message and they didn't reply for it yet. I am still unsure of what to make out of their replies. Hope someone could explain this situation

Tagging @Hetzner_OL - as I saw him/her active in this forum.

Comments

• it obviously is an misunderstanding with the support there about what the CVV is. in germany calling it CCV or KPZ is more common.

ShihabSoft said: Ok am asking it simple, what If the payment doesn't reflect on Hetzner's account?

what the support in the end already told you... they will notify you, that something went wrong and will change the status of the invoice back to unpaid so you need to pay it then.

depending on the credit card and payment provider they use it could be possible that they don't need the CCV to charge a card. it's usually need as proof at least, but maybe not neccesarily checked during payment.

just wait it out.

Thanked by 1ShihabSoft
  • @Falzo said:
    it obviously is an misunderstanding with the support there about what the CVV is. in germany calling it CCV or KPZ is more common.

ShihabSoft said: Ok am asking it simple, what If the payment doesn't reflect on Hetzner's account?

what the support in the end already told you... they will notify you, that something went wrong and will change the status of the invoice back to unpaid so you need to pay it then.

depending on the credit card and payment provider they use it could be possible that they don't need the CCV to charge a card. it's usually need as proof at least, but maybe not neccesarily checked during payment.

just wait it out.

Ah thanks for clearing that out lol. To be frank I couldn't get anything out of their responses.

• Are you saying you paid the invoice today, October 5th? If that is the case I'm thinking this is something that will resolve itself in a day or two. You'll either get notification from Hetzner that the payment was rejected, or see that the payment went through online at your bank.

• @donli said:
    Are you saying you paid the invoice today, October 5th? If that is the case I'm thinking this is something that will resolve itself in a day or two. You'll either get notification from Hetzner that the payment was rejected, or see that the payment went through online at your bank.

Ya it was done today. And yeah, I am waiting for them to change the invoice status to unpaid so that I could pay again. And no the CVV was wrong, so my bank never allows any transaction without a valid CVV code.

• gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Patron Provider

Wut!? Unless I'm wrong. Their logic is bad. CCV and card number is different. Even if you enter a bad CCV, the credit card number is yours! It can't be chargebacked by another customer. CCV has nothing to do with the card number or the owner of the card.

Is it me or I miss something here?

• @gestiondbi said:
    Wut!? Unless I'm wrong. Their logic is bad. CCV and card number is different. Even if you enter a bad CCV, the credit card number is yours! It can't be chargebacked by another customer. CCV has nothing to do with the card number or the owner of the card.

Is it me or I miss something here?

The Hetzner representative does not know what CVV is.

• angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited October 2018

@ShihabSoft: Next time, wait a couple of days before opening a thread about such an issue. For crying out loud, you made the payment only today. Give the matter a little time to resolve itself one way or another.

• @angstrom said:
    @ShihabSoft: Next time, wait a couple of days before opening a thread about such an issue. For crying out loud, you made the payment only today. Give the matter a little time to resolve itself one way or another.

Huh? This is not the matter of me worrying about the consequences. Am just here to clarify, as I was not getting what they've mentioned in their emails, which @Falzo has clarified, as they were clearly misunderstood.

• @ShihabSoft said: Huh? This is not the matter of me worrying about the consequences.

Then why a long ticket exchange with Hetzner?

Either the payment would go through or it wouldn't, depending on whether the CVV code was taken into account, but waiting at least a day to see wouldn't have hurt. (I would think that if the CVV code were taken into account and you gave the wrong CVV code, then the payment would be rejected very quickly.)

• deankdeank Member, Troll

This is like watching a husband demanding his wife why she isn't pregnant after having just slept together.

Thanked by 2angstrom Xavers
  • @deank said:
    This is like watching a husband demanding his wife why she isn't pregnant after having just slept together.

Strange analogy.

More like wife asking husband did you cum?

• @angstrom said:

@ShihabSoft said: Huh? This is not the matter of me worrying about the consequences.

Either the payment would go through or it wouldn't, depending on whether the CVV code was taken into account, but waiting at least a day to see wouldn't have hurt. (I would think that if the CVV code were taken into account and you gave the wrong CVV code, then the payment would be rejected very quickly.)

Well it went trough in one place(hetzner) and didn't in the other(bank) so he's in the right to get this clarified with hetzner support as it is a serious issue that could impact his service availability. It is a valid concern and i would have done the same thing. And what harm is there in asking questions after all?

Thanked by 1ShihabSoft
  • @xaoc said:

@angstrom said:

@ShihabSoft said: Huh? This is not the matter of me worrying about the consequences.

Well it went trough in one place(hetzner) and didn't in the other(bank) so he's in the right to get this clarified with hetzner support as it is a serious issue that could impact his service availability. It is a valid concern and i would have done the same thing. And what harm is there in asking questions after all?

I just said: give it a day or two before opening a thread on LET about it.

If he really gave a wrong CVV code, I'm surprised that the payment wasn't rejected immediately on Hetzner's side, but perhaps their system doesn't check CVV codes, in which case it'll be the bank that does the rejection, but this may take a day or two, depending on how the system processes payments.

By the way, at least from the OP's story above, it's not 100% clear that he really gave a wrong CVV code, nor that his bank really rejected the payment. Instead, it sounds like he expected the payment to appear immediately as deducted in his bank account, which wasn't (yet) the case.

• @angstrom said:

@xaoc said:

@angstrom said:

I just said: give it a day or two before opening a thread on LET about it.

If he really gave a wrong CVV code, I'm surprised that the payment wasn't rejected immediately on Hetzner's side, but perhaps their system doesn't check CVV codes, in which case it'll be the bank that does the rejection, but this may take a day or two, depending on how the system processes payments.

By the way, at least from the OP's story above, it's not 100% clear that he really gave a wrong CVV code, nor that his bank really rejected the payment. Instead, it sounds like he expected the payment to appear immediately as deducted in his bank account, which wasn't (yet) the case.

Yea if there's maintenance @ his bank the payment reports could be delayed. Won't hurt calling the bank either i guess. xD But yea in a couple of days it should get resolved one way or the other. Banks will never lose track of money(maybe on purpose xD).

• Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Member, Top Host

@ShihabSoft said:
    That was my last message and they didn't reply for it yet. I am still unsure of what to make out of their replies. Hope someone could explain this situation

Tagging @Hetzner_OL - as I saw him/her active in this forum.

Sorry that I am just now responding to this thread. I have been out of the office for the past few weeks. Do you have a ticket number for this issue? I can then ask one of my colleagues to look into the issue. --Katie, Marketing

• Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Member, Top Host

@ShihabSoft In the meantime, I believe that my client has found your ticket, and will answer you directly via our ticket system.
    Thank you for bringing this to our attention, and thank you to those readers who tagged me by writing "@hetzner_OL". Please keep in mind that I am usually the only one who checks LET for this purpose, and I sometimes cannot do that every business day. Oftentimes, other LET readers may be able to provide the correct answer. Although that was unfortunately not possible here. I'm sorry I wasn't able to help sooner here.
    --Katie

Thanked by 1ShihabSoft