Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VMHaus BGP experiences - no ticket reply?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VMHaus BGP experiences - no ticket reply?

Hey LET,

I've had a ticket pending with no reply about BGP setup at VMHaus for over 2 weeks now, and wondered how other people's BGP setup experiences with them have been?

I know I'm on the lowest plan, so far from a priority, but it'd be nice to know how long it's taken other people, especially given that it's costing me credit for a currently idle VPS in the meantime.

Comments

• First-RootFirst-Root Member, Host Rep

I really don't understand why people stay with hosts that ignore their tickets for 2 weeks

• vmhausvmhaus Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Hey @YellowHummingbird - apologies for the lack of reply.

We're dealing with all our other tickets at the moment because we're facing a big increase in tickets. We'll 100% refund any credit to your account that's been sat idling whilst you're waiting for us.

Working to improve our response times very soon, once again apologies.

Thanked by 1YellowHummingbird
  • edited October 2018

@FR_Michael said:
    I really don't understand why people stay with hosts that ignore their tickets for 2 weeks

Mostly because I’d already had to pre-pay credit for an offer (that had apparently expired anyway, so it was a waste), and I didn’t want to just charge back, because I get the impression it might get me registered on FraudRecord etc.

@vmhaus said:
    Hey @YellowHummingbird - apologies for the lack of reply.

We're dealing with all our other tickets at the moment because we're facing a big increase in tickets. We'll 100% refund any credit to your account that's been sat idling whilst you're waiting for us.

Working to improve our response times very soon, once again apologies.

Thank you for the reply and for being reasonable. I’ll be hopeful to see the promised improvement in support in the near future.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@YellowHummingbird said:
    because I get the impression it might get me registered on FraudRecord etc.

Unrelated to this situation - If a company puts a FR report that you deem not fair and a host won't remove it you can contact FraudRecord. Everyone looks at reports different, some block all and some ignore reports.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2018

@MikeA said:

@YellowHummingbird said:

Unrelated to this situation - If a company puts a FR report that you deem not fair and a host won't remove it you can contact FraudRecord. Everyone looks at reports different, some block all and some ignore reports.

However you look at the situation, it would have been fraud to chargeback in this case.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@Clouvider said:

@MikeA said:

@YellowHummingbird said:

However you look at the situation, it would have been fraud to chargeback in this case.

I'm not talking about charging back a payment, that's why I said immediately before "Unrelated to this situation". Many people think getting a FR report means you're shit out of luck from buying with any hosting company that uses it.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2018

@MikeA said:

@Clouvider said:

@MikeA said:

@YellowHummingbird said:

I'm not talking about charging back a payment, that's why I said immediately before "Unrelated to this situation". Many people think getting a FR report means you're shit out of luck from buying with any hosting company that uses it.

I get that and I agree. Just wanted to underline to the OP that in this case it would have not been justified, in case the Op wouldn’t read between your lines ;-).

• @FR_Michael said:

They're in abusive s&m relationshit.

@Janevski said:

@FR_Michael said:

They're in abusive s&m relationshit.

That's so sick. That must be the persons my mother always warned me about ...

• deankdeank Member, Troll

In a sense, all marriages are S&M.

Don't ever marry especially you are a man.

• OP paid for a service that the vendor can't deliver (even if it's part of it, but appears to be the sole reason OP ordered). If OP did a chargeback, how is that fraud?

• edited October 2018

@realbusiness said:
    OP paid for a service that the vendor can't deliver (even if it's part of it, but appears to be the sole reason OP ordered). If OP did a chargeback, how is that fraud?

I’m also curious about this. Like you said, it was the sole reason I ordered and I double checked it was available via ticket before I ordered.

@MikeA said:

@YellowHummingbird said:

That’s really useful to know - thanks. But I’d still rather avoid any possible upset/arguments; I try to be a considerate customer.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@realbusiness said:
    OP paid for a service that the vendor can't deliver (even if it's part of it, but appears to be the sole reason OP ordered). If OP did a chargeback, how is that fraud?

The fuck is this a fraud?
    He bought a VM, VMHaus delivered it
    Afterwards, he asked for FREE BGP Sessions.

So you want to call fraud for a free service?
    Oh boy.

Thanked by 2Janevski Clouvider
  • edited October 2018

@Neoon said:

@realbusiness said:

The fuck is this a fraud?
    He bought a VM, VMHaus delivered it
    Afterwards, he asked for FREE BGP Sessions.

So you want to call fraud for a free service?
    Oh boy.

To clarify: I don't think it's fraud, because I think they'll do it one day and we didn't agree a time within which it'd be set up. Also, the VPS seems to perform generally well and I'm sure they have more important tickets if they're busy.

But it's important to note I didn't add credit or buy a plan before asking about the BGP setup - we actually started configuring it before I'd added any credit. So it's not like it's some free addon, it was core to me purchasing the service.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Host delivered what you paid for, a functional VPs.

Anything else is a bonus at this point even if your real purpose was something else.

So, yes, in my eyes, it'd be rather unethical to file a chargeback but that hardly stops anyone from doing it.

• @deank said:
    Host delivered what you paid for, a functional VPs.

Anything else is a bonus at this point even if your real purpose was something else.

So, yes, in my eyes, it'd be rather unethical to file a chargeback but that hardly stops anyone from doing it.

I kind of disagree, sorry - I paid for a fully functional VPS with a BGP session. If they hadn’t agreed to that before sale, I wouldn’t have paid. But I still agree it’s ethically dubious to file a chargeback - and I haven’t had to chargeback for hosting before so I don’t want to start now.

I’m happy to wait - I just made this thread to make sure they hadn’t deadpooled :)

Thanked by 1realbusiness
  • justaguyjustaguy Member, Host Rep

don't bother with them, i got my session after a while too, was excited, but it's still filtered by their upstreams 2 weeks later and they do not care. complete ignore from staff on all channels

edited October 2018

nothing to see, please go on

• dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2018

I am also having issues with my BGP advertisements being filtered by their upstream. Currently it takes more than a week for a reply so time to route productive traffic via alternative servers. :)

Here is what I heard today from their support:

Apologies for the delay.

We can see the following routes announced over your session:
    [...]

We can also see these being exported to transits:
    [...]

I'll chase our upstreams with regards to adding your subnets to our prefix-lists in order to further increase visibility.

Apologies again for the delay - A week without a response is unacceptable.

So it looks like they are having some issues with prefix-filtering by their upstreams. I hope they will be able to fix this soon. Besides that, their service was (and is) great and I never had any problems with my VPS so far.

Edit: I just noticed that my announcements via VMHaus are now visible again. So it seems they could finally fix my issue. It confirms my impression that they definitely care about their customers and want to provide a solid service. There just seem to be to many support tickets so you have to wait 1-2 weeks currently. Be patient.

• @dfroe said:
    It confirms my impression that they definitely care about their customers and want to provide a solid service. There just seem to be to many support tickets so you have to wait 1-2 weeks currently. Be patient.

Yeah - they did sort mine out recently too. The announcements are all visible. So I think you're right that they care about their customers. The VPS is very impressive and I like how easy to use the control panel is.

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2018

While there isnt an excuse for there being no reply (unless you where placed explicitly on hold) be aware that upstream providers can be slower than both you and your direct host (VMHaus) might like.

Prefix list updates often require a high tier of support (e.g Network Admin) to action and 3 - 5 working days for an initial setup here is fairly common from our experience.

There may also be a time requirement for list refreshes to take effect (e.g Telia updates daily).

edited October 2018

Every Tier 1 Carrier I work(ed) with update their prefix filters automatically based on given as-set. Normally at least once per day, normally twice.

Telia is updating twice per day for sure ;)

• Oh guys