Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hostmantis Pulls The Plug On VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hostmantis Pulls The Plug On VPS

An email, last night:

After much consideration, we have decided to discontinue our VPS plans and instead focus on our Shared, Reseller and our new Elastic Sites hosting plans.

Therefore, effective immediately we are phasing out our VPS plans and no new orders will be taken.

Got a month to 'move out' but will want to move before my monthly payment is due. Now looking for a cheap KVM cPanel VPS, again. :-(

Comments

• Hetzner + Buycpanel

• [ The trailing comment should have USA added. ;-)
    I think I'll need to wait for BF, to get a VPS with a sensible disc allocation - SSD not required.]

• Probably a sign of the times, the general public is more interested in quick and easy shared hosting than in (unmanaged) VPSes, and to become competitive in VPSes, HM would have to compete against the big players (DO, Vultr, Linode, etc.), which HM can't really do. Or HM aim for the low-end market in VPSes, which they probably don't want to do.

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • @angstrom
    Yeah, it was a cracking price/month, though likely unsustainable for the hassle they'd get from many customers. 'Tis a shame as the service was/is fine.

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • @AlwaysSkint said:
    @angstrom
    Yeah, it was a cracking price/month, though likely unsustainable for the hassle they'd get from many customers. 'Tis a shame as the service was/is fine.

Although I can't comment about their VPSes, their shared hosting is fine, a good provider.

• XiNiXXiNiX Member, Host Rep

@AlwaysSkint said:
    An email, last night:

After much consideration, we have decided to discontinue our VPS plans and instead focus on our Shared, Reseller and our new Elastic Sites hosting plans.

Therefore, effective immediately we are phasing out our VPS plans and no new orders will be taken.

Got a month to 'move out' but will want to move before my monthly payment is due. Now looking for a cheap KVM cPanel VPS, again. :-(

Please Check our KVM Plans Here

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • @angstrom Yeah, I also have a yearly Reseller with them, just for "emergencies"/tests (read, mostly idling)

• AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited October 2018

@XiNiX
    Too expensive for cPanel - that's a standard retail rate.

In general terms, the SSD "fad"/proliferation has meant price per GB is silly, when >40GB is required and SAS "will do".

• 1 core for 15$ ? Hetzner gives 4 cores for the same price.

• @angstrom said:
    shared hosting

Probably, it is dead in the long term. Services like wix have all you need for a corporate website or similar.

• @tsoft said:
    1 core for 15$ ? Hetzner gives 4 cores for the same price.

Aye but not including cPanel, I'd wager.

• @tsoft said:

@angstrom said:
    shared hosting

Probably, it is dead in the long term. Services like wix have all you need for a corporate website or similar.

Seriously, I don't understand why any company would decide to chain themselves to overpriced Wix. The proprietary templates? Really? Is this the future?

(See also https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/11/wordpress-and-wix-trade-shots-over-alleged-theft-of-open-source-code/ .)

• What they aren't selling Docker containers?

• BradyHBradyH Member, Host Rep

we will help any clients out that want to keep same set up and pricing just send an email to sales @ centexhosting . com and we will help you it.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

‘Effective immediately’ sounds like a bad business planning.

Thanked by 1First-Root
  • LeeLee Veteran
    edited October 2018

angstrom said: Seriously, I don't understand why any company would decide to chain themselves to overpriced Wix. The proprietary templates? Really? Is this the future?

For so many small businesses, yes. They want a web presence, they mend shoes, cut keys, build things, sell things and so on but have no technical skill and no interest in being a web pro.

To put that in perspective, a local business I know uses Wix, the site is actually very professional for what they do. Why do they use it?

Wix charges them about £10 per month and gives them precisely what they want and with no technical knowledge it's very easy for them to update.

Prior to using Wix the cheapest quote they got from local web designers was £400 for a 6 page site design and £25 each month to host it. Changes had to be done by them at £30 per hour. Just as chained to them as Wix.

Wix is perfect for many businesses, those that simply want a web presence to get information about their services out there, no particular need for blogs, web sales and so on.

That aside, its easy for someone who knows about hosting and the options available to say Wix is is overpriced and not the best option.

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • @Lee: Fair enough. And I agree that local web designers often take advantage of unsuspecting small companies, so from this perspective, Wix may appear attractive.

When I said "chained to", I was thinking of being "locked in": I don't imagine that there's a migration route away from Wix. So once at Wix, you stay at Wix, else you have to start over (which is costly for a number of reasons).

At least if you pay a local web designer (who charges a fair price), the templates, etc. are yours to move where you want, so there's no lock-in in this sense.

But I'm probably in denial about the brave, new world. :neutral:

• tsofttsoft Member
    edited October 2018

@angstrom said:
    Seriously, I don't understand why any company would decide to chain themselves to overpriced Wix.

Otherwise, they chain themselves with proprietary solutions from overpriced web developers who could disappear anytime.

• @tsoft said:

@angstrom said:
    Seriously, I don't understand why any company would decide to chain themselves to overpriced Wix.

Otherwise, they chain themselves with proprietary solutions from overpriced web developers who could disappear anytime.

As I tried to say just above, I would hope that a web developer would at least give the templates, etc. to the company.

But, yeah, ...