Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Enable cachefilesd on OpenVZ
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Enable cachefilesd on OpenVZ

Hi guys,

Does anyone know if it is possible to enable cachefilesd (local NFS caching system) on OpenVZ VPS's?
I've tried it on several of my OpenVZ across several providers but was never able to, with modprobe errors:

cachefilesd[14003]: * Starting FilesCache daemon cachefilesd
cachefilesd[14003]: modprobe: ERROR: ../libkmod/libkmod.c:514 lookup_builtin_file() could not open builtin file '/lib/modules/2.6.3
cachefilesd[14003]: modprobe: FATAL: Module cachefiles not found in directory /lib/modules/2.6.32-042stab130.1
cachefilesd[14003]: Failed to load fscache module,

However the installation works with KVM every time.

Is it impossible to enable it on OpenVZ, or do I need to request my provider to enable some settings?

Comments

• You can't modify kernel on ovz. Perhaps your admin wouldn't mind to put it. But I don't think so

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

To elaborate a little bit: On OpenVZ (and LXC), the kernel is shared between all containers, which means kernel modules are shared as well. If you want a module to be loaded in your OpenVZ container, it needs to be loaded on the host node itself.

• @Osatien said:
    You can't modify kernel on ovz. Perhaps your admin wouldn't mind to put it. But I don't think so

@FHR said:
    To elaborate a little bit: On OpenVZ (and LXC), the kernel is shared between all containers, which means kernel modules are shared as well. If you want a module to be loaded in your OpenVZ container, it needs to be loaded on the host node itself.

Thanks for the replies.
    Guess I'll try to ask the providers to enable the cachefiles module for my VPS.