Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Storage/Backup Solution? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Storage/Backup Solution?

2»

Comments

• @rajprakash said: Having the data on a home server keeps your data in the same place as the source data, so in the event of a natural disaster or robbery, both your data and the backup are gone.

great post thanks but In the case of a natural disaster I will have other things to worry about.

so what I will do. I will get a vps to host the important files and an hdd to host all the others. i will use duplicati, as it seems to work great!!

• @MikHo said: Encrypted backup files are transferred to targets like FTP, Cloudfiles, WebDAV, SSH (SFTP), Amazon S3 and others.

http://www.duplicati.com/

I can also recommend it, i'm using it for daily encrypted backups to Amazon S3 and it works like a charm.

• @rajprakash said: BuyVM (I have backup plans on both).

Lucky.
    I thought BuyVM backup plans were just myths. :D

As for not-so-important large backups I use (drum roll...)FREE fileserve FTP. Yes I'm cheap! My important files are small enough to be replicated on all my vps'es + home PC.

• well i just realized that duplicati doesn't support syncing. too bad!!

do unison support scheduled backups and rsync? if not what can i use for it?

• IMHO, external hard disk. Why to pay 10-15 per month or more when you pay like 60-80 for a hard disk? Just the price of 4 months and then the disk is yours. Need redundancy, buy another! :D

Unless you need availability of your information anywhere, I don't see the reason to use online backup systems.

• 2 TB disk rsyncing between and it's flying.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

well i just realized that duplicati doesn't support syncing. too bad!!

Duplicati uploads only incremental data, its not a full bqckup everytime.

• @MikHo said: Duplicati uploads only incremental data, its not a full bqckup everytime.

Which is good if you can retrieve previous versions n_n

• @yomero nah, i want to rsync.

• Amazon S3 + s3cmd? rsync would work too

• rsnapshot

• @rajprakash said: rsnapshot

windows

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

The problem with most online backup solutions is the upload speed if you are on DSL with only 512 or 1024 Kbps :-)

I use a mix of online services: google for photo (picasa) and documents, dropbox for documents and file I need to share at fly between my pc, notebook and android devices, one of my own VM for git repository backup of google apps stuffs, etc, amazon s3 as a second layer of backup for my VM

;-)