Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cloudflare: Introducing Bandwidth Alliance
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cloudflare: Introducing Bandwidth Alliance

CloudFlare unveils a partnership with providers such as DigitalOcean and Linode to waive bandwidth transfer costs for CloudFlare customers.

https://blog.cloudflare.com/bandwidth-alliance/

Comments

• TIL Scaleway was founded since 2005. Maybe I was just a kid back then.

• I think this might go against the net neutrality in the EU, although I'm not sure.

• I'm curious if the customer will need to opt in, and if so what information they'll have to go? If it's automatic, then this is a nice feature - I don't think it's really game changing. A good CDN shouldn't require significant amounts of traffic to the origin anyway.

However, if it's opt-in - and requires the customer to provide some information - as a service provider I'd be really worried about how much data CloudFlare is collecting on my customers.

• OnApp_Terry said: A good CDN shouldn't require significant amounts of traffic to the origin anyway.

Exactly.

Also, what is scaleway doing there? They already offer unlimited transfer.

What changes? Double unlimited transfer to cloudflare customers?

Thanked by 1yomero
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

vovler said: Double unlimited

• No no no no. No no no no. No no there's no limit.

Thanked by 3netomx mfs eol
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@Amitz said:
    No no no no. No no no no. No no there's no limit.

No no limits, we'll reach for the sky

• ChuckChuck Member
    edited September 2018

@AnthonySmith said:

@Amitz said:
    No no no no. No no no no. No no there's no limit.

No no limits, we'll reach for the sky

No problem. We could always go to outer space to find another race.

space storage!

Thanked by 1inklight
  • HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@OnApp_Terry said: A good CDN shouldn't require significant amounts of traffic to the origin anyway.

Well Cloudflare isn't just a standard CDN, it's a complete reverse-proxy so all http traffic goes through their connection.

Some people even put Cloudflare in front of like a Plex install to get better routing from remote servers across continents - since your traffic goes through direct peering, over their optimized routes, and then back out through direct peering to your ISP in most cases. So depending on what you're doing there can be significant savings here, even if it's stuff that can't be cached at their edge.

• @Harambe said:

@OnApp_Terry said: A good CDN shouldn't require significant amounts of traffic to the origin anyway.

Well Cloudflare isn't just a standard CDN, it's a complete reverse-proxy so all http traffic goes through their connection.

Some people even put Cloudflare in front of like a Plex install to get better routing from remote servers across continents - since your traffic goes through direct peering, over their optimized routes, and then back out through direct peering to your ISP in most cases. So depending on what you're doing there can be significant savings here, even if it's stuff that can't be cached at their edge.

Cloudflare will enable a "basic version of Argo", which should help with routing for FR Kimsufi Linux-distro-ISO boxes.

• My $0.02:

Big Winner:

Backblaze. The cheapest storage with SLA today is Online.net C14, but C14 is COLD storage and is not suitable for intensive distribution. AWS S3 is great, but not cheap regarding the price for storing and traffic. The waiving of traffic fee would probably make B2 the cheapest solution for static content distributing, as 1) storage for B2 is $0.005/GB/Month - cheaper than C14 intensive and 2) Cloudflare will save (potentially huge chunk of) operation cost for B2, which is already cheap. Imagine a Plex Linux-distro-ISO server running on DigitalOcean / Linode with storage mounted on B2... Maybe the only issue is the time for the first byte on large files.

Good for them:

DigitalOcean & Linode: It's been a while since DigitalOcean(DO) started to billing traffic. For websites on DO and Linode, there is no NEED to move the static content to outside CDN. Another interesting case would be using DO / Linode with Cloudflare for VPN - check SoftEther(over HTTPS) and V2Ray(TLS + WebSocket mode). Or, setup a powerful streaming broadcast server with HLS for a fraction of cost. There may be more potentials and I would love to see more interesting usages.

Neutral:

Google: Don't know whether there will be more price reduction as Google is already giving Cloudflare users a discount on traffic.

Azure: No detailed pricing, but Azure Web App + Cloudflare could have potentials.

No changes:

Automattic & DreamHost & Scaleway: They did not charge for traffic. Maybe Scaleway users could benefit from better routing provided by Argo?

Thanked by 1Bertie
  • Last time I checked on DO and Linode the majority of traffic destined to CloudFlare relied on transit providers, since neither of those providers carry traffic on their own backbones outside of the region your cloud server exists in.

This is a good move, however I am puzzled by some of the logic CloudFlare are using it. As they say thenselves, someone has to cover the costs of the infrastructure to move data from Ashburn to Sydney (example). Whether those packets start life over a PNI link, transit provider or on the original providers backbone, somebody somewhere is picking up the cost. (Not the customer anymore though, thanks to CloudFlare!)

• Quoting from https://techcrunch.com/2018/09/26/cloudflare-partners-with-microsoft-google-and-others-to-reduce-bandwidth-costs/

As Prince noted, though, one thing that turned out to be harder than anticipated was ensuring that the cloud vendors would know that one of their customers is a mutual customer. Some have that instrumentation in place, while Cloudflare needs to pass a special header to them so they can know where their traffic is coming from.

Looks like they would be sharing user data for customer benefit

• @kcaj said:
    Last time I checked on DO and Linode the majority of traffic destined to CloudFlare relied on transit providers, since neither of those providers carry traffic on their own backbones outside of the region your cloud server exists in.

This is a good move, however I am puzzled by some of the logic CloudFlare are using it. As they say thenselves, someone has to cover the costs of the infrastructure to move data from Ashburn to Sydney (example). Whether those packets start life over a PNI link, transit provider or on the original providers backbone, somebody somewhere is picking up the cost. (Not the customer anymore though, thanks to CloudFlare!)

Since Argo is mentioned I suppose it's Cloudflare eating the cost.

@rincewind said: Looks like they would be sharing user data for customer benefit

>

Talking about their bandwidth accounting systems. The header is for the DO/Linode/etc bandwidth monitoring systems to know that traffic from customer X is destined to cloudflare so don't bill customer for said traffic.

edited September 2018

@cnbeining said:

@kcaj said:

Nothing different from how Cloudflare currently works, they're eating those costs already.

The more peering available, the more they win out in the long term. If they're connected to every major cloud provider's edge they can basically scrub any outbound nastiness at the source and free up ports that would normally eat that traffic via transit providers.

• @Harambe said:

@cnbeining said:

@kcaj said:

Nothing different from how Cloudflare currently works, they're eating those costs already.

The more peering available, the more they win out in the long term. If they're connected to every major cloud provider's edge they can basically scrub any outbound nastiness at the source and free up ports that would normally eat that traffic via transit providers.

Considering most of the Internet traffic are from bots, eliminating the cost of transit could have enough benefit to offset all the cost. Not to say Cloudflare will be able to stop the DDoS traffic from compromised servers directly even before the traffic reaches Cloudflare's POP...

Thanked by 1Harambe

@cnbeining said:

Considering most of the Internet traffic are from bots, eliminating the cost of transit could have enough benefit to offset all the cost. Not to say Cloudflare will be able to stop the DDoS traffic from compromised servers directly even before the traffic reaches Cloudflare's POP...

The way I look at it is - they're offering this service already (and have for years) and it's going over more expensive transit, so no matter what they're cutting costs. The hosts who join up win because they save on their transit as well - so they just split the cost of a cross connect at each location.

CF won't be able to stop bad traffic before the PoP, but it's cheaper to sink multiple Gbps over a cheap cross-connect than it is to let that traffic hop through some other upstream in the same city or region.

• @teamacc said:
    I think this might go against the net neutrality in the EU, although I'm not sure.

It's against net neutrality to engage in settlement-free peering?

• Chuck said: We could always go to outer space to find another race

Thanked by 1eol
  • @teamacc said:
    I think this might go against the net neutrality in the EU, although I'm not sure.

The stupid thing is there is no such thing in reality, local traffic via direct peering is usually cheaper than transit, sending a packet next door costs less than half way around the world.

It should only be a net neutrality issue if the providers refuse to do the same for others.

• Actually the reason Cloudflare is able to provide the service for free is that Cloudflare already have direct peering with all the partners at the same pop. Most likely connected by one fiber in the same building - so they are not charging each other for the traffic.

• IonSwitch_StanIonSwitch_Stan Member, Host Rep

While Cloudflare May have peering to IX that lower their cost, this is absolutely costing all parties involved something to support, however no one is doing it out of the goodness of their heart.

For Cloudflare it brings more users onboard, even on the free tier its easiest to move a customer from free to paid than conquest from another CDN.

For DO/Linode it means potentially more customers, if I want to have a service that distributes content, I can now do it with little fear of bandwidth costs at these vendors.

It’s more of a marketing and product differentiation push than anything revolutionary for sure.

• bugrakocbugrakoc Member
    edited November 2018

Seems like Cloudflare wants to become the new systemd. First domains, now this. I'll keep my distance for now while using Gmail on my Android phone. God I'm so clever.