Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[KIMSUFI] Flash sale KS-3 (FR Datacenter) - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[KIMSUFI] Flash sale KS-3 (FR Datacenter)

2»

Comments

• Can I run Windows with that CPU?

• @rm_ said:

Amitz said: "recurring for lifetime" in the OVH world is the timeframe between one of Ole's brainfarts and the next capital funding round.

Indeed. Focusing on how it's "this discounted price for life" is this thread's biggest joke. I already got a price hike on two previous "flash sale" Kimsufi servers.

Really?

For this flash sale, they do say on the corresponding web page, "Tarif valable jusqu'à résiliation, sans limite d'engagement !", which basically means "Price valid until cancellation, without minimal commitment!".

• @quick said:
    Can I run Windows with that CPU?

I don't think that Windows is allowed.

• Windows runs just fine.....no problem

• @angstrom said:

@quick said:

Why not

• @quick said:

@angstrom said:

@quick said:

Why not

Because KS does not allow Windows on their servers. From https://www.kimsufi.com/us/faq/

• Vova1234Vova1234 Member, Patron Provider
    edited September 2018

quick said: Can I run Windows with that CPU?

You will not be able to install Windows via Qemu. The processor does not have KVM support:

Could not access KVM kernel module: No such file or directory
    failed to initialize KVM: No such file or directory

For all other processors you can easily install Windows from rescue: http://vova1234.com/blog/notes/426.html if there is no windows in templates.

saibal said: I have never had to replace a KS disk yet. No idea how that works or how long it takes.

Disks have changed many times, now they change 1 click through the API: https://abcvg.ovh/blog/dc_ovh/73.html

By the way (for anyone), are KS disks reliable? I mean, has anyone lost data at KS because of a disk that goes bad?

No. If you are not a noob and you know how to make backup, you can easily restore it on another server.

Thanked by 1saibal
  • got one, nice offer

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

angstrom said: Really?

For this flash sale, they do say on the corresponding web page, "Tarif valable jusqu'à résiliation, sans limite d'engagement !", which basically means "Price valid until cancellation, without minimal commitment!".

This note is present on every flash sale. And here is the reality:
    https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/126143/ovh-increased-cost-for-antiddos-again

+1 € / month for Kimsufi, +2 € / month for SoYouStart, +5 € / month for OVH servers with 1Gbps network and +10 € / month for OVH servers with 10Gbps / 25Gbps / 40Gbps network. For VPS, the cost of Anti-DDoS will be +1 € / month. For Public Cloud, the cost of Anti-DDoS will be + 2 € / month for VMs in public bandwidth 250Mbps and + 5 € / month for VMs in public bandwidth of 500Mbps.

edited September 2018

Vova1234 said: You will not be able to install Windows via Qemu. The processor does not have KVM support:

You do not need KVM to run Qemu. It runs fine on the Atom N2800 without KVM, in software mode. But yeah, very slow. I did not try to install Windows that way (I don't need to), but that's even how their own "vKVM" ("virtual KVM switch") rescue system worked back in 2013 or so. It was booting your actual OS on HDD via Qemu and giving you VNC access to it -- yes, even on the N2800!

• @rm_ said:

angstrom said: Really?

This note is present on every flash sale. And here is the reality:
    https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/126143/ovh-increased-cost-for-antiddos-again

+1 € / month for Kimsufi, +2 € / month for SoYouStart, +5 € / month for OVH servers with 1Gbps network and +10 € / month for OVH servers with 10Gbps / 25Gbps / 40Gbps network. For VPS, the cost of Anti-DDoS will be +1 € / month. For Public Cloud, the cost of Anti-DDoS will be + 2 € / month for VMs in public bandwidth 250Mbps and + 5 € / month for VMs in public bandwidth of 500Mbps.

Okay, but that was a bit different in the sense that it was an across-the-board price increase for anti-DDoS protection. So, yes, it was a price increase, but it was a price increase across the board for anti-DDoS protection. It wasn't a price increase that applied to the flash sale product alone to cancel the original discount.

• @quick said:

@angstrom said:

@quick said:

Why not

I should have elaborated, but I meant that it was against KS rules, as @saibal made clear.

Naturally, it's another question if one wants to bypass the rules.

angstrom said: It wasn't a price increase that applied to the flash sale product alone to cancel the original discount.

Sure it's not up to the non-discounted price, but still. Economics of the deal changes a bit, and to make it worse there's the setup fee, which you thought you'd justify in so and so years or months, and that's now out of the window. Who knows maybe next time they will add not 1, but 2 or 3 EUR. And that it's "across the board" does not make it automatically okay. Not to mention that since then other products had their prices lowered (e.g. the VPS-SSD is back to the pre-increase prices), but of course on the existing services the higher price stays.

• @rm_ said:

angstrom said: It wasn't a price increase that applied to the flash sale product alone to cancel the original discount.

Sure it's not up to the non-discounted price, but still. Economics of the deal changes a bit, and to make it worse there's the setup fee, which you thought you'd justify in so and so years or months, and that's now out of the window. Who knows maybe next time they will add not 1, but 2 or 3 EUR. And that it's "across the board" does not make it automatically okay. Not to mention that since then other products had their prices lowered (e.g. the VPS-SSD is back to the pre-increase prices), but of course on the existing services the higher price stays.

I see your general point. I can't say to what extent the across-the-board price increase for anti-DDoS protection was justified. It may have partly been a way to compensate for global losses. Hard to say.

My direct concern was whether they had cancelled the discounted price for the flash sale product, but apparently they didn't, so minimally this is good.

Anyway, I'm still on the fence about the KS-3.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited September 2018

If kimsufi says, you got only a /128 its fake news.
    if kimsufi says you cannot install windows, its fake news.

People tell a lot of shit daily, do not belive in what they tell you.

Thanked by 1that_guy
  • I'm surprised that most models are STILL available! Did they build a huge new kimsufi DC with 100.000 servers or something? Cause usually all cheap offers on OVH/SyS/Kimsufi sell out within 2 minutes (e.g. the SyS ARM storage servers). And you're even allowed to order more than 1!

edited September 2018

that_guy said: surprised that most models are STILL available

If you mean this particular offer, it's just a bit mediocre, only 2 EUR off the list price (-25%). And it was pretty much always available at its normal price of 7.99. People who needed one already got theirs, and not many of them will want to reorder and migrate, because of the hassle and the setup fee. Speaking of which, I'd probably get one to check it out and maybe use for a few months, but the setup fee costing almost 2 months of use kills that idea completely.

• @that_guy said:
    I'm surprised that most models are STILL available! Did they build a huge new kimsufi DC with 100.000 servers or something? Cause usually all cheap offers on OVH/SyS/Kimsufi sell out within 2 minutes (e.g. the SyS ARM storage servers). And you're even allowed to order more than 1!

I've always thought that KS-1 and KS-2 were the products that were hard to get. Less so for the other (higher) products.

• ninzo59ninzo59 Member, Host Rep

@rm_ said:

If you mean this particular offer, it's just a bit mediocre, only 2 EUR off the list price (-25%). And it was pretty much always available at its normal price of 7.99. People who needed one already got theirs, and not many of them will want to reorder and migrate, because of the hassle and the setup fee. Speaking of which, I'd probably get one to check it out and maybe use for a few months, but the setup fee costing almost 2 months of use kills that idea completely.

Please remember we dropped price on all kimsufi servers for 4 months. Prices are already really cheap, so 25% on it is in fact quite attractive..

Thanked by 2im_jmz Anna_Parker
  • @ninzo59 said:
    Please remember we dropped price on all kimsufi servers for 4 months. Prices are already really cheap, so 25% on it is in fact quite attractive..

I would hardly consider 50% off a barrel of shit "attractive". I mean, seriously, I've owned pocket calculators with more features and horsepower than these N2800. With the SyS ARM NAS, a bit underpowered but with over 2.5times the bandwidfth, you are your own competitor...

edited September 2018

Shot2 said: with over 2.5times the bandwidfth *

* if you get just the right kernel and the password for it from a guy in dark alleys of IRC.

Seriously though, the N2800 CPU is at least 2x faster than the SYS ARM (probably much more), you can run actual things on it, such as light websites and whatnot. But of course people at large don't know this, so it might not be helping its popularity much.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • MasonRMasonR Community Contributor
    edited September 2018

@Amitz said:
    Funny that this thread is set to sink, by the way.

Twas posted in 'offers' after all. Though it is breaking the offer rules with the imposed setup fee, welcome to the wild west ;)

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • Vova1234Vova1234 Member, Patron Provider
    edited September 2018

rm_ said: You do not need KVM to run Qemu. It runs fine on the Atom N2800 without KVM, in software mode. But yeah, very slow. I did not try to install Windows that way (I don't need to), but that's even how their own "vKVM" ("virtual KVM switch") rescue system worked back in 2013 or so. It was booting your actual OS on HDD via Qemu and giving you VNC access to it -- yes, even on the N2800!

These servers are well suited for VPN, backup, for VMmanager panels, crypto masternodes. Today I am doing all day shifting from other atoms to these.

I'm surprised that most models are STILL available! Did they build a huge new kimsufi DC with 100.000 servers or something? Cause usually all cheap offers on OVH/SyS/Kimsufi sell out within 2 minutes (e.g. the SyS ARM storage servers). And you're even allowed to order more than 1!

These are free remnants of servers from different networks.
    Today dropped out RBX5: 178.32.x.x, 5.135.x.x., 176.31.x.x.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • Shot2Shot2 Member
    edited September 2018

@rm_ said:

Shot2 said: with over 2.5times the bandwidfth *

Seriously though, the N2800 CPU is at least 2x faster than the SYS ARM (probably much more), you can run actual things on it, such as light websites and whatnot. But of course people at large don't know this, so it might not be helping its popularity much.

I have both (dropped the N2800 after years). The difference is not dramatic cpu-wise, and you have to throw the €/TB and setup fee and €/Mbps in the equation:
    http://browser.geekbench.com/geekbench2/compare/2663620/2663621

As for the shadowy kernel, if the OVH staff was not a bland group of clueless chimps, it would have been fixed months ago; but hey, they already take 4 weeks to answer a support ticket, can't ask them too much at a time. Too busy attending great Social Events 2.0 and other grand ceremonies to please big accounts.

• Please allow gigabit port connection on these

@ninzo59 said:

@rm_ said:

• MasonR said: Twas posted in 'offers' after all.

Oh! Right! This is something that I have overseen. Postings in "Offers" are in sink mode by default, aren't they?

Thanked by 1MasonR
  • MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

@Amitz said:

MasonR said: Twas posted in 'offers' after all.

Oh! Right! This is something that I have overseen. Postings in "Offers" are in sink mode by default, aren't they?

Yep, that's correct.

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • So much for conspiration theories! ;-)

Thanked by 1pike