Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!


Zoho Down, Twitter panics
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Zoho Down, Twitter panics

MichaelCeeMichaelCee Barred
edited September 2018 in General

Our (link: http://Zoho.com) Zoho.com domain is blocked and (link: http://tierra.net) tierra.net our domain registrar is not responding. Can someone help us reach their senior executive team?
We're seeking urgent help in reaching the executives of this company: (link: https://www.tierra.net/company) tierra.net/company?

Interesting responses include:

Hey @zoho I just called them and they say that they have been in touch with you. They also said something else to me which gives me concern re: Zoho.

.

"Zoho was suspended after repeated contact requesting them to take action against phishing emails. They didn’t, so we had to suspend them. We have been in contact with them and their services should be up in 24-48 hours."

.

What is going on? I can't access important email for my business huge losses #legalissue

Are you affected?
  1. Are you affected?94 votes
    1. Yes
        8.51%
    2. No
      19.15%
    3. Who cares?
      72.34%
«1

Comments

  • To their credit, it seems to be resolved now - though the DNS update is taking a while to propagate for some people. I wonder what steps they will take to avoid this happening again.

  • RazzaRazza Member
    edited September 2018

    YellowHummingbird said: I wonder what steps they will take to avoid this happening again.

    I think one of the step they would do is transfer the domain to a new registrar, I doubt they can trust them not to pull the plug again.

    I wonder how many times there registrar contacted them about phishing email, a bit extreme to suspend over it as most other mail providers will have that kind of issue with users sending that kind of emails.

  • @Razza said:

    YellowHummingbird said: I wonder what steps they will take to avoid this happening again.

    I think one of the step they would do is transfer the domain to a new registrar, I doubt they can trust them not to pull the plug again.

    That makes sense. I'd have thought they'd have registered their own domain given that they're apparently an ICANN accredited registrar ( https://www.icann.org/registrar-reports/accredited-list.html )

  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

    Razza said: I wonder how many times there registrar contacted them about phishing email, a bit extreme to suspend over it as most other mail providers will have that kind of issue with users sending that kind of emails.

    Not to mention registrars generally are not known for having great email practices. Wouldn't surprise me to hear they use their own mail server and made no effort to see if the recipient received the contact. I'd have to hear a lot more before I'd blame zoho.

    Thanked by 1yongsiklee
  • donlidonli Member
    edited September 2018

    Zowho?

    Thanked by 1dedicados
  • Interesting to see all the ragequit tweets.

    If this was Google, You wouldn't hear a chirp even from tier 1 support, let alone the CEO.

    I'm curious to see how the story unfolds.

    Thanked by 2Chuck Devil
  • Ho-ost said: "Zoho was suspended after repeated contact requesting them to take action against phishing emails. They didn’t, so we had to suspend them. We have been in contact with them and their services should be up in 24-48 hours."

    Heh.. why not also suspend Google and Yahoo for phishing emails? They cannot deal that way with large business to cut off all clients

    Thanked by 2Chuck yongsiklee
  • zoDOH - Simpsons

  • @jar said:

    Razza said: I wonder how many times there registrar contacted them about phishing email, a bit extreme to suspend over it as most other mail providers will have that kind of issue with users sending that kind of emails.

    Not to mention registrars generally are not known for having great email practices. Wouldn't surprise me to hear they use their own mail server and made no effort to see if the recipient received the contact. I'd have to hear a lot more before I'd blame zoho.

    But if you're a serious Internet property like Zoho, you don't keep registration with some $12/year registrar that runs their own mail server on a BuyVM VPS and makes no effort to see if the recipient received the contact.

    You keep registration with an enterprise solution like MarkMonitor or you form your own registrar like Facebook's RegistrarSafe.

  • EasedEased Member, Host Rep

    The real question is who the f is Tierra.net and why was Zoho using them? Time to add some multi-domain DNS redundancy. Sorry but no sympathy for Zoho on this one.

  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

    (a) Using someone like tierra as registrar Zoho got what it deserved.
    (b) A registrar blocking a domain due to alleged spamming? That "registrar" smells strange.
    (c) Zoho should sue the living sh_t out of tierra and if that doesn't work consider a wet solution. Simple rule: Tolerate it once if a dog bites you and he will continue to bite you. The right solution is to kill that dog.
    (d) I hardly know Zoho (have an email account there I think) and don't care. But looking at what happened I begin to wonder whether mental asylums have entered the internet business.

  • ricardoricardo Member
    edited September 2018

    vimalware said: I'm curious to see how the story unfolds.

    Exactly, dunno how anyone can jump to conclusions.

    Registrars have rules to follow, and I've lost count of the number of times I've heard complaints from the other side of the fence wrt inaction from registrars for anything from inaccurate WHOIS, stolen content etc etc.

    My local DNS is replying with SERVFAIL but public DNS is showing them as resolving, little TTL and multiple providers, FWIW (not that it has any relevance)
    ;; ANSWER SECTION:
    zoho.com. 299 IN NS dns1.p03.nsone.net.
    zoho.com. 299 IN NS dns2.p03.nsone.net.
    zoho.com. 299 IN NS dns3.p03.nsone.net.
    zoho.com. 299 IN NS ns1.vtitan.com.
    zoho.com. 299 IN NS pdns90.ultradns.com.
    zoho.com. 299 IN NS pdns90.ultradns.net.

  • @Eased said:
    The real question is who the f is Tierra.net and why was Zoho using them?

    I always wonder why such big companies rely on nonames like terra tierra. The website ranks as 200k in Alexa https://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/tierra.net. Even .net is not serious for a registrar.

    Poorly designed, feels like a free template from 2005. Overall, the website looks like a summer host. Always-online namecheap, name com, daddy, bulletproof internetbs, why not one of these?

  • This company hasn't updated the server since 2015

    Thanked by 1desperand
  • tsofttsoft Barred
    edited September 2018

    However, they have an incredibly awesome tool for checking the availability of a domain in real time.

    https://www.tierra.net/domains

    Must have in bookmarks!

  • They're an ICANN accredited registrar, there's plenty others that haven't updated their front end in yonks, including some of the largest, like srsplus.

    They don't have to be shiny, new and bootstrapped to be credible

  • RhysRhys Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2018

    @tsoft said:
    This company hasn't updated the server since 2015

    What? That's the version shipped in updates & security in xenial which is still very much maintained.

  • @Hukin said:

    Ho-ost said: "Zoho was suspended after repeated contact requesting them to take action against phishing emails. They didn’t, so we had to suspend them. We have been in contact with them and their services should be up in 24-48 hours."

    Heh.. why not also suspend Google and Yahoo for phishing emails? They cannot deal that way with large business to cut off all clients

    If they suspended Google, Google would cut off their internet.

  • @Eased said:
    The real question is who the f is Tierra.net and why was Zoho using them? Time to add some multi-domain DNS redundancy. Sorry but no sympathy for Zoho on this one.

    What People Are Saying About Us:

    In 1996, songs like the Macerana and Gangsta's Paradise were hitting the top of the music charts. It was also during this time that the founders of TierraNet were launching a software development company. While looking for somewhere to host their website, they quickly realized their choices were not very good. After much research and discussion, the four friends decided to start their own Web Hosting service. Launched Jan 14, 1997, TierraNet was born with a mission to provide quality, affordable DIY web hosting. Becoming a member of our family enables you to control your content and gives you a helping hand when you need one. With our U.S. based customer service, we've created an environment that easily understands your needs. Our passion for quality service and affordable pricing gives you the benefits of corporate web hosting without "the red tape." Don't take our word for it though, check out what our customers are saying below.

  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited September 2018

    @ricardo said:
    They're an ICANN accredited registrar, there's plenty others that haven't updated their front end in yonks, including some of the largest, like srsplus.

    They don't have to be shiny, new and bootstrapped to be credible

    Anyone expecting that of a registrar would find themselves quite frustrated for sure. Everything old was once new. Transferring domains costs a lot of money. Registrars are not often known for their incredible development and sysadmin teams. Not even the largest ones.

  • ricardoricardo Member
    edited September 2018

    They're all pretty much the same on the backend anyways, EPP and bureaucracy depending on how many TLDs they want to get muddled in.

    Dunno who is to 'blame' here (not that into it either tbh) but drawing conclusions on the registrars website ain't that clever for sure.

  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited September 2018

    Chuck said: If they suspended Google, Google would cut off their internet.

    Google is accredited, i'm fairly sure they buy their domain from themselves :tongue:

    I've actually put in some into researching becoming accredited, was pretty interesting.

    Francisco

    Thanked by 3Chuck eva2000 vimalware
  • Who is zoho?

    Thanked by 1ehab
  • Francisco said: I've actually put in some into researching becoming accredited, was pretty interesting.

    buydomain™ soon™ ???

  • yongsikleeyongsiklee Member, Patron Provider

    @Francisco said:

    Chuck said: If they suspended Google, Google would cut off their internet.

    Google is accredited, i'm fairly sure they buy their domain from themselves :tongue:

    I've actually put in some into researching becoming accredited, was pretty interesting.

    Francisco

    I hope Google misses to renew its domain google.com in time so that I can register it in the meantime. But then...what happens? Will Google register me right after?

  • @yongsiklee said:

    @Francisco said:

    Chuck said: If they suspended Google, Google would cut off their internet.

    Google is accredited, i'm fairly sure they buy their domain from themselves :tongue:

    I've actually put in some into researching becoming accredited, was pretty interesting.

    Francisco

    I hope Google misses to renew its domain google.com in time so that I can register it in the meantime. But then...what happens? Will Google register me right after?

    A black van with tinted windows will appear at your residence.

  • @yongsiklee said:

    @Francisco said:

    Chuck said: If they suspended Google, Google would cut off their internet.

    Google is accredited, i'm fairly sure they buy their domain from themselves :tongue:

    I've actually put in some into researching becoming accredited, was pretty interesting.

    Francisco

    I hope Google misses to renew its domain google.com in time so that I can register it in the meantime. But then...what happens? Will Google register me right after?

    https://www.theverge.com/2016/1/29/10868404/google-reveals-how-much-it-paid-the-guy-who-bought-google-com

    https://www.businessinsider.sg/this-guy-bought-googlecom-from-google-for-one-minute-2015-9/?r=US&IR=T

    Thanked by 1yongsiklee
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

    @Amfy said:

    Francisco said: I've actually put in some into researching becoming accredited, was pretty interesting.

    buydomain™ soon™ ???

    Hah!

    Francisco

  • @tsoft said:
    Even .net is not serious for a registrar.

    I hope that's not a serious comment :-)

  • @Devil said:
    I hope that's not a serious comment :-)

    Give me top 20 well-known registrars on dot net.
    Gandi, internetbs (this one is used by spammers, torrent trackers).

Sign In or Register to comment.