Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Deploying Plex Google Drive - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Deploying Plex Google Drive

2»

Comments

• Would a host that hosts media files only and give access to people be a good idea ? I have 12Tb of series and movies stored myself, and i rarely use any of it to be honest.

• @Wolveix do you have any tweaks? I set it up in my Hetzner dedi and, while it works, playback startup noticeably slower (like 4 or 5 times slower) for significantly smaller content (I'm trying with 1-2 GB files / 1500-2000 Mbps bitrate to start).

I'm using this mount command that I found somewhere:

/usr/bin/rclone mount --read-only --allow-other --acd-templink-threshold 0 --stats 1s --buffer-size 250M --timeout 5s --contimeout 5s -v --log-file=/tmp/rclonemount.log $REMOTE: $MOUNTPOINT &

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • WolveixWolveix Member
    edited October 2018

@hacktek Absolutely. The majority of my files have bitrates of around 10mbps - 12mbps. After sorting out the following tweaks, I was able to near enough match the performance of PlexDrive. It's worth noting that you could create RClone cache remotes over your standard remotes. You can find normally find your RClone config file under $HOME/.config/rclone/rclone.conf

RClone remote:

[GDriveRemote]
    type = drive
    client_id = stringofnumbersandletters.apps.googleusercontent.com
    client_secret = 24characterstring
    scope = drive
    token = {“access_token”:“tokenstuff”,“token_type”:“Bearer”,“refresh_token”:“refreshtokenstuff”,“expiry”:“0000-00-00T00:00:00.000000000+00:00”}

RClone cache:

type = cache
    remote: GDriveRemote:/Path/To/Media/
    plex_username: your_username
    plex_password: encrypted_pass
    chunk_size = 10M
    info_age = 6h
    chunk_total_size = 10G
    plex_token: plex_auth_token

RClone mount script:

rclone mount Cache: /path/to/dir --allow-non-empty --allow-other --cache-db-purge --fast-list --poll-interval 10m &

After a lot of tweaking, this has been the absolute best configuration that I've used. If you don't want to use a RClone cache remote for whatever reason, you can use the vfs flags over a standard mount, which you can read more about here: https://rclone.org/commands/rclone_mount/#chunked-reading

• I prefer the chunk size version. I think that cache needs to use that settings too because Google downloads full file for each chunk from the cache as I have understand from this link

https://forum.rclone.org/t/new-feature-vfs-read-chunk-size/5683

• hacktekhacktek Member
    edited October 2018

@Wolveix

This is very helpful, thank you. I ended up scratching rclone for now and went with Plexdrive and it's miles faster than what I had previously. I don't know if rclone would be faster but for my needs, this works well as I don't see a significant difference (if any) when comparing to local content.

One thing I found is that when I tried rclone I wasn't using my own client and secret so I assume I was sharing some generic API key with a bunch of people. Going through the logs I was seeing a lot of delays due to rate limiting 403's which I assume now was related to the slowness I was seeing.

Thanked by 1Wolveix
  • @hacktek You're welcome. Honestly, I found that PlexDrive was a bit quicker, but it used more system resources (CPU primarily). 100% using your own ID and secret make a huge difference. Glad to hear that you've got a working solution though :)

• @yokowasis said:
    I give up using Plex in Google drive. Kodi have native support with Google drive with an add-ons. No need for a work around. I am migrating to Kodi.

Try ddurdle's gdrive. works better imo.

• I've never had any problems using Gdrive with Plex (rclone vfs). Using and SyS server and I can either transcode or direct play 1080p Remuxes just fine.