Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Colocation 1 AMP power for R610 with Intel 2X5650, 64 gig ram, 6X 5400 rpm disks? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Colocation 1 AMP power for R610 with Intel 2X5650, 64 gig ram, 6X 5400 rpm disks?

2»

Comments

• yongsikleeyongsiklee Member, Patron Provider

@FHR said:

@yongsiklee said:

@Clouvider said:
    @randvegeta you’re comparing the most recent power saving tech with a scrap that should die long time ago. They are not able to go down with consumption at idle even close to the newest gens.

Could you elaborate what you are saying? I kind of understand what you are implying but do not fully understand it.

Older gen CPUs cannot regulate their power consumption based on load very much.
    Modern CPUs will, while idling, take very little power.

Oh I see. Thx. :-)

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

@Clouvider said:
    @randvegeta you’re comparing the most recent power saving tech with a scrap that should die long time ago. They are not able to go down with consumption at idle even close to the newest gens.

I have found that underclocking is generally more effective on older CPUs that newer ones.

NEW CPUs do a good job at reducing power when idling compared to older CPUs. So I think my statement is even more true for older CPUs.

But performance per watt absolutely stinks, especially compared to modern CPUs.

• yongsikleeyongsiklee Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2018

@randvegeta said:

@Clouvider said:

I have found that underclocking is generally more effective on older CPUs that newer ones.

NEW CPUs do a good job at reducing power when idling compared to older CPUs. So I think my statement is even more true for older CPUs.

But performance per watt absolutely stinks, especially compared to modern CPUs.

Maybe it is me who are not very much concerned with a few (dozen) watts saving per CPU.
    I still am not much impressed with modern powerful CPUs, with one of which cost I can build a few (dozen!) servers (one with Dell R610, Dual 2.66/3.06 GHz with 12 cores, 64 gig ecc memory, 2X SAS 15K 160 gig drive, H700, etc, for example, the current one of mine except for the SSD disks).