Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WHOIS Privacy - why some Registrars offer it for free...but some don't?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

WHOIS Privacy - why some Registrars offer it for free...but some don't?

For example: .biz

NameSilo; Porkbun; Namecheap have WHOIS Privacy for free.

Whois.com; Name.com; Gandi.net ( charge for WHOIS Privacy).

Comments

• Capitalism

• There's a cost associated with providing that protection... e.g. Lawyers to defend the right to protect your privacy. https://www.quora.com/Why-does-domain-privacy-cost-extra

In addition, a lot of the time WHOIS protection is unnecessary. If you're a business, putting your address and contact details on a domain is kind of expected. It would seem shady if you didn't.

• pikepike Veteran
    edited September 2018
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@pike said:
    GDPR

That affects EU citizens and not doing business only.

• I understand There's a cost associated with providing that protection...But why does the same Registrar offer Free WHOIS Privacy for one domain but not another?

For example:

Gandi.net offers free WHOIS Privacy for .info but they don't do it for .biz

• Maybe they feel the domain is not worth, or, have to had a public whois info

Thanked by 1Chuck
  • Dynadot also provides free whois privacy, name.com also with the coupon code.

GoDaddy charges $10 for whois privacy. It depends upon the registrar, the larger the company the more they will charge for even free things.

Look at network solutions, their renewal fee is $35 and whois privacy $10+.

Most (lcn.com and register.it tried European mostly) registrars are now hiding whois details without evwn enabling whois privacy. They provide a contact form link to contact the admin of the domain.

Thanked by 1Chuck
  • Cash grab. GoDaddy feeds of the noob corporate's and tech illiterate

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@Chuck said:
    I understand There's a cost associated with providing that protection...But why does the same Registrar offer Free WHOIS Privacy for one domain but not another?

For example:

Commercial / complaince (or lack of the rules) reasons presumably.

• agentmishraagentmishra Member, Host Rep

its as obvious like this business model

project a rate, put addons for extra profit

• Those who registered in EU and follow GDPR provide it for free, even switch existing non Whois privacy domains to privacy enabled for free.

• @Chuck said:
    I understand There's a cost associated with providing that protection...But why does the same Registrar offer Free WHOIS Privacy for one domain but not another?

For example:

I don't think that there is a deep reason for this difference.

My guess is that .biz is more likely used for businesses (where's it's good/expected to have a public WHOIS), whereas .info is more likely to be used by non-business individuals/organizations that may prefer WHOIS privacy.