Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

x264 benchmark
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

x264 benchmark

Hi guys,

Since the only heavy talk my VPS has to fulfill its transcoding some stuff from time to time, I would like to run the x264 benchmark, so I can easily compare my current Netcup RS to other offers.

Unfortunately,I don't seem to figure out how I can install and run the benchmark. So, if anyone could give me a hint, it is much appreciated.

Until now I was using Geekbench 4 for comparison but since there is a x264 benchmark itself I figured this would suit my needs best. In case you guys have a different benchmark which also determines the transcoding power of a server, just let me know.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Convert the same file on different servers with ffmpeg and look at the FPS?

• As stated above, get a few test files. Run a command line conversion wrapped around "time" command that will give the time to process. Benchmarks are relative and subjective, a real world test will give you much better impression of performance and you'll have ballpark idea of processing time in your head for future estimates of processing time.

• jlayjlay Member
    edited September 2018

https://www.phoronix-test-suite.com/

Does x264 and oh so much more. Really easy to automate the testing, and has a nice web UI if you're into that kind of thing. We use it at work for hardware validation and other testing (eg: optimization, regression testing).

It's probably packaged on your distribution, but may be a bit older than what they offer upstream

• Thanks for the feedback guys!

Especially to @jlay, that's exactly what I was looking for but couldn't find.

• jlayjlay Member
    edited September 2018

Glad it fits your needs! Happy to help :smile: If you have any issues with it or general questions, feel free to post 'em - I'll keep an eye out for notifications here. I've had some minor issues in the past with PTS not running some tests when dependencies and stuff are missing.

Edit:
    If I recall correctly, there are Docker images available for PTS. That may help resolve the occasional test failure/dependency issue - the creator may have wrestled through that already.

Thanked by 2mfs neik