Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Creating a simple listening system, php?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Creating a simple listening system, php?

armandorgarmandorg Member, Host Rep

Ok so i was wondering what would be the easiest way to create something like this:

Clients login eith the details i give them, different logins. They will access a small panel where they can add product and pricing. All the lidtening shows in the main page. Thats it.

No payments or anything.

As i am a front end developer and i wanna do this myself, how can i make something like this the fastest way. Should i check some php tutorial? What do you recommend?

Comments

• FlamesRunnerFlamesRunner Member
    edited September 2018

If you want production grade, and you haven't any experience with PHP, I'd hire someone.

If you want to do it yourself, learn a framework such as Laravel. It's not fast, but it'll prepare you for future projects.

In any case, I wouldn't mind helping you out to do parts of it provided you make it open source -- though don't count on me finishing the entire thing for you free of charge and give exclusive rights to you.

• ZiriusPHZiriusPH Member
    edited September 2018

Agree with FlamesRunner, if you plan on using that system for public use, you'd definitely have to consider hiring someone do it for you, especially there's authentication system, it would be a waste of time if its only up for a month and hacked right after, and over and over again.

If the listing requires to be bot crawlable, its easiest to use server side rendering, so go with PHP, Rails, Django, but since you need easiest and cheapest (time to develop x cost), you'd go with PHP, just make sure you hire a good developer because a system written in crap is not easy to scale and moreover many developers turn down projects once they saw how toxic the original code was written.

If the listing doesn't really need to be crawlable and you prioritize user-friendly-experience, go with any SPA specialized stack or in this generation any NodeJS stack, Angular, Vue, ReactJS. But since you also need it to be easy and cheap, go with VueJS, but if possible ReactJS if you want more flexibility and clean code.

If this is something simple that you only want to learn how to do it. Probably go with building it with Laravel or Wordpress. I think we hired someone who learned Laravel from "Codecourse" channel in Youtube, he's quite surprising knowing he only started coding 2 years ago. If you're total newbie, go with Laravel as you'll start from scratch (hence your canvass is clean); instead of learning "how-to-do-it" in Wordpress.

Regards,

• DedicadudeDedicadude Member
    edited September 2018

@FlamesRunner said:
    If you want production grade, and you haven't any experience with PHP, I'd hire someone.

If you want to do it yourself, learn a framework such as Laravel. It's not fast, but it'll prepare you for future projects.

In any case, I wouldn't mind helping you out to do parts of it provided you make it open source -- though don't count on me finishing the entire thing for you free of charge and give exclusive rights to you.

Laravel? I suggest he learn some basic PHP 7 first before he learn any frameworks.

Also before you jump into Angular/ReactJS or any other Google/Facebook frameworks, go learn some basic javascript.

My best advise for you is to install WordPress and install some (form) plugins to get it done easily through GUI and little-to-no coding.

Also: most probably, you need a database for your project so choose wisely. mysql can be too extreme for your use case, but you can also just use Google Form and save them to Google Sheet to solve your problem.

• @Dedicadude

I suggested it because it includes a versatile login/authentication system built in and is easy to work with once you're familiar.

• ZiriusPHZiriusPH Member
    edited September 2018

[Dedicadude said]

Laravel? I suggest he learn some basic PHP 7 first before he learn any frameworks.

Also before you jump into Angular/ReactJS or any other Google/Facebook frameworks, go learn some basic javascript.

My best advise for you is to install WordPress and install some (form) plugins to get it done easily through GUI and little-to-no coding.

Well if that works for him. IMO its like saying "Learning to drive? Learn the car first!"

Honestly, I don't think ppl learn PHP,JS or whatever language by actually knowing them, I think ppl learn them when you started to actually use them and have these tools to satisfy the goals you have. Though you might have a point when talking about code cleanliness.

• DedicadudeDedicadude Member
    edited September 2018

@FlamesRunner said:
    @Dedicadude

I suggested it because it includes a versatile login/authentication system built in and is easy to work with once you're familiar.

I work a lot with Laravel and CodeIgniter too. I love them, but from how he explained his problem, I doubt he knows anything about classes, arrays, whatnot OOP. His learning curve will be more difficult if he doesn't have any basic PHP and jump directly using those frameworks. Frameworks are great, save time. But PHP itself is a template engine...

also: Laravel is too overrated. For someone how is totally new, when you first starting with Laravel and trying to run it on a local development machine. One have to know how to handle Apache virtual host. Else, learn some vagrant box, and many other tools. Homestead for example. Remember, this is just the infrastructure, not yet about the actual Laravel usage. CLI/Eloquent, etc. He will end up learning for a few months before he can actually build a simple system.
    &
    Laravel = money making scheme just like my signature.

Thanked by 2FlamesRunner corbpie
  • @ZiriusPH said:

[Dedicadude said]

Well if that works for him. IMO its like saying "Learning to drive? Learn the car first!"

Honestly, I don't think ppl learn PHP,JS or whatever language by actually knowing them, I think ppl learn them when you started to actually use them and have these tools to satisfy the goals you have. Though you might have a point when talking about code cleanliness.

Not sure why you are comparing coding/programming with learning how to drive/ get-to-know the cars. Just the mere thought of it gave me a little chuckle.
    If you say coding = driving. language = car. Then what are frameworks? If you learn how to drive, regardless of which car you are using. At least, know some basic stuff like how to change your car tires, pump your car fuel. If you have engine problem, you hire a mechanic... But if you run out of fuel, you don't simply change your car or hire someone to refuel.

Nevermind, just trolling you around. I suggested him some solutions above. But in the end it's better to just learn the basic first.

Thanked by 1ZiriusPH
  • trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

If you consider yourself a competent front end developer and want to stick with what you know then go with Firebase. It will give you everything you want out of the box without messing around and you won't need to run your own backend.

• PM me if you want any help creating this. Its super simple to do

Thanked by 1armandorg
  • I also like to contribute. How about making it opensource on github ? so we can contribute ?

@armandorg @PremiumN

Thanked by 1armandorg
  • armandorgarmandorg Member, Host Rep

Hey, could you please provide me with your skypes / email so we can have a chat ?

Regards, Armand