Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any interest in a personal email / cloud box?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any interest in a personal email / cloud box?

Hi. I am setting up my own email box and was wondering if anyone might be interested in paying for this. It's quite vanilla, with focus on security/privacy.

• Add/remove domains/addresses/aliases, generate config for email clients.
  • Recipient Delimiter enabled , block RD aliases you receive spam to.
  • Use regex to discard spam (order confirmations etc) you can't unsubscribe from.
  • Nextcloud integration (including CardDAV, CalDAV, Notes, Talk, external storage,...).
  • POP3/IMAP, Squirrelmail (web mail client).
  • One VPS/IP/Dedi per customer.

Emails and files are stored encrypted, strong hashes, strong ciphers, IP header removal. No logs, filtering, surveillance, and so on.

Stuff I might add: catch-all, roundcube, seedbox (files accessible in Nextcloud), VPN, whitelabel, DKIM, mandatory TLS to email servers that are known to support it, quota, storing received attachments in Nextcloud, encrypt incoming emails with PGP key, IPv6

Private email server with Nextcloud
  1. Would you pay for it?30 votes
    1. yes, right now
        3.33%
    2. maybe later, I want other features first (specify below)
        6.67%
    3. no
      90.00%

Comments

• So it's paid installation and hosting service for something like https://mailinabox.email functionality?

Thanked by 1gol3m
  • @TimboJones said:
    So it's paid installation and hosting service for something like https://mailinabox.email functionality?

Pretty much, although it's kind of different. I wanted email and file encryption, regular expression filtering, mandatory per-recipient TLS, paranoid settings (hash, key length, ciphers), a recipient delimiter that isn't + (and the ability to block recipient delimiter aliases), automated updates, quota, PGP, and goodies like a seedbox, all things that mailinabox apparently doesn't have.

Instead, mailinabox comes with useless and annoying things like postgrey, DNS server, fail2ban, and even DKIM + spamassassin aren't exactly great for several reasons (both only work when you make decisions based on their result, which most don't).

Buuuttt... it looks like no one here thinks the same way. Thanks for the votes, everyone.

• mfsmfs Banned, Member

We have successful providers here offering a subset of what you're proposing, you're seemingly getting many "no" IMHO because what you're suggesting seems unlikely to be offered at scale and in the low end segment, moreover you're not seen as a reputable provider and some readers may have their self-hosted nextcloud already (I have two myself, go figure; not to mention syncthing and seafile)

Eventually, it seems you don't have a clear idea about what to offer and you believe that going "all in" offering everything (even a complimentary VPN and a seedbox) may sound nice. But all this rings a deadpool bell.
    Don't curb your enthusiasm, you set up your own email and now you want to give it to everyone with settings you believe optimal. There's probably some road in front of you to battle test your solution. There is a market for subsets of what you want to offer but IMHO you have to better focus on a core business and see if and how you can scale. Even offering just e-mail setup and management (with sensible security settings) for a profit isn't easy at all and I would not trust someone who has just set up their email for a paid for-production solution.

Besides. The OpenPGP standard was a mess to start with and it is pretty (and rightfully, if you ask me) dead outside of small circles; here you're trying to target a niche of a niche and that niche probably would just setup their own thing. Also. Recycling the VPS used as mail server for a seedbox, VPN and whatnot isn't probably the best thing.

Thanked by 1gol3m