Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Google Drive - Is it served from a local POP or ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Google Drive - Is it served from a local POP or ?

Hi,

Plex Cloud has been sunsetted, as a result I'm looking to install Plex on a VPS or dedi.

Would it be better to do:

My House (ZA) --> Local ZA VPS (PLEX Server) --> Google Drive (via Rclone)

OR

My House (ZA) --> Kimsufi FRA dedicated server (PLEX Server) --> Google Drive (via Rclone)

Would I get any benefit to using a local ZA host, or does Google Drive not peer locally like that? Would all my Google traffic be served from ZA POP or is it always from the US or EU etc?

Any idea?

Thanks!

Comments

• brian777brian777 Member
    edited September 2018

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

https://www.google.com/about/datacenters/inside/locations/index.html

Traffic will be served by the nearest Google DC. I don't think you'll get better performance via a local provider over one in EU since most traffic will likely be routed that way from Google anyway. I'd worry more about the transcode ability of the server that you select than the location. Hetzner auction server still seem to be the best bang for the buck if you'll be transcoding a fair amount.

Thanked by 1dfmcvn
  • @MasonR said:

Traffic will be served by the nearest Google DC. I don't think you'll get better performance via a local provider over one in EU since most traffic will likely be routed that way from Google anyway. I'd worry more about the transcode ability of the server that you select than the location. Hetzner auction server still seem to be the best bang for the buck if you'll be transcoding a fair amount.

Thanks, that's pretty informative.

I'm not too worried about transcoding multiple streams as i'll be the only user for now.

• I've used GDrive via RClone for Plex across WSI/Nocix, Hetzner Cloud, and Hetzner Auction. I haven't experienced any latency in pulls from GDrive. If anything, it usually comes down to the last mile after transcoding to the user where issues are usually rearing their head.

• Check your current download/upload speed to Google Drive during peak hours and see the performance.

• @MasonR said:

Traffic will be served by the nearest Google DC.

Traffic will likely be routed through their nearest PoP, but that doesn’t mean to say the content is being stored there. Particulary for users who are utilising storage services on servers not in their home country, I doubt we can expect Google to be replicating data across all regions we have a server at.

Thanked by 2MasonR Clouvider