Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What are the specs of a typical server that can host 1,200 domains?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What are the specs of a typical server that can host 1,200 domains?

I do a Whois Lookup on a shared hosting provider. Their Name Servers say:

NS1.Domain.COM (has 1,200 domains)

Comments

• Cpanel usually advertises the spec of the machine (which many shared providers use), or you can use the command line enough to figure iout the rest

• The shared hosting that I use. They hide most Cpanel information.

They hide the Resource Usage. I can't even check CPU usage, I/O usage, IOPS and memory.

• Do you have shell access or can execute shell commands from your website? Check /proc/cpuinfo etc

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Just because a nameserver, has 1200 domains listed, does not mean, one single server hosts these 1200 domains.

• And obviously some domains get more traffic and cause more load than others.

• may be parked domain not active domain lol

• Shot2Shot2 Member
    edited September 2018

What are the specs of a typical car that can reach 20mph?

• Xeon.

• AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@Chuck said:
    I do a Whois Lookup on a shared hosting provider. Their Name Servers say:

NS1.Domain.COM (has 1,200 domains)

Most providers use a DNS cluster, for example, ns1 above might host 1,200 domains dns, but could be 15 cPanel servers.

A

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • @Shot2 said:

Eleven. ;-)
    For the rest, see @Neoon and @ricardo.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

How long is a string? You can't see the string.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@Yura said:
    Xeon.

Xenon.

Thanked by 1AMXRT
  • @Neoon said:

@Yura said:
    Xeon.

Xenon.

Xenia.

• @quick said:

@Neoon said:

@Yura said:
    Xeon.

Xenon.

Xenia.

Xena, warrior princess.

Thanked by 2MasonR levnode
  • mfsmfs Banned, Member

Shot2 said: What are the characteristics of a car that can reach 20mph?

deank said: How long is a string? You can't see the string.

If a server falls in a forest, does it make any whirring noise?

<vent>

Leaving aside the remarks about the nameserver not being (necessarily) the hosting server, today someone made me notice that a local small web agency that shall remain unnamed has sold the same single third-party "cloud server" bought via a fourth-party reseller, they didn't even buy it directly to ~150 customers (324+ domains are pointing there, often paired as in site.tld1 + site.tld2); the verified specs of the "cloud server" for this purpose include 2 PREMIUM vCPUs, 4 GB RAM, 100 GB. Most sites don't happen to have https, none of them attempt to at least use something like cloudflare to relieve the pain and they're all invariably slow as molasses even if they're all pretty simple (no more than five pages, almost invariably it's wordpress+theme). Some sites don't even redirect properly (e.g. site.tld1 displays after much suffering a server default page while site.tld2 shows the intended site). The best part is that this agency pitches "SEO optimized" services to their customers and they tell they're using their very own personal very virtual server as well; their audience is a bunch of small/family businesses who probably don't have any idea about what they're buying. A complimentary basic G-Suite is included et voilà they're selling something extra-premium. The price they ask for hosting and (g)mail only not even for design, logos and posts on social media or whatever SEO trickery is currently in vogue made me spill my coffee (€€€€)(four digits)("domains included!").

</vent>

If 1200 domains get 0 visit, you can host them all on a PREMIUM raspberry pi I guess

• @opsflops said:

@quick said:

@Neoon said:

@Yura said:
    Xeon.

Xenon.

Xenia.

Xena, warrior princess.

Zion, Intel's home city.

• @Shot2 said:

A Tesla

Thanked by 2PrestigeWS jetchirag
  • mfsmfs Banned, Member

@Yura said:

@opsflops said:

@quick said:

@Neoon said:

@Yura said:
    Xeon.

Xenon.

Xenia.

Xena, warrior princess.

Zion, Intel's home city.

Zen, AMD's last bastion.

Thanked by 1Yura
  • Through is a limit on number of cPanel accounts . This must be a Xeon server with sufficient RAM and Cloudlinux.

• @mfs said:

@Yura said:

@opsflops said:

@quick said:

@Neoon said:

@Yura said:
    Xeon.

Xenon.

Xenia.

Xena, warrior princess.

Zion, Intel's home city.

Zen, AMD's last bastion.

Xanax, my favorite.

Thanked by 1Yura
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited September 2018

@Neoon said:
    Just because a nameserver, has 1200 domains listed, does not mean, one single server hosts these 1200 domains.

That.

Plus: Your question is nonsensical because "web site" can mean a lot, beginning with thingies (and users!) of which one can host tens of thousands on a single 2 HU server end not ending with sites for which a single 4 sockets each 24 cores just isn't sufficient.

So, my answer to you is: The specs are "debian. $7. The end is nigh".

• ExonHostExonHost Member, Host Rep

It depends on many factors. It can be a single server or many servers.

• ExonHost said: It depends on many factors. It can be a single server or many servers.

Insight.

• @quick said:

@mfs said:

@Yura said:

@opsflops said:

@quick said:

@Neoon said:

@Yura said:
    Xeon.

Xenon.

Xenia.

Xena, warrior princess.

Zion, Intel's home city.

Zen, AMD's last bastion.

Xanax, my favorite.

Exodia, the Forbidden One.

• A single nameserver can be used by tens or hundreds of different physical servers. A common practice amongst providers was to add between 80 and 100 clients per server.
    But eventually it depends on the resources offered and the hardware resources available on the server and also it depends greatly on the price paid.
    For a shared environment you'd need at least 50 clients per server to cut the costs and 50 more to make it profitable enough.

Thanked by 1Chuck
  • HostlovinHostlovin Member, Host Rep

I heard pentiums 4 can host 1200 geocities sites