Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GDPR vs internal black-lists
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

GDPR vs internal black-lists

loydloyd Member
edited September 2018 in General

Two years ago my French host changed product without my explicit consent started billing me for the new product, so I warned them of future action, and revoked my authorizations in writing and requested my CC be removed from their system but they continued billing so eventually I asked Mastercard for help and they agreed the product change and charges were unauthorized. Btw. I did like this host and if they were not stuck in 1950's with their business practices, I would still be with them. I ended up replacing the CC "just in case".

Now, two years later started account with another French cloud host, trying to pay the bill and my (replaced) CC is coming with error "has a disputed a transaction". Turns out this host is subsidiary of the first company. Not so difficult to identify me, I sent them scan of my ID and pic of me holding it. For some reason they allowed me to create server and only identified me during billing.

Informed current host that even though I am signing up from Canada, I am EU citizen. Not trying to take action, just pay the bill. Anyone used the GDPR to force companies to release themselves from their internal black-list ?

Comments

• loyd said: Anyone used the GDPR to force companies to release themselves from their internal black-list ?

You wouldn't be able to, they're allowed to keep things vital to running the business.

• loydloyd Member
    edited September 2018

Tom, I understand. Too bad, thanks.

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited September 2018

loyd said: company2 has no right to have access to information on file of company1

They do if in fact it is simply a company with a number of brands. Are you sure they are different companies? A name will help otherwise it's all guesses and assumptions.

Edit - You deleted your previous post hence my quote makes no sense.

Thanked by 1Tom
  • Payment data has to be archived for 10 years by law, so if they don't move their stuff to cold storage it will be there for a long time, because most companys don't delete even after 10 years.

• loydloyd Member
    edited September 2018

It gets more interesting. Company2 informed me that they are not blocking my transaction, but payment processor Be2Bill and they suggested I make unblock request to them directly.

@Lee said:
    Edit - You deleted your previous post hence my quote makes no sense.

Sorry, found out Company1 and Company2 are two brands of same, so I edited that post.