Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ponzi sceme? Degoo lifetime cloud storage 2TB/3TB 59.99$/64.99$
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ponzi sceme? Degoo lifetime cloud storage 2TB/3TB 59.99$/64.99$

https://stacksocial.com/sales/degoo-ultimate-2tb-backup-plan-lifetime-subscription

How could these companies beat Google, amazon, microsoft in cloud storage service? Will probably last 1-2 years before they pull the plug and you lose your invested money and your data.

If it's is, this prove that Stacksocial sucks ass because they have done these kind of deals many time for years.

Thanked by 1Kiwi83

Comments

• I don't understand their business plan too.
    2TB costs around 50$. But bills, internet traffic, salary, taxes, etc... I don't understand... It will not work long without big investments from 3rd party side.

• Well I guess it depends on how many people will go for the 1500USD lifetime plan once it isnt reduced anymore.

• Just buy a hdd.

Thanked by 1Yura
  • defaultdefault Veteran
    edited September 2018

Or it depends on how long they will actively support the proprietary softwares involved.

Thanked by 3Aluminat Hxxx vimalware
  • Buying tons of high capacity drives in volume, data deduplication, and most customers not using the majority of their allotment. With deduplication, the more customers you have, the greater the duplication and storage needs as a percentage goes down.

It's doable from an established company that does things right and efficiently, but how many of such companies exist?

• maybe 'someone' behind this. illuminati confirmed.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

TimboJones said: data deduplication

I think banking on dedupe is a bad idea at this point unless you're doing things in 4k chunks or something.

Don't most things that connect to these storage offers all do encryption at this point?

Francisco

• I think they have unlimited storage space because their service is cloud storage.

• @Chuck said:
    I think they have unlimited storage space because their service is cloud storage.

Yes.

Thanked by 2Dazzle Hxxx
  • I'm tired of these types of deals. I had a free SugarSync account (which I loved for the selective sync), and they went all enterprise. Then I earned about a TB of free space with Copy (Barracuda Networks). And then they killed the project. I am really sure they gave out free accounts and space deliberately to test out their product and network, and then they trashed it and suddenly started to offer their own backup service under a different name for enterprise. I just stick with the pros now, Google, Apple, Dropbox.

• "THE MOST SECURE CLOUD DRIVE IN THE WORLD" Well, if their free CloudFlare SSL certificate is anything to go by they definitely don't cut corners or try and save costs.

"People from more than 200 countries have uploaded and secured their files with Degoo." Fairly sure we don't have over 200 countries on our planet, unless you are using the list FIFA produces...

Thanked by 1desperand
  • R3x said: Well, if their free CloudFlare SSL certificate is anything to go by

What's wrong with that, though?

• First-RootFirst-Root Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2018

@R3x said:
    "People from more than 200 countries have uploaded and secured their files with Degoo." Fairly sure we don't have over 200 countries on our planet, unless you are using the list FIFA produces...

It depends if you mean "fully accepted" countries/states. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sovereign_states

But yeah, what a bullshit.

Thanked by 1Slbg91
  • @Tom said:

R3x said: Well, if their free CloudFlare SSL certificate is anything to go by

Reputation. If you go big, you go big and expensive. No shortcuts, no cheapos. You go fully loaded EV ssl.

• @LTniger said:

@Tom said:

Reputation. If you go big, you go big and expensive. No shortcuts, no cheapos. You go fully loaded EV ssl.

Pointless imo

https://scotthelme.co.uk/sites-that-used-to-have-ev/

• @LTniger said:

@Tom said:

CF ssl means that CF is basically a man-in-the-middle. Is hence not secure. During heartbleed (or some other weird ssl bug) cloudflare was leaking data from other websites that used the same proxy.

Thanked by 1mfs
  • @Francisco said:

TimboJones said: data deduplication

I think banking on dedupe is a bad idea at this point unless you're doing things in 4k chunks or something.

Don't most things that connect to these storage offers all do encryption at this point?

Francisco

Good point. They claim user password, which I think negates any dedupe feature. Though, I expect this to be trivial to fake.

"If Dropbox is your bookshelf Degoo is your secure bank vault. Our top secret feature encrypts your files with a passphrase known only by you, not stored in Degoo, encoded into chunks and spead out to data centers in different countries. 100% NSA proof. For real."

I'm the type of snob that refuses a service because of easy typos, reinforcing the sketchy suspicion.

• IonSwitch_StanIonSwitch_Stan Member, Host Rep

They are running on Google Cloud, and Google even published a paper on them: https://cloud.google.com/customers/degoo/

So they are paying for google “s3”, at 0.010c (published), or probably 0.005c/gb to entice them to move off aws, and volume.

Assuming I use 1.2T of the 2T, they are paying $6/m to store my data.

They must be trying to get critical mass by buying customers, and pushing people back to a monthly model or ads. There’s no way this is sustainable even assuming they get a huge discount.

Thanked by 2Chuck TimboJones
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

It is sustainable until it is unsustainable. That's how these type of business work.

• Our top secret feature encrypts your files with a passphrase known only by you, not stored in Degoo, encoded into chunks and spead out to data centers in different countries. 100% NSA proof. For real.

Anyone who writes that about their product deserves a scorn and a pass. Fucking clowns.

• they did start with a EU research grant, which also tells a little bit about the idea behind it: https://cordis.europa.eu/project/rcn/207422_en.html

and for what its worth: i bought a similar stacksocial-deal from zoolz 3 years ago and it still works fine. if they disappear tomorrow i paid < 1 USD per Month for 1 TB of Amazon Glacier Storage.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Selling something for a loss doesn't mean you're limited to never selling anything else for a profit. One sell can subsidize another. One can make a lot of arguments about the value of word of mouth, and great deals do generate that.

Just remember it's not your lifetime, it's theirs.

Thanked by 1hostdare
  • desperand said: I don't understand...

They just trying to fill up their bank accounts to many years in advance and cover all bills in advance, or simply disapear if not handle it.