Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can someone recommend a cheap, anti Fake DMCA dedicated server provider?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Can someone recommend a cheap, anti Fake DMCA dedicated server provider?

No, I'm not asking for a DMCA-Free server. I'm not planning to upload pirate content of any kind. What I want is a provider that will take more than 5 seconds to look at a DMCA complaint and realize it's bullshit.

My last server had to shutdown because some pissed off guy sent me a DMCA takedown request to the e-mail of my provider for sharing SCREENSHOTS of his website, marked it as copyright theft, and they didn't even hesitate to take it down.

It was a server in the Netherlands by WorldStream. Right now, I'm looking for other ones. So far, the closest one I've found was Maple-Hosting, which has a strong anti fake DMCA policy and only accepts valid DMCA requests through postal mail.

Does anybody know of similar anti-bullshit providers?

Comments

• pikepike Veteran
    edited September 2018

@cociu announced a new dedi promotion in arround 2 weeks. He is your man for this kind of thing but take care about your sister.

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

We look into all DMCA reports. The vast majority we receive are bogus surprisingly. I imagine there is some dodgy automation going on.

We do not IGNORE, so if you're genuinely infringing, we wont cover for you. But if the complaint is bogus, then you're safe.

Would you be interested in a HK or LT dedicated server?

• HukinHukin Member
    edited September 2018

Everyone outside US and EU, many countries operated under local laws only

• @Hukin said:
    Everyone outside US and EU, many countries operated under local laws only.

WorldStream was a server from the Netherlands, they still accepted the bogus DMCA.

• @randvegeta said:
    We look into all DMCA reports. The vast majority we receive are bogus surprisingly. I imagine there is some dodgy automation going on.

We do not IGNORE, so if you're genuinely infringing, we wont cover for you. But if the complaint is bogus, then you're safe.

Do you accept takedown requests by e-mail?

• mfsmfs Banned, Member

Hukin said: many countries operated under local laws only

Every country operates under local laws, "DMCA" is just a short and common way to mean "copyright infringement notice". Pretty much any country in WIPO/WTO recognizes these kind of notices, so unless you're planning to rent a VPS in Western Sahara you're not really likely to find a country which outright ignores copyright laws. What OP is asking ain't an allegedly DMCA-Free service, just someone reasonable (we're missing a good portion of the context he's referring to yet we may agree that sharing a screenshot should fall within fair use everywhere)

@AliS said:

@randvegeta said:

Do you accept takedown requests by e-mail?

We review all abuse reports by email.

But we do review the complaints. If its bogus they are ignored.

• armandorgarmandorg Member, Host Rep

Why would a provider accept a fake DMCA report? Do they automatically put your host down as soon as a complain arrives? This is non-sense and the provider should review the complains and take no actions unless proved.

• Yes some providers either panic or believe that all DMCA complaints come from magic unicorns and are as pure as Artic snow. They drop you faster then a switch flip and refuse access to your data.

@armandorg said:
    Why would a provider accept a fake DMCA report? Do they automatically put your host down as soon as a complain arrives? This is non-sense and the provider should review the complains and take no actions unless proved.

You'd be surprised. Actually it's quite common. When we had servers with other providers, they would occasionally receive the abuse report and basically it was a case of being "guilty till proven innocent". Most reports were taken at their word and it was upto me to provide information that showed otherwise.

On the other hand, I also understand that following up with such reports are often a time consuming pain in the arse. It's easier to pass the buck than do any investagatiry work.

Since I dont enjoy playing detective (especially at my own cost an detriment), I insist that reports submitted show where the violation takes place that I can reproduce within 5 mins. It is normally a company that is sending out all these take down requests, and if they dont provide all the info, they are not doing their jobs, and I'm not interested in doing the job (that they get paid for) for them.

It is a waste of time in most cases though.

Thanked by 2dedipromo eLohkCalb
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

ioflood are pretty good, they will send you an abuse notice but they will also listen like humans.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • Veesp in Russia, check my signature if you want.

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

Feel free to use our services in front of your existing host.

Anything bogus will most certainly be ignored, and you are welcome to discuss any abuse notice we do forward.

• default said: Veesp in Russia, check my signature if you want.

Affiliate link

• DETioDETio Member
    edited September 2018

Packet.net will forward DMCA requests to customers automatically, we then hear what the customer has to say.

Having your node compromised can also occur, in these scenarios if the node is receiving abuse requests (Port Scans, BruteForce, DDOS) the public network is disabled where customers can then access the node via SOS and restore data & then redeploy a fresh server.

You won't be dropped if your not doing anything illegal, but they also have no tolerance to any illegal activity and the sign up process is vetted.

• Leaseweb. They have abuse resolving tool, which let you handle reports yourself

• why would you look for a provider who spends time reviewing fake DMCA reports while there are lots of providers who can simply ignore them?

are you planning to catch a legitimate DMCA report?

• I also had to fight a few fake DMCA requests when I used WorldStream. I recommend using something to hide your real IP.

• @drakula said:
    why would you look for a provider who spends time reviewing fake DMCA reports while there are lots of providers who can simply ignore them?

If you can tell me a REAL DMCA-ignored provider, I'll be more than happy to give it a look. Because so far, out of all "DMCA ignored" servers that have been recommended in this site, I've spoken with the customer support of most of them and they said they'd drop my website on a whim if it happened.

• AliSAliS Member
    edited September 2018

@Wicked said:
    I also had to fight a few fake DMCA requests when I used WorldStream. I recommend using something to hide your real IP.

I have Cloudflare, but they give the real IP real fast if the words "DMCA" are sent to them in any context. Can you recommend any alternatives?

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited September 2018

@AliS Check out Maple Hosting :) Not the cheapest for sure but may be good for your case.
    They have a special page for dmca:

https://www.maple-hosting.com/blog/dmca-ignoring-safe-netherlands-vps-hosting-dedicated-servers-hosting/

in which they also state:

"Maple-Hosting will generally ignore copyright complaints submitted via email...More importantly, to help reduce the number of empty threats and improper use of the law, it is our policy to require that abuse complaints will be submitted through postal mail."

• @Ympker said:
    @AliS Check out Maple Hosting :) Not the cheapest for sure but may be good for your case.

https://www.maple-hosting.com/blog/dmca-ignoring-safe-netherlands-vps-hosting-dedicated-servers-hosting/

"Maple-Hosting will generally ignore copyright complaints submitted via email...More importantly, to help reduce the number of empty threats and improper use of the law, it is our policy to require that abuse complaints will be submitted through postal mail."

Yes, Maple-Hosting is my #1 choice for now. I'm just checking if there are any other alternatives before making a final decision. Keep in mind I share my server with another guy and he's concerned about prices, whereas I'm concerned about privacy.

• @AliS said:

@Ympker said:

Yes, Maple-Hosting is my #1 choice for now. I'm just checking if there are any other alternatives before making a final decision. Keep in mind I share my server with another guy and he's concerned about prices, whereas I'm concerned about privacy.

Ah my bad :O Didn't see Maple hosting mentioned in the OP.. Must be my lazy vacation mode I'm in atm xD Beach all day^^

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@drakula said:
    why would you look for a provider who spends time reviewing fake DMCA reports while there are lots of providers who can simply ignore them?

Like any of those EU hosts that Don’t follow DMCA but equal, arguably much broader, EU legislation ?

• ralphralph Member
    edited September 2018

We have ToS/AUP that are compatible with your needs.