Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Host1Plus VPS price rise: 825%?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Host1Plus VPS price rise: 825%?

I was a customer of Host1Plus VPS in Brazilian datacenter (Sao Paulo), used to pay 2USD/month for a 1 core, 256mb, 20GB VPS.

Now they rise the price to 18.5USD/month: if I calculated right (which I may didn't :D), it's a 825% price rise? Without any rise in the specs?

Leaving in the next payment term :)

Comments

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

They dropped the cheapo vps boxen as it seems, so yea.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

That wouldn’t be the only thing they are fairly known to raise out of the blue.

• I'm sure their excuses are to benefit the CEO and their best friends.

• They have/had been losing money like crazy -- at one point they were spamming me bi-weekly I think? They also purposely pushed most of their smaller customers off before and this seems like they are just finishing cleaning house. I had service with them for about a year but at the end of my stay services had started to decline and I believe at the same time they had started to mention raising their prices. I decided to get out while the getting was good and dropped their services at the beginning of the year while I still felt things were at least mediocre and figured I would get out before I was either forced by cost or service degradation.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Gotta make up for all the ips blacklisted for click fraud.

Francisco

Thanked by 1adxn
  • hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider

Even in IP leasing , they are known to sudden IP price increase for no reasons .

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

Chuck said: I'm sure their excuses are to benefit the CEO and their best friends.

I don't know. They have a pretty sizeable team and a 'fancy' office. Maybe the cheap stuff just wasn't worth continuing with and they are cutting their losses.

Francisco said: Gotta make up for all the ips blacklisted for click fraud.

Oh? As far as I'm aware, they have a shit ton of IPs. How many of them are blacklisted?

hostdare said: Even in IP leasing , they are known to sudden IP price increase for no reasons .

We lease some IPs from them. Have done for the past 4 years now. They have not increased the prices of existing IP leases. Only new ones.

randvegeta said: We lease some IPs from them. Have done for the past 4 years now. They have not increased the prices of existing IP leases. Only new ones.

be careful when our existing price was increased mid term

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

We were a very long client of theirs and they raised pricing once they realized we've put customers on there. It was a single customer, who I finally renumbered an year and a half later and canceled everything from them last month, for this exact reason.

Thanked by 1hostdare

I had renumber like 400 or more customers , it was headache

• At some point they were going to have to make some money. They have had some exotic locations fairly cheap for a long time now. Simple economics says this will not work when everything is going up.

They did away with their free ones a long time ago and this was inevitable.

• estnocestnoc Member, Patron Provider

@Clouvider said:
    That wouldn’t be the only thing they are fairly known to raise out of the blue.

+1 to thisone!

• estnocestnoc Member, Patron Provider

@randvegeta said:

We lease some IPs from them. Have done for the past 4 years now. They have not increased the prices of existing IP leases. Only new ones.

How come you had such a luck? ours went up for more than quarter! all existingones.

randvegeta said: Oh? As far as I'm aware, they have a shit ton of IPs. How many of them are blacklisted?

Host1plus is deeply involved in the "methbot" crap. They had 10's of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, of IP's used in the act.

Francisco

• asterisk14asterisk14 Member
    edited September 2018

@Francisco said:

randvegeta said: Oh? As far as I'm aware, they have a shit ton of IPs. How many of them are blacklisted?

Host1plus is deeply involved in the "methbot" crap. They had 10's of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, of IP's used in the act.

Francisco

Were you not hosting your business from a basement/attic at one point and misleading people about it?

asterisk14 said: Were you not hosting your business from a basement/attic at one point and misleading people about it?

Nope, office space.

A little different to be hosting in "not true DC space" and "we willingly took part in defrauding companies out of millions".

Francisco

• ricardoricardo Member
    edited September 2018

Reminds me I need to change my home insurance. £90 a year when I started with them 6 years ago, up to £160 now.

There's a price to laziness and convenience.

Francisco said: Gotta make up for all the ips blacklisted for click fraud.

Source for that? Might be some entertaining bedtime reading. Doubt it's all that sophisticated if it's 1 host and public knowledge tho

ricardo said: Source for that? Might be some entertaining bedtime reading. Doubt it's all that sophisticated if it's 1 host and public knowledge tho

Just lookup "methbot". A large chunk (most?) of the IP's are H1P.

Francisco

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

@asterisk14 said:

@Francisco said:

Francisco

Were you not hosting your business from a basement/attic at one point and misleading people about it?

What's wrong with basement/attic hosting :D.

Back in 2014, around the time we launched our LT presence, all our servers were running in my basement/office. It sounds worse than it was...

1.) The basement was a proper space, fully renovated and doubled as my office. Aside from the lack of natural light, it was a fine space :).

2.) We started off basically providing free VPS. And most of our paying customers either knew it was in a basement, or were buying our HK servers.

I kind of miss those days. It was fun running a couple dozen servers at home. Though truthfully it was just an excuse to spend a few grand on a couple of connections to do proper multi-gigabit at home... honestly it's painful going back to regular broadband now...

@Francisco said:

Francisco

What's a methbot?

randvegeta said: What's a methbot?

https://www.whiteops.com/methbot

Francisco

• ikkizenho said: Leaving in the next payment term

Leave it right now so you perhaps don't get billed something you don't want to pay.

• @Francisco said:

randvegeta said: What's a methbot?

https://www.whiteops.com/methbot

Francisco

profit generates $3 to $5 million in fraudulent revenue per day from 1 group in Russia with a little of work?

I'm wondering if I was tricked by my teacher and school education system because I paid Tuition fees while study my ass off to get a lame job.

• Get $8 KVM from local provider instead with better specs and perfomanse.