Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Suggestions for a low cost provider for running honeypots
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Suggestions for a low cost provider for running honeypots

A few months down the line, I have plans to run honeypots on multiple VPSes. I'm looking for a provider that can offer:

• >= 512 MB RAM
  • Decent read/write and CPU performance.
  • Has dedicated IPv4 and IPv6 addresses, or at least IPv4 only.
  • Preferably, the provider should have multiple discontiguous IP ranges, or even better has presence in different locations. This way, I will be able to collect information about different types of attacks. (I could get VPSes from different providers, but I'd prefer to get them from the same provider so that it becomes easier to manage stuff.)
  • Low cost (since paying for 10 or more servers gets out of hand quickly), but isn't absolutely crap either ;)

Regarding the "crap provider" bit, I had considered Alpharacks (yes, you're reading it right :P ) on the account of their low costs, but they seem to have this annoying habit of not shutting down the server properly to perform maintenance, which means none of my shutdown scripts run correctly, and on occasion will corrupt databases. So, please don't suggest crap providers like that :)

Aruba seems to be a nice provider with cheap and decently specced VPSes, but I'm unwilling to buy 10 VPSes under the 1EUR/mo segment since I might get 10 VPSes in the same IP ranges. Selecting the server location pushes up the cost to 2.8EUR/mo.

Are there any other providers who can serve my need?

Comments

• they seem to have this annoying habit of not shutting down the server properly to perform maintenance

as well as not turning on servers automatically after the maintenance.

Thanked by 1Claverhouse
  • bulbasaurbulbasaur Member
    edited September 2018

So, judging by the lack of responses, apparently I'm looking for an unicorn... ?

Also, has anyone ever ordered multiple VPSes from Aruba? In that case, what kind of IP allocation did you get? Did you get everything in the same location, or did you get different locations?

• @stevewatson301 said:
    So, judging by the lack of responses, apparently I'm looking for an unicorn... ?

Also, has anyone ever ordered multiple VPSes from Aruba? In that case, what kind of IP allocation did you get? Did you get everything in the same location, or did you get different locations?

Got the same several time, if you mean the 1€ offer. You can select a specific location for 2,49€.

• HaendlerITHaendlerIT Member, Host Rep

Hi. I can offer for 6 € per month three vServer with 1 GB RAM at 3 different locations and IP Ranges: Germany Düsseldorf, Germany Frankfurt and Netherlands Eygelshoven

• Use OVH public cloud, you can use their API for automatic deployment.